Please sign in to post.

Marrakesh

Does Rick Steve's have a Guide Book on Morocco and more specifically, Marrakesh?

Posted by
6788 posts

Does Rick Steve's have a Guide Book on Morocco and more specifically, Marrakesh?

Nope. Personally, I found the Cadogan (popular series published in the UK) guidebook on Morocco to be excellent.

Take the train from Casablanca going south...

Great song, but not necessarily good travel advice. Skip Casablanca. Skip all the coastal ferry ports and nearby towns that are easy to get to. Instead, fly direct to Marrakech from someplace in western Europe on a low cost airline, it's super cheap and unless you have a month to spend, I'd suggest there's nothing on/near the coast worth stopping for - the good stuff starts at Marrakech and Fes and beyond, might as well go straight there and bypass the day-trip/bordertown experience of the ferry ports.

Posted by
546 posts

I was in Marrakech for a week many years ago. I am sure much has changed but some things will be the same:

Have a beer on one of the rooftop cafes overlooking the J'maa alFna, visit the Mamounia Hotel and sit in the gardens where Churchill painted during WWII as a way to get away from the pressures of the war, and when you get tired of all the "salesmen" (the kids that harangue you to buy stuff every minute you are there) Start using sign language with them they just give up and go away...

Posted by
1078 posts

We just left Marrakesh yesterday and used ''DK's top ten Marrakesh" while there. It hit all the high spots. Finished there on A Friendly Planet tour.