Please sign in to post.

Sort of solo in Namibia

Hi, all -- I'm looking into going to Namibia with a tour group later this spring. I was just wondering how safe it is for a solo female trying to get around Windhoek. While I would be with the tour group most of the time outside Windhoek, I'd be flying into/out of the capital and undoubtedly find myself having to do some things alone from time to time. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Posted by
7029 posts

There are no alerts or warnings on the State Dept website for Namibia, other than to exercise normal precautions. While the State Dept does not specify information for Windhoek other than for the country in general, for myself, as a solo female traveler, I would not worry excessively about safety there.
From their website:

Crime: Non-violent crimes of opportunity are the most common incidents reported by foreigners and include pick pocketing, purse snatching, ATM card skimming, and vehicle thefts and break-ins. Criminals sometimes brandish knives and guns. Violent crimes, including murder and rape, and property crimes increased in Windhoek over the last year. Robberies occur at roadside rest stops.

Dress conservatively.
Avoid walking alone, especially after dark, and displaying cash and valuable personal property.
Make sure your hotel room or residence is well secured, including windows.
Keep your credit card in your sight at all times while it is being processed. Consider using prepaid credit cards with limited funds when traveling.

Posted by
4573 posts

I would also consider posting on travel forums with direct feedback from locals....or at least lurk and search those forums.
I know I previously researched a Namibia self-drive, but didn't plan on spending any time in Windhoek. I jad no safety concerns, but things can change quickly and best to get reassurance from those on the ground.

Posted by
1556 posts

Just a very small data point - not sure where you will be spending your time - I only spent 1 night in downtown Windhoek which fell on the weekend and the downtown area was fairly deserted with most things closed. It didn't feel unsafe and we did walk around to explore the area but didn't encounter too many people. My assumption is that it would be different if it was on a weekday. This was from about 5 years ago.