I am going to China and Hong Kong (and also Asia) for the first time this Summer for a 12 day trip. I am going with a tour group that has an itinerary including all of the main stops such as Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai, Yaungshao, and Hong Kong. I am extremely excited to see these main attractions however I also want to get off of the beaten path and really get to know the country. Although I have traveled extensively through Europe and New Zealand on my own and being a woman in my mid-twenties I had a few general questions:
- Would you suggest booking extra days to travel by myself in China, Hong Kong or even Macau before or after my tour?
- Is it easy to access money from an ATM?
- Are credit cards accepted in larger enterprises?
- What books or movies would you suggest reading/watching to brush up on the culture, history, and people?
- What items should I bring that cannot commonly be found in a store in China?
I am really looking forward to my first trip to China and Hong Kong and to experience the vibrant and eclectic vibe so often associated with Asia!
Thank you for all of your advice :)