Please sign in to post.

National Geographic reveals its top destinations for 2023

"Best of" or "Top" lists are often subjective but that aside, here's a new one from a distinguished brand of adventure travel and education. I've only been privileged enough to have been able to explore a few of them; hiked all 5 of Utah's National Parks 2-3 times + plus some others of its terrific state and local outdoor spaces; trekked 6 miles or so of the Via Appia Antica and visited some of the interesting landmarks along the way; Charleston S.C twice; parts of San Francisco included in the Crosstown Trail, most notably the coastal piece.

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/travel/2022/10/best-of-the-world-35-destinations-for-2023-and-beyond

I'm sure some of you have been lucky enough to have more of these destinations on your list! Care to share? Any favorites or good stories?

(Edited to add the stupid link that I forgot to include. Duh. Thanks for covering my butt in the meantime, Carlos! )

Posted by
4339 posts

I've been going to Charleston at various times for 40 years and still have a bucket list of things I haven't done and restaurants I want to try. Years ago when I was taking a course for teachers at College of Charleston, we used to take walks downtown in the mornings before our class started(and before it got too hot).

Posted by
3907 posts

Here's the full list. Kinda surprised how wildly varied the size and scope of the places are, from very specific like Revillagigedo National Park, Mexico to totally generic like simply "Egypt", seems all over the place with no consistent theme lol

National Geographic's Best of the World 2023 list:
CULTURE
Appian Way, Italy
Busan, South Korea
Longmen Grottoes, Henan Province, China
Egypt
Charleston, South Carolina
NATURE
Scottish Highlands
Botswana
Slovenia
Big Bend National Park, Texas
Azores
ADVENTURE
New Zealand
Choquequirao, Peru
Utah
Austrian Alps
Revillagigedo National Park, Mexico
COMMUNITY
Dodecanese Islands, Greece
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Alberta, Canada
Laos
Ghana
FAMILY
Trinidad & Tobago
San Francisco Crosstown Trail, California
Colombia
Manchester, United Kingdom
Switzerland

Posted by
9601 posts

I just got back from the Scottish Highlands on Saturday...how I wish I were still there !

Posted by
3961 posts

Two past favorites: Slovenia and New Zealand. Have to say my favorite European city is Ljubljana, Slovenia. Didn't want to leave. Visited friends in North Is. of NZ. Wonderful adventure, kind people. It's been years since visiting San Francisco. Need to return to include the Crosstown Trail. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by
4117 posts

Well, I'm not feeling very well travelled after only being to two on the list. The Scottish Highlands and Alberta, and Alberta only goes on my list because I live there. Alberta made it in the 'community' category but is probably more well known for its nature with famous locations named after Highlands communities Banff and Calgary. A 3rd famous location is Canmore which was named in honour of Malcolm III whose nickname was Canmore which is Gaelic for 'Big Head' or 'Chief'. About 650,000 Albertans; including me and my wife can trace their roots back to Scotland.

I'll vouch for both the Highlands and Alberta. Both worthy to be on the list.

Posted by
155 posts

I've done:
Scottish Highlands
Slovenia
Austrian Alps
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
San Francisco Crosstown Trail, California
Manchester, United Kingdom
Switzerland

Scottish Highlands just magnificent.

Posted by
620 posts

Various & Sundry observations

-those Egypt-bound may wanna consider adding the Western Desert oases to their itinerary; villages like Farfara and Siwa are unforgettable
-Alberta's famed sights are this close to Lake O'Hara, just across the border in BC's Yoho park and worth every effort to sign up months ahead with the parks department for permission to visit; one guide described it well: 'a perfect microcosm of all the best that the Rockies have to offer'; we loved the Lk. Oesa hike up there.
-we chose to honeymoon in Utah and suggest the inclusion of lesser-known parks such as Cedar Breaks and Kodachrome.
-Patmos isle during the late fall shoulder season will mean lesser crowds plus lower temperatures; *the unique stones of its Lambi Beach are a unique sight
-RS nailed it by recommending Gimmewald, but there are a number of equally compelling mountain villages

-*an aside regarding NG: we once rented in pre-quake Castelluccio and through the week, crossed paths with our neighbour and fellow renter; as fellow shutterbugs, we gave him a number of foto op tips e.g. "Maybe check out that old Roman water well on the outskirts--foxes sometimes go there for a drink" etc etc. He was always gracious in accepting our advice.

Fast forward to the morn of our mutual departures, we to Rome, him to his d'Aosta home. He summons us over to his van, there to hand us his card IDing him as an official NG photographer and writer of half a dozen wildlife coffee table books, including his most recent: a serious publication about Estonian foxes, which had seen him sleeping in hides for days at a time
We'd naively been tryna advise a pro who needed no suggestions from amateurs!

I am done. the NG