Please sign in to post.

Safe to travel to Egypt Spring 2024??

I'm looking to book a 12 day tour to Egypt in early March. Any thoughts on traveling to this part of the world with the Israel/Hamas conflict?

Posted by
8417 posts

I'm sure that there are lots of thoughts out there. I recently read that the Israeli Army spokesman said that the war may continue throughout all of 2024. The question that really only you can answer if how comfortable are you traveling to a country with a direct border to a country at war? Some people will feel comfortable with this and others will not. Whatever you decide, make sure that your travel insurance will cover cancellation in case of war. Most will not and you would need to pay a bit more for the "cancel for any reason" coverage.

Another insurance "option" is to add a security feature to your existing medical evacuation insurance. In my case, I have Medjet for medical evacuation. They have additional coverage called Horizon which covers (quoting from their website) "MedjetHorizon includes all the medical benefits of a MedjetAssist Membership, plus worldwide travel security, crisis response and evacuation services powered by FocusPoint International." I think that means if you get in a situation where you are struggling to get out on your own, they help you. If I was truly worried about my trip, I would probably just cancel at that point, but this type of insurance could make a difference for some people.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the reply Carol. I've read lots of warnings on the Internet but I know Rick Steve's travelers have a more open view of travel and I wanted their thoughts. I appreciate the suggestion of additional insurance coverage. This will be my first time traveling alone (I've traveled extensively as a couple) so I'm trying to put a lot of thought into my comfort levels. Happy travels!

Posted by
18078 posts

I'm not worried about bordering a war. I do that now.

However, the religious or ciltural or however you want to define it, unrest concerns me. Not just in Egypt, but in a lot of places.

There have been terrorist attacks on tourists in Egypt in the past, and it smells ripe for it to happen again. For me, that's just being realistic and not necessarily a reason not to go. That's a personal comfort and risk assessment.

And yes, I've been to Egypt. Loved it, and I would love to return when things settle down enough for me to really enjoy it.

My choices for travel right now include, will I feel comfortable wearing a kippah? If not, plenty of other places to visit.

Posted by
7688 posts

We had a great tour of Egypt in January 2023.
The government provides an armed guard with every tour.
Egypt has a history of military governments. I believe it is safe to visit Egypt, but do it on a tour.

Posted by
937 posts

I've edited out some historical political commentary to try and keep this thread on track. Please stay on topic so that this thread can remain for the OP and others.

Posted by
52 posts

In 2003 my husband and I toured Egypt and I loved it! I really want to see the new museum when it opens, but I just turned 79, so I don't know if I will get there.

Posted by
3210 posts

The government provides an armed guard with every tour.

This is mainly why I have not been to Egypt. I don't want to travel anywhere there needs to be an armed guard. Whatever the reason is for the armed guards, doesn't matter to me. I'll just have to accept that I will likely never get there. Unfortunately, in life, some places must move off the list, but there are so many places left to enjoy without the stress of worrying about violence.

Posted by
18078 posts

Wray, that's not an unreasonable limit. All we can do is pray for better. Cause I've been there, worked with them and for the most part absolutely beautiful people.