Please sign in to post.

Stans - Visiting the five Stans in May/June 2020

I will be visiting Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan in April/May 2020. I will be part of a very small group (the itinerary is planned) but would like suggestions of experiences not to miss during my free time. Also, any other tips of money exchange, FOOD (yum!), and anything else you can think of are welcome.

I am also interested in your thoughts of what countries/places I should visit before and after this trip. I am coming from Mexico and will have 4-5 days available on each end of the Stans. FYI, I begin the Stans in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan and end in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan.

Posted by
1547 posts

Do a search - I have posted previously on some of my experiences there.

Other places to visit after the trip would be Iran and the Caucasus (Azerbaijan, Georgia, Armenia) - though you will need to figure out the border and the visa situations.

Money - ATMs work so use them - exception is in Uzbekistan where the black market rate is so much higher. Google it to find the latest rate. Warning - the highest bill is fairly small so changing even $100 will result in a huge stack of bills. I needed a plastic bag when I changed $300.