Please sign in to post.

NYC -- affordable hotel?

Does anyone have recommendations for hotels in Manhattan around $150/night (for a single, in early November). I best know (and therefore prefer) midtown on the east side, but am open to other areas. My main requirements are easy subway access to the Metropolitan Museum, and a subway line and neighborhood in which I feel safe being out by myself at night when necessary. Thanks!

Posted by
715 posts

I Use the Park 79 Hotel. Nice spot. Less then a block from the Natural History Museum on the Upper West Side. Easy subway access and a direct walk across Central Park to the Metropolitan.

Posted by
9099 posts

You can typically get a rate in that range at one of the Hampton Inns; all are in good locations.

Posted by
1994 posts

Thanks to both of you. This info is really helpful.

Posted by
2347 posts

You could also search on Tripadvisor and just plug in NYC and would get many helpful hints on what you are looking for.

Posted by
430 posts

Good Luck.

We are going to the big city for the first time in October, and the best I could find so far was for $300/night (with a bathroom). Geez, I've almost done a month in Europe for what this week will cost me.

Posted by
811 posts

another option is to look at Jersey and use the train into the city. a lot of people living in the city routinely use the train to commute, it's not expensive and easy to navigate.

Posted by
2431 posts

Try Hotel 17 or the Pod Hotel 51, if you don't mind very tiny rooms and the bathrooms being in the hall. (I didn't.).

Posted by
1541 posts

We just got back from there and stayed at the Wellington Hotel. They have a super promotion if you arrive on a Sunday and stay three or more nights. The rooms were really nice and clean. It is right by Carnegie Hall, so several Subway stops are on its doorstep.

Posted by
164 posts

I have used Priceline to book hotels in NYC several times - and have gotten such hotels as the Hyatt Grand Central (four star) for as low as $185. I'm sure you could get a lovely room for $150 - biddingfortravel.com has reports of recent price line bids and which hotels people have won.

Posted by
7010 posts

Last time I was in NY, a few years ago, I stayed at the Wellington. What I liked best about it was the location - easy walking distance to several sights and the subway entrance was just outside the door and around the corner. They were the best located hotel with a single room (ensuite) in my meager price range. Would definitely recommend it.

Posted by
10344 posts

Nice to see someone seeing America. Manhattan has got some museums that are right up there with European museums.

Posted by
1994 posts

Thanks all for some great suggestions! I used to have an old standby on East 57th, which was allowed to deteriorate, and then bought by a major chain. They restored it, but added a couple of hundred dollars to the nightly rate. Your suggestions provide great starting points for finding a new favorite place.

Posted by
8094 posts

We go to AirBnB and stay across the river in the Prospect Park section of Brooklyn. It's just 3 subway stops over there--quick and straight shot into Manhattan. It's safer than much of Manhattan, and you're in a real NYC neighborhood with great local restaurants.

I also like the upper Westside--around 75th to 79th around the Museum of Natural History. They have great coffeehouses and local restaurants in the area. But you might find it difficult to find budget rooms in that part of the city.

Booking.com is another place you can often find places to stay. I've also found many apartments and alternative accommodations on Craigslist.com--worldwide including The Apple.