Here's an updated plan....any further input would be most appreciated...specifically, am I biting off too much distance for the daily drives? (I tried to max out at ~150 miles/day, and I don't know if that's a bridge too far, so to speak.)
Sat 10/2 Arrive Hartford Airport around 6 PM. Rent car, drive to Middlebury, VT.
4 nights here.
One day, cross into New York and either drive up towards Lake Placid or up Lake Champlain, just depends on leaves.
Another day, drive north to Burlington, Stowe, then back to Middlebury via Hancock.
Another day, drive south Woodstock then back up to Middlebury
10/6 Drive to Littleton NH Another 4 night stay
One day each, drive around west and east sides of I-93 through White Mountain National Forest, including Kancamagus Hwy.
Another day, drive to Bethel, ME, to Fryeburg ME, then back to Littleton
10/10 Drive to Springfield MA
10/11 Fly home from Hartford
I know the end of this is the holiday weekend, but hoping that by going back to MA on Sunday will allow to miss most of mess (of course, I could be very wrong!)
(Original Post following...)
I have (refundable) plans for a trip to Venice in October, but if that is not possible (and if travel to New York State/New England is possible), I would love to hear some ideas on a trip with these rough and flexible parameters...
- 8-9 nights
- Round-trip from an airport in the area (Hartford perhaps?)
- Renting a car (this isn't flexible)
- 3 primary purposes--landscapes, quant old towns, and historical places (and photography of these)
- Travelling solo, would like to keep lodging around $100/night
- Preliminary thought something like Hartford up to Lake Saranac and back
- Would prefer limiting one-night stays, but if that's the way to go then so be it
- Have never been to this area before, so all sights will be new to me
I would appreciate any input on an itinerary, specific sights that you've enjoyed, and lodging or food recommendations. Thank you!