Please sign in to post.

Quebec City & Montreal in May 2019

First time to these 2 cities and will take a train from NYC, using public transportation. I have 5 days not including to and from and want to know where to stay inexpensively and what to see and where to eat (vegetarian is the only restriction).

Posted by
398 posts

We have stayed at the Hotel du Vieux Quebec in Quebec City at least 6 times over the years, it is one of my favorite hotels. It is centrally located in the old city. We've always found the price to be very reasonable considering the location. If you book directly with the hotel, each morning they deliver breakfast to your door for free - usually a few freshly baked pastries, some juice, yogurt, cheese, and fruit. Free wifi too. It's wonderful. I give it my highest recommendation.

In Montreal, I've stayed a few places that I liked. The Hotel le Dauphin Montreal Centre-Ville is in a very good location, close to the old city. This is not a fancy hotel, but it was pretty inexpensive and nice. Free wifi and continental breakfast. I've also stayed at what was formerly the Hyatt Regency in Montreal, and is now a DoubleTree by Hilton, on Rue Jeanne Mance (I stayed when it was a Hyatt). The hotel was really nice, just refurbished, with a gorgeous swimming pool. I suspect this one will be a little more expensive.

Vegetarian is a big restriction. You'll find that Quebecois cuisine is pretty meat-centric. You'll have an easier time in Montreal.

Posted by
184 posts

We visited Montreal and Quebec City a few years ago and loved it. In Montreal we took the Mile End Food Tour and the tour began at the Green Panther vegan restaurant where we enjoyed a delicious falafel sandwich. The tour guide was knowledgeable and provided tons of information about the city, culture, history and food. I highly recommend the tour. It was with Local Montreal Food Tours.

Posted by
4573 posts

It' not a lot of days for the 2 cities, particularly considering transit between the two.
May can be a beautiful month for the Montreal Botanical Gardens. The Biodome is nearby as is the baseball stadium. I got a Priceline cost at the Hotel Universal Montreal in that area. I needed parking, but it is accessible by public transit
If you don't know the website, I suggest checking out Happy Cow website for all your travel food needs. It has been around about as long as the WWW and lists both restaurants and grocery stores for vefan, vegetarian and GF/DF options.

Posted by
41 posts

IRT what to see, I don't know what interests you.

Montreal is a large city with a good subway system. It has enough to keep you going full time for three days; once you do your research and decide what YOU want to see.

QC is a wonderful small city. Stay within the walled city. Walk a lot. Enjoy the narrow streets. Enjoy being immersed in the French being spoken around you. It will feel like Europe. Visit Plains of Abraham, and the original town [old old town] next to the river, Chateau Frontenac and the lookout over the river.
Cheap accommodations. Hostels

Posted by
703 posts

We have also stayed at Hotel de Vieux Quebec & it is wonderful. The breakfast basket is great and everything is so close. We loved it. We're going again the end of April and are staying at Le Champlain Hotel. My daughter stayed there and she said it was very nice also. Enjoy your trip, although I agree 5 days isn't enough for both cities. (We are staying 5 nights just in Quebec City)

Posted by
380 posts

I just got back from Montreal, took the train from NYC. Sit on the right side going up and the left back down. Lake Champlain is gorgeous. Pack a picnic! There is limited food and drink available on the train. Bring a book and just be ready to relax. It's a long trip, but I found it very enjoyable.

The museum suggestions here are good; I also suggest the MFA. It's not huge, but the collection is good and well-curated. The McCord museum is also very nice; it placed a higher focus on First Nations art and artifacts.

Garde Manger. Make a reservation. Sit at the bar and let them fix a menu for you after you explain your dietary preferences--they can and will accommodate. Expect to pay about $150 CN each before tip, but it's worth it and a lovely, lovely experience (actually, you might come off a lot cheaper because I added a seafood course to mine.)

St Viateur bagels is always recommended, and they're delicious. However, consider the newer sister location on Avenue Mont-Royal, where there is a bright, fresh seating area. Bagels are made fresh there as well. A bagel breakfast includes your choice of bagel and cream cheese (many choices) and a few slices of melon, plus coffee. $10 each including a generous tip.

I mostly just wandered around in the cold drizzle (I knew to expect this; it's been this way both times I've been there), stopped and ate when I felt like it, wandered into shops and used bookstores, spent as long as I wanted in museums, and admired the great street art.

I stayed in an AirBnB which suited my purposes, but I really wouldn't recommend that particular listing for a couple unless you're on a very strict budget.

Hope you enjoy your trip!