Please sign in to post.

Puerto Rico 🇵🇷 2019

Have never been to Puerto Rico. Thinking of going to San Juan and visiting quiet beaches. Any recommendations for a nice but not to expensive hotel in San Juan and any suggestions about beaches and how to get to them? Thanks ahead of time.

Posted by
381 posts

We spent two weeks in Puerto Rico in December 2018 and enjoyed it tremendously. Although we spent two nights in a somewhat expensive boutique hotel right in Old San Juan, we also spent two nights in a relatively inexpensive vacation rental in Isla Verde that was half a block from a very nice beach where we swam. I believe we would have been able to take a public bus from Isla Verde to Old San Juan pretty easily. In addition, Isla Verde is pretty close to the island's main international airport.

Isla Verde also had a terrific modern supermarket within walking distance where we were able to buy the salads that we prefer when we travel, which were otherwise quite hard to find on the island. Apparently Puerto Ricans are not fond of vegetables...

Posted by
381 posts

I don't think there are any quiet beaches in San Juan, or from there east to Fajardo.<<

Sorry, I beg to differ. The beach in Isla Verde had very few people when we were there - less than 10. That counts as pretty quiet in my book.

(This is a reply to someone named Tom from Minnesota, who subsequently deleted his post.)

Posted by
381 posts

Marcia: how far were you from high rise condos and resorts?

Less than a 10 minute walk away. And why is that relevant if the OP is looking for a quiet beach? I recommended one!

(This is another reply to someone named Tom from Minnesota, who subsequently deleted his second post.)

Posted by
13 posts

I have been to San Juan a few times and loved it. I stayed at a few Marriotts on the beach and a renaissance resort called La Concha. Loved it! A little pricey but worth it especially right on the beach. Hotel has two pools, one infinity pool overlooking beach, and even beds on the beach.