Please sign in to post.

Packing for Morocco Trip in Feb-Mar 2020

I'll be traveling in Morocco mid Feb-mid March and need some packing advice. From the weather apps, we could have temperatures as high as 75F to lows in the 20s in the desert. I would like to just bring a carry on and a small bag, but I am a hopeless over-packer. I want to be warm and comfortable, and the trip will NOT included fancy dinners, but hiking, strolling through small and big cities, cooking classes, camel ride, etc. I'm thinking I may need to check a bag, and then not have to pare down so much. Your suggestions on packing for Morocco in late winter and early spring? I'm a woman so will bring a dress and skirt, too. Thanks!

Posted by
292 posts

I've been in Morocco in February and traveled carry-on only. I mostly packed jeans and long-sleeved shirts, as well as a jacket, and found that to be sufficient. I did do a desert trip and it was very cold in the night, though the camp had lots of blankets to wrap up in.

I don't know that I would have gotten a lot of use out of a dress or skirt unless I layered some kind of leggings under. My most recent time in Morocco was in the summer and while I brought a couple of dresses, I very rarely wore them. If I were to be back in February/March, I'd probably stick to jeans / shirts or tunics / cardigans or light sweaters / jacket - enough layers to adapt to different temperatures. A long cardigan would be another good choice.

Posted by
811 posts

You need some sturdy shoes (not fancy hiking boots), and layered cloth. I assume you'll be in the desert for just 1 night, so just put on everything you got. You may want to check how you can bring your bag into the desert, as far as I know you carry everything on your back into the desert while riding the camel, so you can't bring your lage bag. Just prepare a good backpack to put your coat and water in it. You may want a warm hat and scarf with you.

Posted by
472 posts

Ditto what Amy said. We were there late Dec. into January, same kind of temperatures. Never wanted a skirt. Long loose tops for layering under (& for being culturally conscious), maybe loose pants (I lived in jeans), and layer-able things that all together can keep you warm without feeling/looking like the Michelin man. Merino/cashmere/runner's synthetics. If you're staying overnight in the desert, knit hat & gloves & leggings for sure: COLD nights!, but oh, the stars.

I never go anywhere without a squishy vest for cool mornings/AC et al, & a small pillowcase to stuff it in - makes long rides comfier whatever the temp.

Morocco is one of my all-time favorite trips. Have a wonderful time!

Vicki

Posted by
481 posts

I toured for about three weeks in Morocco during March. I only took long pants, and never felt the need for skirts or dresses. Between the weather and the conservative culture, pants provided warmth (when needed), comfort and modesty. I took a mix of short and long-sleeved tops, one light cashmere sweater that could go over anything, a couple of scarves to add color and warmth, a sun hat (especially for the desert) and a light-weight quilted jacket (that could be stuffed into a small sack). We went to some nice restaurants, but black plants and my nicest top was just fine.

The weather was all over the map. During our first few days in the northern part of the country, it rained a lot and was somewhat chilly (so my sweater, jacket and umbrella were useful). In the desert, it was bordering on hot during the day (although I was glad to have long pants for the camel ride), but the temperature dropped precipitously once the sun went down. We slept in tents with comfortable beds and lots of blankets for two nights. I actually used a pair of long underwear for sleeping. It was also surprisingly cold and windy when we stopped up high when crossing the Atlas Mountains. So that was another place where a warm jacket was needed. The rest of the time, the temperature was comfortably warm and mostly sunny - no need for layers at all.

I was able to pack plenty of clothes in a carry-on size bag, although I checked it anyway because I hate to deal with it walking around airports. I also had a “personal item” that held a change of clothes and everything I might need on the flight or on arrival. I did some sink laundry, but also used various hotel laundry services. To me the cost of paying for laundry is worth it so I don’t have to drag/carry a heavy suitcase.

Posted by
19 posts

Thank you SO MUCH, for your thoughtful replies! I'm starting to pull together my packing list, and I will definitely pare down based on your replies. We are tagging on 5 days in Portugal, so I may add a few things that I'll wear there, especially if the weather forecast looks like it will be warmer in Portugal in mid-March than Morocco. Many thanks, and happy travels!

Posted by
42 posts

My husband and I did a backpacking trip for 96 days last year and it changed packing for me forever! First of all we bought (and loved) RS unstructured convertible backpack that's a carry-on...$100 and worth every penny.

I used those big vacuum baggies (Acova I believe) and rolled my clothes, which made a huge difference on how much I was able to take. I brought only clothing that could be worn in several different ways, layered them for warmth and used accessories to spice them up. I love scarves especially big ones because they're so versatile. Don't bring anything that takes too long to dry. Be sure to bring flip-flops, a waterproof jacket (good for wind too,) a clothesline with suction cups, (RS sells these too), portable battery packs and a few baggies.

Enjoy your spectacular adventure