Please sign in to post.

Kuwait travel? (Spring 2017)

I am thinking of visiting a friend working in Kuwait this April. I've been to Dubai and had a positive, fascinating experience, but have not been to Kuwait yet. If you've been there, please share tips--what's not to miss? And here's where I also insert a quick question about any travel/safety concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Posted by
7640 posts

I lived in Saudi Arabia for five years and have visited the UAE and Oman. I have not been to Kuwait, but know people that lived there. Frankly, I can't imagine going there to tour.

The country has a modern infrastructure, with conservative culture. Not sure what you what to see there, other than your friend.

Jordan and Egypt are far more interesting.

Posted by
24 posts

Thanks, yes, going to see a friend and take advantage of local digs. Will go to Jordan another time for sure. I was evacuated from Cairo when I went there to attend a conference--it was about this time a few years ago during the Arab Spring. Can't get more thrills-per-minute than that. I had to cancel my Egypt tour travel plans so will definitely have to go back some time.

Posted by
2252 posts

Totally off topic but Emma, you make me smile, if not laugh out loud!!!

Posted by
24 posts

Thanks for posting! Whatever happens, it sounds like it will be an adventure to remember :)

Posted by
7 posts

I went last Spring. I agree that there isnt not much to see. Dress very conservatively.

Posted by
2637 posts

My sister lived in Kuwait for about 8 years and I visited a couple of times, apart from Kuwait city itself there really is bugger all there .You really need to be with someone who lives there as getting around is awkward ,driving is a nightmare in the city ,taxis crazy and buses almost non existant and only used by the poorest migrant workers.No alcohol even in the hotels. It is great if you want to shop and I enjoyed my stays there because I was visiting family but as a place for tourism absolutely no chance.
Interesting culture but not a place I would ever dream of visiting again.