Please sign in to post.

Jordan 2023 Itinerary Ideas/Advice!

My husband and I just booked flights to Amman for next March, 2023 (in Qatar Airways QSuites--so excited!!) I'm just beginning my research and would love any tips or advice from those of you who have explored the country/region. We haven't booked a return flight yet but we're looking at either 9 or 10 nights on the ground and I think in order to see all that we want to, we'll probably be traveling a bit faster than we're used to. There are our must-dos:

Amman
Dead Sea
Petra
Wadi Rum

Any recommendations for how many nights in each place? Is Aqaba a must? Thoughts on trying to squeeze in a day trip to Jerusalem? My gut is to leave Israel for when we can devote some actual time to it but it is tempting.

Looking forward to whatever tips/advice/thoughts you have for me!

Posted by
4074 posts

I will check back in a week or two, as I start my 8 night adventure in Jordan tomorrow! I will say now that I am wishing for 10 nights in order to include Aqaba since I could have afforded the time. I also booked the Q-Suite (with miles) on this trip and it was great! (although I flew DFW-Doha-Dubai.) I have 2 nights Dead Sea (since I arrive at 4pm), 1 night Wadi Rum, 2 nights Wadi Musa for Petra, and 3 nights Amman - which will include a day trip to Jerash and Aljoun Castle.

Posted by
288 posts

Travelmom, have an amazing time!! I can't wait to hear about it!

Posted by
15582 posts

Do add Jerash to your must-dos. It is the jewel of Jordan.

Posted by
288 posts

Chani, that's one we've been debating--we may only have one full day in Amman. Would you still say to spend it going to Jerash if that ends up being the case?

Posted by
2 posts

I had Israel/Jordan trip booked for last December but was cancelled when Israel shut down for Omicron. AA is showing DFW-TLV non-stops so may try that this December. I can't wait to hear your info on Jordan Travelmom.

Posted by
11154 posts

Do add Jerash, a very well preserved antiquities site. In Amman go up to the Citadel with it’s Roman ruins and good views of the city.

Posted by
15582 posts

I have no idea what there may be to see and do in Amman. I've been to Petra twice and Jerash once. If you have the opportunity to visit Jerash, do so.

Posted by
319 posts

We visited Aqaba, mostly out of convenience but we loved it. We were living in Israel and took a short trip to Jordan; Petra topped our list. You may have time for 2 nights in Aqaba. The Red Sea was pretty great. We stayed in a very nice resort right on the water and did a scuba diving tour (i.e. guided so didn't have to be certified). It wasn't the most fabulous diving, but we saw some fish, coral and eels. Going further out has more interesting sites like a sunken tank I think. I realize the water could be chilly in March (although we went in October).

We drove to Petra but wished we had stayed the night nearby. Aqaba could be a vacation from your vacation?

I agree with leaving Israel for another trip. Enjoy your flight!