Please sign in to post.

Sydney, Australia

Has anyone stayed at the Hyde Park Inn in Sydney? We will be staying there next month and would love to have some dining recommendations nearby. Thanks, Pammm

Posted by
703 posts

pam, I haven't stayed there are but am very familiar with the area. it is very central and it easy walking distance to the queen victoria building ( for shopping) as it connects (underground ) to lots of other shops/malls etc. and town hall train station.
you will be not far from going to the darling harbour area, plenty of food options there. Sydney has dining options from the least expensive ( say at paddies market- food court etc) to fine dining at numerous places. and every type of cuisine. so check out trip advisor etc. having a nice meal overlooking the harbour ( say near the opera house/circular quay) is a good option. especially at night , this time of year. plenty of choices there as well.
for getting around you will need to use an OPAL card ( similar to those used in other major cities) where you just tap on and off on trains/buses. etc. so to get down town, say to the rocks/harbour area catch the train a few stops. Or walking is an option most of the footpaths are wide, undercover and generally pretty clean and not huge distances, but don't discount public transport. no real need for taxis, (or uber) although they are plentiful
while I don't live in Sydney I do appreciate how nice a city it is. especially with the harbour and surrounds. hope you enjoy your time there. the weather can be very warm this time of year.

hope this helps.

Posted by
7661 posts

We stayed at the Hilton in Sydney in 2013 that is in the same area. The Hilton is across the street from the QVB that is worth a visit. We walked everywhere in Sydney from there, including down to the Opera House for an opera and to see the Rocks and walk up the Piles on the famous Sydney Harbor Bridge.

The bridge has a bridge walk that costs about $150 but you can walk up to the top of the piles (at the end of the bridge) for about $15. On the bridge walk, you can't take your camera to take photos. You can doing the piles and you go up about 2/3 of the way of the hight of the bridge walk.

Also, recommend a Harbor cruise, tour including Bondi beach, Hunter Valley wine tour, Blue Mountains and a day at Darling Harbor.

Posted by
4044 posts

Google Maps can get you started. Type in the hotel name to get the map, then on the left side of the page click on 'nearby' and it will give you functions to search for restaurants and for pubs. It isn't comprehensive and does not guarantee quality, but it will contain some links to the establishments which you can follow in looking for user reviews. www.googlemaps.com

Posted by
2822 posts

Staying in the CBD you'll have plenty of choices nearby.
If you don't mind traveling a little further afield, there are several very nice places in the Rocks - just south of the Park Hyatt hotel, and actually not far from the Overseas Passenger Terminal where your cruise ship will be docking. There's a cluster of places right next to the harbor side promenade that are quite nice, with the added attraction of having a "pinch me, I'm here" view of the Opera House just across the Quay. An after dinner walk around to Circular Quay and the Opera House is a truly delightful way to end your day, and if you extend until after dark when the lights come on it's absolutely magical.

Posted by
7175 posts