Please sign in to post.

Montreal and Quebec City- late November 2017

hi there! I've seen a lot of posts concerning Montreal and Quebec City in the summer and early fall months, but I'm struggling to find advice and itineraries for the cities in late November! I am planning our honeymoon for late that month, over the American Thanksgiving holiday, and I'd love to know what we can't miss, what we need to stay away from, and any general tips and tricks for us to know along the way. We have approximately 4 days in Montreal, which includes a weekend, and 4 days in Quebec City, mostly weekdays. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Posted by
11155 posts

"general tips and tricks for us"---- dress warmly With hi temps likely to be near freezing to mid 40s

"what we need to stay away from"---frostbite

My apologies for not having anything more constructive to offer. I guess I lack the "outside the box" thinking ability to understand why one would choose your destination at that time of year.

Best wishes for a long happy marriage!

Posted by
8293 posts

Well, late November is usually rather grey and cold, not freezing but cold. However the City of Montreal will be bright with lights and you will be honeymooning and not caring about the weather.

Some excellent museums in Montreal and lots to see in historic Old Montreal, plus excellent first class restaurants, but the excellent restaurants are everywhere in the city. Some are of the "bring your own wine" variety, so you can google for a list of those, and buy your wine at one of the government booze outlets, Societe Alcool de Quebe , usually called the "SAQ". The corner stores, called "depanneurs", also sell wine but mostly of the plonk variety.

A city tour bus might be fun. It will show the visitor the difference between the more-or-less anglophone western part of Montreal and the almost solidly francophone east.

If you have particular questions, please feel free to PM me.

Posted by
1172 posts

You will be between seasons.. summer is long over and the true winter season with snow and skiing will not have started yet, although there may be snow especially in Quebec City. Are you sold on the time and place?

Quebec City is my hometown and late November is probably the worse time... It is just grey and gloomy. If there is any way, I would delay your honeymoon to February where you can ski and the Winter Carnaval is on

Posted by
4037 posts

www.restomontreal.com
www.restoquebec.com

These websites search according to district, type of cuisine, bring-your-own-bottle, but not by an analysis of quality. Both cities maintain extensive tourist info websites.

Weather is always the great Canadian obsession. As has been mentioned, you will be travelling in a very unpredictable time frame. Two things are sure: your top and your bottom. Be sure to bring, or buy, a warm head covering that covers your ears, and warm, damp-repellent footwear. Like France, both men and women wear scarves with panache. There are websites that show how to configure them.

Congrats on the wedding.

Posted by
4 posts

Hi Mary,

I hope you haven't been scared off by the previous responses! My husband and I visited Quebec City last November, also for the American Thanksgiving. We loved everything about it - so much that we are going back again this year! Yes, it was cold. But don't let that scare you, just bring your warm coat!

We stayed at the Chateau Frontenac and loved it. Our basic, interior room was well designed, comfortable, and clean. The onsite restaurant is a destination in itself. And the hotel bar overlooking the St. Lawrence is the perfect spot to enjoy a nice drink.

The Christmas Market kicks off on the 23rd this year, and you look forward to the entire city being decked out for the holidays. Take the funicular down to Old Quebec and spend the day Christmas shopping, take a long lunch (we loved Lapin Saute), and pop into a bar whenever you get too cold for a nice mulled wine in front of a warm fireplace.

We did have one snow storm while we were there but it was beautiful and very picturesque. If you are looking for old city charm, great food, and holiday spirit than you will love your trip.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Posted by
703 posts

I love Quebec City. I've only visited it once and that was in early April so thinking the weather will likely be about the same. Cold, so just dress warmly and you'll be fine. It snowed once while we were there and it was beautiful. It just added to the experience, in my opinion. We stayed at Hotel du Vieux Quebec on rue St Jean. Our room was wonderful and the breakfast was really special. If you book directly through the hotel web site it is included. They place a basket full of wonderful goodies on your door.

The places we visited were the Musee de National Beaux Arts, Musee de la Civilisation, Notre Dame du Sacre Coeur church, Montmorency Falls, St Anne de Baupre church. We also visited a market called Marche du Vieau Port and the Quartier Petit Champlain.

Two restaurants I would recommend are La Petit Coin Latin & Le Latin Saute. Also Paillards for pastries on rue St Jean. Delicious. And don't forget to try poutine. They serve it all over the city. Have a wonderful time & congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all for your constructive and helpful comments! As for the others.... it's ok! I'm excited to be travelling to Canada for my honeymoon.

Appreciate again all of the help!