Please sign in to post.

Montreal and Quebec City

Hi,

Im from NY and I'll be visiting Montreal and Quebec City next month. Flights are direct nonstop to Montreal but flight in/out of QC have a layover. My plan was to fly into Montreal and stay several nights. Then drive to QC for 2-3 nights and flying back to NY from there. But in reading previous posts many seem to think 2 night is enough in QC. So my options are to drive back to Montreal for the final night or simply stay in QC perhaps exploring Île d'Orléans for a day then flying back to NYC from QC. However the flights layover in Montreal lol. My question... is there any location suggestions between Montreal and QC that would be nice to stay for the last night that would put us a bit closer to the airport in Montreal? Also, when comparing airports is it more pleasant and low key to fly out of QC (even with the layover) as opposed to Montreal airport? Thanks. I look forward to ideas. :)

Posted by
3822 posts

We’ve been to Quebec City twice and spent a week each time. There was more then enough to see. The best historical tour is with Les promenades Fantômes. They promote it as a ghost tour but it isn’t really. We did two different tours with them and would do another.

Posted by
15 posts

We’ve been to Quebec City twice and spent a week each time. There was more then enough to see. The best historical tour is with Les promenades Fantômes. They promote it as a ghost tour but it isn’t really. We did two different tours with them and would do another.
Blockquote
Thank you Barbara. I see youre from NY as well. how was traveling out of the airport in QC?

Posted by
4037 posts

Any guidance depends upon personal tastes. I could easily spend a half-day in the recently expanded museum of beaux-arts followed by the nearby Citadel where one of the great colonial battles of North America was fought. You might be yawning. A trip across the city harbour on the commuter ferry to Levis will give any landscape photographer plenty to focus on, especially the views to the landmark Chateau Frontenac hotel. Others might find it a slow trip to nothing much on the south shore. The farmers' market in the harbour makes my mouth water but someone less hungry might see it as just another grocery store.
If the mention of food wakes you up, here is a site that covers restaurants, some allowing BYO (AVV in French) without a corkage fee:
www.restoquebec.com
The city and province have eager tourist boards on-line too.

Posted by
7642 posts

We did a cruise from Boston to QC and loved it. We stayed three nights after the cruise. That was enough time there. Montreal you need 4 days.

Posted by
161 posts

I haven't been to either Montreal or Quebec City, though I will probably visit once it becomes possible again to go there by train from where I live. I writing only to warn about taking too seriously those quick and easy responses to "how many nights" questions, especially when the answer is a skimpy one or two nights. And it appears as if several of the commenters above agree. I know that Quebec City is a great place with a European ambience, a place much closer than France to practice my French; and I'm certain that once I go there I will devote no fewer than four nights to it. But then again, I like to "get into" the places I visit, and QC seems worth getting into. I wouldn't go to QC just to gape at the grand Frontenac Hotel and then move on, as I suspect many of those "two-nighters" intend to do.

Posted by
8423 posts

Did you consider using the train between Montreal and QC?

Posted by
1335 posts

The train trip from Quebec to Montreal is a beautiful little ride. And you'd be amazed how nice Canadian trains are compared to Amtrak.

If you do drive, the coolest city between Quebec and Montreal, in my opinion, is Trois-Rivières. But it doesn't put you that close to the airport. The airport really isn't that far away from Montreal. Nor do I find the Montreal airport to be that stressful, though flying out of Quebec is pretty zen.

I would stick to public transport instead of taking a car. But suit yourself. I've done both and find it more enjoyable just being on for the ride.

If you need any guidance for hotels, check out the local hôtellerie group called LE GERMAIN. And if you need restaurant suggestions or help with hotels, I'd be happy to give my 2 cents. Before covid, I visited for about 2x a year for 5 years.