Please sign in to post.

Quebec City - December 2018

Last minute trip to Quebec City next week (December 10, 2018). Recommendation on a hotel downtown I want to park and walk everywhere. Also restaurants - looking for a nice upscale place for dinner and a few good places for lunch. Last minute trip so I have no idea what the local cuisine is and the must have dishes to eat while I'm there. Would also appreciate suggestions of must sees.

Now that I've decided to go I'm worried I don't have enough time to plan! All suggestions are appreciated.

Posted by
1336 posts

I LOVE Quebec City and have stayed there 2 summers in the last 3 years. There is no "Downtown" per say. You the upper town and the lower town. In the lower town I suggest "Le Germain" and in the upper town I would suggest The Chateau Frontenac if you can swing it, if not Hotel Place Royal isn't a bad spot to stay in.

If you really want to save money and have an easier time parking your car, I suggest the Saint Roch neighborhood. It is about a 20 minute walk to the Chateau Frontenac (up hill) or extremely easy to visit by bus (10 min away...Bus 801 is your best friend) There is a great Best Western (about 37 USD while you are there. CRAZY GOOD) there and the neighborhood is newly gentrified with lovely shops and restaurants. One of my favorite parts of the city. There is also Hotel Pur there that is nice..

Restaurants: In the Saint-Roch area there is a great place called L'Affaire est Ketchup.
In the old part of the city there are some Quebecois chains that are excellent: Le cochin dingue, Le lapin saute, and one other. The oldest restaurant in the city, Aux Anciens Canadiens is worth a lunch stop.
To splurge, look no farther than Le Saint Amour.

Of course, maple syrup is all the rage. So is game. Take some walking tours and talk to the people . They are wonderful.

if I can help, let me know!

Posted by
7049 posts

Luckily, there is hardly any planning required. Just show up at the excellent Visitors Center and they'll help you with everything. The tourist infrastructure is very good and comprehensive, so leave the work to them. The walled city is quite small, containing an Upper and Lower town (and some cool neighborhoods right adjacent like St. Roch). You can leisurely see it all in 2 days or so. "Poutine" is very popular, as well as other comfort food. If you don't have a car with you, then all the better since you'll have to pay to park it outside the walled city. The neighborhoods outside the walled city are perfectly nice, within walking distance, local, and accessible and will be undoubtedly easier to deal with the parking situation if the car is a "must".

If you have a few minutes, you can peruse this site but, really, there's not much pre-trip planning required for such a compact place. Everywhere is close and walkable, just bundle up because it will be quite cold.
https://www.quebecregion.com/en/old-quebec-winter/

Posted by
1366 posts

A second vote for Le Germain. Parking is limited but we secured a spot for our entire 5 day visit and walked everywhere. Breakfast was excellent as was the service and concierge.

Posted by
4573 posts

I stayed at Le Champlain Hotel. A boutique hotel near the upper reaches of 'upper town'. On a small street so quiet, rooms with fireplace, jacuzzi as well as full bathrooms. Breakfast was a little weak, but included. There was a serve yourself wine bar (not included) and a front door key for entry after the front desk closed up for the night.
I have no idea about parking, but if you are flying in, you are better off without a car. Old Quebec has lots of one way streets and parking is difficult to impossible.
You can use the Hilton, Delta or Marriott in a similar area near the Convention Centre on Blvd Rene-Levesque which is a short walk to upper old town, Plains of Abraham and the riverside boardwalk. But they should offer parking.

Posted by
51 posts

I loved my stay at Maison du Fort and can recommend it without reservation. Clean and inviting rooms, well located in the Upper Town on a quiet side street but close to attractions. Coffee and pastries are served each morning.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you all to helped with recommendations. The Frontenac was amazing and the perfect place to stay for the first trip. Dinner at Saint Amour was the best.