Please sign in to post.

Mexico City

Hello,
This is probably off topic, but has anyone ever been to Mexico City the week after Christmas through New Years? Me and my wife’s calendars finally align for the first since Covid. Finally, it’s the first window we can travel abroad (12/26-1/3)

Number 1 on our list is Mexico City. Has anyone ever been there the week after Christmas and early January?

Posted by
1743 posts

I have been to Mexico City in the week between Christmas and New Years. It's a very festive time, and lots of people were out enjoying things. There was a big ice skating rink and miniature sled run set up in the Zócalo.

What is it you are interested in knowing?

Posted by
2815 posts

While Mexico City would be a great choice for a post-Christmas break, I'll put in a plug for the town of San Miguel de Allende in the highlands of central Mexico - one of our favorite winter destinations. It's about 3 hours by bus from Mexico City or about an hour and a half from Guanajuato (the airport identifier is BJX if you want to look it up), which is a terrific place to fly in and out of - a lot less stressful than the Mexico City airport.

Posted by
6487 posts

We were in Mexico City that week about ten years ago. We hadn't realized that the big gift-giving day in Mexico is Three Kings Day, January 6, so we were surprised at the crowds shopping in the central city. I think some of the streets were closed to traffic. But the festive atmosphere added to our enjoyment, and we had no trouble seeing the usual sights.

We weren't there on New Year's Eve, but I'm sure there were celebrations, and probably fireworks (any reason will do for fireworks in Mexico). The tradition is for families to stay up till midnight and then eat grapes, a symbol of good fortune to come in the year ahead.

This will be a great time for your visit to Mexico City as long as you don't expect tranquility!