Please sign in to post.

Safari in Botswana - Budget

Planning a mobile or fly-in safari in Botswana for 2 of us in December. Have gotten wonderful ideas from this forum of safari operators to contact to schedule a safari but am wondering what the range of cost is. We are planning for a private or small group safari in tented camps (NOT luxury accommodations). Because we want to travel to areas including Chobe down to northern Central Kalahari we may need to do a fly-in safari. I know group size, accommodations etc. heavily influence cost but am wondering if anyone else has done a safari covering such a large area and one for approximately 3 weeks or longer. Just would like to get an idea of range of costs and the kind of safari you took. The guide books I'm using either don't mention cost ranges or are an edition several years old. Would appreciate any information. Thanking you in advance.

Posted by
7640 posts

I have researched safaris in the Kenya Tanzania area of Africa.

I found budget safaris on up to premier class safaris. There was one firm that required you to bring your own sleeping bag. My Wife and I are 70 and preferred premier class. I found some excellent firms with good ratings.

Top Operators:
Big Five Tours & Expeditions 7 days from $6,000.
Cottars Safari Service 7 days from $5,950.
Extraordinary Journeys 7 days from $3,500.
Journeys by Design 8 days from $7,395.
Micato Safaris 7 days from $11,200.
Safari & Conservation Company 9 days from $4,997.
TWIGA TOURS 12 days
Greatest Wildlife and Cultural Experience $4340 pp
https://www.stridetravel.com/trips/twiga-tours/greatest-wildlife-and-cultural-experience

Here is a link to a budget type safari that you might like.
https://www.onthegotours.com/Kenya/Best-of-Kenya-and-Tanzania-11-days#tabs

Posted by
8293 posts

To get useful information for the type of safari you want, you really need to contact a couple of safari companies. Your requirements are very specific and it would surprise me if anyone on this forum were to have the information you seek. It sounds like a very expensive safari, in any case.

Posted by
1555 posts

Once you get to Joburg or to Botswana, you shouldn't have to do a fly in as all places in Botswana should be accessible. The only place you would need to fly into would be the Okavango delta - highly recommended.

There are lots of tour operators to choose from - you just need to do some research based on your price points and the # of days you are planning on being on safari.

If you are planning on 3 weeks in this area, it possibly seems too much. If just concentrating on Botwsana, I would think 7-10 days would be ample time to cover the Central Kalahari, Okavango delta, Chobe. You can easily include Victoria falls with another couple of days.

The Caprivi strip of Namibia is also close by.

A couple of other points:
- Maun in Central Botsawana seems to be the location with quite a few tour operators. Our flight into the Okavango took off from here (small 5 seater planes)
- Botswana is not associated with low cost safaris - the country much perfers well heeled tourists. If you are trying to keep costs down, then look to Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia or Uganda.

About 5 years ago, we did an overland trip with Nomad Africa and loved it.
https://nomadtours.co.za/this-year/cape-town-to-victoria-falls/