Please sign in to post.

Nova Scotia and PEI

I am planning a trip to Nova Scotia and PEI, I am trying to determine how many days to spend in each island. We are planning on bringing a car to PEI via the bridge from New Brunswick and most likely a ferry back to Maine. I have a genealogy site I want to visit in PEI, but plan on touring general tourist locations for the rest of the time in each island. Recommendations are appreciated.

Posted by
141 posts

Several years ago we drove from Massachusetts to PEI & Nova Scotia We broke up the drive from our home to PEI and did an overnight in Moncton, New Brunswick. There seemed to be several interesting sights in the Moncton area (Bay of Fundy) I wish we had had time to explore.

We stayed on PEI for 3 nights and then drive to Halifax Nova Scotia were we stayed another 3 nights in Halifax, Nova Scotia then broke up our drive home with an overnight in Bangor, Maine because we were just too tired.

We enjoyed PEI a lot and wished we had stayed there longer. We stayed in Cavendish and explored other areas. we loved the beaches with the red cliffs. And our family are fans of Anne of Green Gables so there is plenty of Anne inspired sights, museum (which is new since we were there) etc. Nice bike paths too. We also visited Charlottetown the capital which was a nice small sized city. When on PEI a visit to one of the COWS ice cream shops is a must! The whole island was just so quaint and peaceful yet it was the height of summer. Sure there were tourists but it wasn't crazy. And we had some great meals. We didn't get to one of the "trad" music performances that happen all over the island and we didn't get to a performance of Anne of Green Gables in Charlottetown, next trip we will!

Nova Scotia was fine. We stayed in Halifax which is a city but wished we visited other areas instead of mainly staying in the city. We did visit Peggy's Cove which was nice but can be crowded. There was a museum we visited in Halifax about the Titanic and the island's connection which was worthwhiile. We didn't find as much in the Halifax general area to keep us occupied though if that makes sense. Overall we enjoyed PEI more but I would still go back to Nova Scotia only I would like to explore other parts.

The CAT is the ferry that goes between Yarmouth, Nova Scotia and Bar Harbor, Maine. It can hold 200 cars. If you are looking to go this summer I would look into reservations for this sooner rather than later if needed to reserve space for a vehicle. If you have time I would see about extending some time to visit Bar Harbor.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
4862 posts

First of all, Nova Scotia isn't an island, although it has islands. While we spent a week at a time vacationing on PEI when our children were young, 3-4 days would certainly be a nice visit.
Nova Scotia could take a couple of days if you were just stopping off in Halifax on the way to Yarmouth, or it could take more than a week if you wanted to explore the Cabot Trail, Annapolis Valley, or the South Shore. Each province has a tourism website with suggestions of things to see and do.

Posted by
2367 posts

Are the fires still going on in or near Halifax and that area? I would check on that depending when you are going.

Posted by
203 posts

As a proud Haligonian, I would recommend at least a full week here in Nova Scotia!

You could easily spend more time, but generally:
3 days in Halifax - Halifax waterfront, Peggy's Cove (stay off the black rocks!), Citadel Hill, Pier 21, Public Gardens etc
2 days for Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail
2 days for either the Annapolis Valley area or somewhere more to the west, Lunenburg, Mahone Bay area is quaint, Brier Island is known for whale watching.

We might be small, but we have so much to offer! I am always so happy to hear of more people venturing to our little corner of the world. I truly hope you enjoy your time here; many come for a visit and stay for a lifetime!

PQ

Posted by
207 posts

The planning queen is right. Each province could easily be a week to ten days. We lived in Maine for many years and traveling to the Maritimes was one of our favorite vacations. Cape Breton Island and the Cabot Trail is easily 2-3 days. We spent a full day at the Fortress at Louisbourg. The southern coast sees the most tourist activity but don’t overlook the Digby peninsula, the wineries and the delicious scallops.

PEI is smaller. Once you arrive on the island 5 days to a week should give you a good overview.

You don’t say if you are driving from Minneapolis or flying and renting a car. Bangor, ME is the closest airport and it is served by American, Delta and United. It’s a days drive across New Brunswick to the New Brunswick/Nova Scotia border and you see lots and lots of woods.