Please sign in to post.

Melbourne and area advice for late Feb. 2025

I will be flying into Melbourne from New Zealand and flying out of Melbourne late February, the main focus being 6 nights in Tasmania. However I have 7 nights (6 full days) to spend somewhere around Melbourne before flying to Tasmania.

Initially I had planned a few nights in Melbourne, then slowly making my way toward Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road and flying from Adelaide. But I have opted to center flights and rental car in/from Melbourne.

Now I am waffling on the best use of my 6 days. Things I was considering: Phillip Island, Healesville Sanctuary, a good winery tour (Yarra Valley?), and time to see a bit of Melbourne. I COULD spend a couple of days driving along the GOR, but I can’t tell whether that’s a good idea or not.

Any thoughts?

Posted by
1016 posts

I have seen multiple zoos and animal sanctuaries in Oz. Healesville is my absolute favorite - despite thinking every other place was also very good! It seemed as if there were more of the unique Aussie animals. There was a platypus presentation when I visited in 2019. Fascinating- other presentations were also very fine.

Phillip Island was another unique experience for me. Very much enjoyed it.

I’m burned out on wineries - didn’t visit any, but was encouraged to do so by locals “in the know”. I researched GOR, but didn’t end up doing it. I decided the California and a couple other coastlines would be similar enough that I choose other activities and sites. I know both of above are popular, but I have no personal regrets in skipping.

I enjoyed Melbourne quite a bit, preferring it to Sydney. (Others have different opinions, I know.) I think I was there 6 or 7 nights as a base. This was late 2019.

Posted by
4573 posts

Thanks, ORDTraveler! You helped cement my change of heart. I also went back and re-read JILL’s thread that had a ton of good information. I think I will just make Melbourne my base - and enjoy all that it has to offer.

Posted by
8060 posts

We loved the Great Ocean Road and Phillip Island.
Also, we did a day trip to the Yarra Valley vineyards. That was good. Also, we took a great tour of Melbourne.

Posted by
420 posts

Hi TTM.
I would suggest spending a couple of nights in or around Healesville.
This gives you a good chance to explore the beautiful Yarra Ranges area. Maybe Tarra Warra winery, also Healesville Sanctuary. A drive over the beautiful Black Spur then the Acheron Way to Cement Creek and a stop in pretty Warburton then back to Healesville over Mt Donna Buang. Great scenery, beautiful forests of giant Mountain Ash and Tree Ferns.
It is about the same travel time from Healesville to Phillip Island as from Melbourne (2 hrs).
I would suggest booking accommodation at Phillip Island. The penguins come out of the sea at dusk so a return drive to Melbourne after is not ideal.
So perhaps drive from Healesville to Phillip Island, quite a few things to see and do there before the evening "show".
By the way even a hot Feb day can turn into a pretty chilly evening Penguin Parade.
Cheers.

Posted by
420 posts

The GOR is a lovely journey. In Feb you will miss school hols but it will still be pretty busy (lots of grey nomads pulling caravans I'd reckon).
The scenery is both coastal and lush forest.
Tour buses often turn at Port Campbell but I'd recommend going through to at least Warrnambool or impossibly cute Port Fairy.
A side visit to Tower Hill will normally get you some close encounters with emus, roos and maybe an echidna or two.
You could head back inland possibly visiting the Grampians on the way back.

Posted by
4573 posts

Thanks, Eatsrootsandleaves! That helps with logistics. I am now wishing I had 3-4 more days in this area and struggling to keep believing my mantra of “you can’t see everything so be good with what you do see”. I will get to work on the lodging piece of this puzzle asap. I also have to keep in mind I am not typically “a city girl”, so some of these other spots might have to take precedence over Melbourne itself with my limited time.

I am also going to circle back around to your trip report for NZ with a question or two soon. I won’t have a camper but I AM set for quite a few of the same areas. It precedes Melbourne (in January), so I worked on it first.