Please sign in to post.

Japan May, 2024: A pre-trip Report

On another thread I was complaining about how some posters were making me feel aggravated when I realized it is much more likely that my grumpiness is coming from the fact that my next trip is so far away. It was suggested that I share the details of my upcoming travel. It will "keep me off the streets", so to say. Here goes.

At the beginning of this year, I decided to move Japan up my list of where to go next. I originally decided to go on a guided tour due to my anxiety of a new culture, new area of the world and a new language/alphabets. I posted on the forum and many told me that traveling indedpendently in Japan with the assistance of a "travel agent" was completely doable. Tammy kindly shared with me some of her email communications with Karin from Inside Japan. I contacted Karin. I sent her detailed information about who was traveling, what cities were high on our list and what type of sites we wanted to see. Karin sent me a questionnaire to round out the information. Three weeks later she sent me an itinerary. We tweaked it a bit. I have been pleased with our interaction. I have learned that I was completely capable of arranging this trip on my own and I will do that if/when I go back to Japan. It is reassuring, though to have someone available by email and phone to help out if something goes wrong. I will share my itinerary here and then some of the resources I have been using for trip preparation.

Day 1: S2 and I will fly from CLE to MSP at 7 am. S1 will fly from PDX to MSP at 1 am. S1 works the night shift so this won't be a problem for him and I wanted to arrive in Tokyo all together. We will arrive at HND at 2:20 pm.

We will have a driver to transport us to our hotel in Asakusa. Hotel Gracery Asakusa. We have decided to have 2 rooms and we can rotate who gets their own space for the night. The driver will have our preloaded ICA cards (this is in flux due to chip supply problems) and a mobile wifi device. After check in, the plan is to walk the neighborhood and then eat and have drinks on Hoppy Street. Will try Hoppy with Sochu.

DAY 2 We will have a private guide from 9 am to 5 pm. We will use taxi, bus or metro depending on where we go. Our day will be determined after speaking one on one with the guide that morning. We haven't chosen any further dining options in Tokyo as of yet. S1 wants to research some choices. On the top of my list is to travel three streets over from the main drag and go into a small shop in a neighborhood. I want to try out some of my Japanese and have some "local" food. (what an over used term that is!). I am developing a list of things that are musts for me and we will organize each day the night before.

DAY 3 We have the morning and early afternoon to do what we want. I am thinking of Teamlab Planets, Akihabara, Shinjuku and Shibuya as possibilites. I know S2 wants to go to a Pokemon center. We will hopefully have Sumo tickets provided by Inside Japan. The tournament is all day, but we will likely just go in the afternoon as the top dogs start at 4:00 pm.

DAY 4 We have a one hour bonsai class scheduled followed by a visit to the Shunkaen Bonsai Museum. Enjoy some Tokyo neighborhoods.

DAY 5 Get on our first Shinkansen and arrive in Kanazawa at 1:30 pm. Visit Omicho market. Sleep at Hotel Intergate Kanazawa.

DAY 6 Private guide from 9 am to 5 pm. Visit the castle complex and the gardens. Visit the Nagamachi samurai district.

DAY 7 Day trip to Eihei-ji Temple, a working Buddist temple complex. I am planning on reading "Eat, Sleep, Sit" by Kaoru Nonomura prior to this visit. He was a salaryman that quit his job and spent a year training at the monastery.

DAY 8 Travel by Shinkansen to Kyoto, arrive just after 1:00 pm. We will have a 30 minute Kenbu (traditional sword dance) performance followed by a 30 minute class with katana sword techniques and sensu folding fan. Sleep at Mitsui Garden Hotel Kyoto Station. ....continued.

Posted by
759 posts

For those who can't afford private guides or who don't wish to engage one, traveling indedpendently in Japan without the assistance of a "travel agent" is also completely doable.

English is generally spoken quite well at the typical tourist sites and stations. Signs are in English as well as Japanese. A bit of up front research on subway and train routes goes a long way. The "culture" is not that foreign. Major tourist areas such as your stops see many foreigners from all over the world and are quite used to it.

That said, I have heard good things about "Inside Japan". I enjoy doing the research, planning, and booking myself, but can understand those wanting a bit of help. An itinerary to a new country can be very time-consuming to set-up!

I'm looking forward to seeing your Kyoto itinerary!

Posted by
1481 posts

DAY 9 Private guide from 9 am to 5 pm. We can choose from between 3 areas. 1. Northwest Kyoto which includes Nijo Castle, Golden Temple, Ryoan-ji Temple, Buddist rock garden, and Arashiyama. 2. Southern Higashiyama district which includes Fushimi Inari Shrine, Sanjusangendo Shrine and the Gion district or 3. Norther Higashiyama district which includes a garden walk and Buddist temples. We have 6 pm reservations at Hafuu Honten restaurant for wagyu beef meal.

DAY 10 Day trip to Mount Hiei or Kurama Onsen or stay in Kyoto.

DAY 11 Whatever we missed seeing on Day 9. In the evening a home cooking course at a private house for 3 hours.

DAY 12 Early train to Hiroshima and a 6 hour private guide. S2 and I have been to multiple WWII sites in Bavaria, Normandie, Belgium and Luxembourg. This will be a sobering addition. In the afternoon take the ferry to Miyajima. Sleep at Iwaso Onsen, eat Kaiseki meal.

DAY 13 This is our vacation from our vacation day. Enjoy the island, hike up the mountain, see the views, eat.

Day 14Ferry to Hiroshima and train to Osaka. Night food tour. Sleep at Cross Hotel Osaka

DAY 15Sightseeing Osaka, optional day trip to Himeji. Baseball game.

DAY 16 Travel home.

Later I will add books, shows, movies, you tube channels, novels that I have used to become more familiar with Japanese culture and sights.

Gosh, I can't wait!

Posted by
11159 posts

The Shinkansen make travel in Japan easy and enjoyable.
Is there a reason you omitted Takayama? Or perhaps it comes later in your intinerary?
Our trip to Japan was one of our all time favorite trips! We had a combination of a tour and independent travel. We loved the food; make sure you have a kaisecki dinner, many small courses.

Posted by
1481 posts

@ORD, I completely agree that I could have set up a perfectly good itinerary in Japan. But you don't know what you don't know. It just seemed so overwhelming to think about at first. So, I don't regret using Inside Japan at all and I think that it will be a better trip. It is also good because there are three of us. We all put in requests as far as locations and activities to do.

There is still a lot of research and planning to be done as far as day to day activities. My typical routine is to randomly learn about the cities without actually planning anything until closer to the trip. We have 15 days, so 15 weeks before the trip I will take one week to do further research and make plans for one day of the trip. Week 15 for Day 1, Week 14 for Day 2...etc.

I would love to hear about everyone's trips to Japan and any recommendations of activities that people enjoyed or things that didn't turn out so well. I was originally planning on doing the Hozugawa river boat ride as it looked great at the website, but reading more about actual individuals experience will probably skip that.

S1 is really interested in being on the water and would like to do some sort of boat ride in the moat of a castle, so any experiences with that would be great to hear.

Posted by
1481 posts

@Suki,
I imagine that Kanazawa and Takayama would be similar types of visits? Kanazawa got my interest due to the garden there.
Yes, we will have 2 Kaiseki meals at the onsen we are staying at in Miyajima.

Going back to ORD's comments about guides. Guides are one of the most important pieces of a trip to me. We all spend our travel dollars differently. A trip without a guide to me is a trip that hasn't been brought to life. I would rather have less trips and more guides. And I don't mean a guide that is just for caretaking, I mean a guide for the history/art/food education.

Posted by
375 posts

If it’s baseball season, go to a game. It’s a great experience. Each region in Japan has a special food. For example in Hamamatsu where my son taught English, they were known for unagi, or eel. They had a specialty treat of unagi pie.

Posted by
3844 posts

Thank you so much for your pre-trip report. We’re planning on going to Japan in the spring if 2025. 2024 is already all booked up. I have also been looking at Inside Japan for guides and happy to hear good reviews.
We are looking at 4 weeks, 4 maybe 6 people, so I will add more time in Tokyo. We also are interested in a Sumo exhibition or match and a baseball game is a must. I want to add a calligraphy class and flower arranging.
I will definitely be looking for more reports.

Posted by
11159 posts

Glad you going to Miyajima which we enjoyed.
You asked about Kanazawa vs Takayama. We visited both and liked Takayama better in its mountain setting. Nothing wrong with Kanazawa though.

Posted by
1481 posts

Resources:

BOOKS:

By Haruki Murakami-- Kafka on the Shore, 1Q84, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle I will likely read a few more as well. This author combines a heavy western influence within a Japanese fantasy story.

By Hector Garcia The Magic of Japan This book is written by a Spanish gentleman living and working in Japan. He attempts to explain and explore Japanese culture through a European's eyes.

FILM
Director Hiroshi Teshigahara Woman in the Dunes
Director Akira Kurosawa Shichinin Samurai (Seven Samurai)

NETFLIX
The Makanai: Cooking for the Maiko House
Midnight Diner
Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories
Sunshine Sento-Sake
The Sweet Tooth Salaryman
Samurai Gourmet

MyAsianTV.RU
Kodoku no Gurume (I love love this one)

You Tube Channels
Tabi Eats
That Japanese Man Yuta
KantanFood by Satoshi
KAERU Japanese
Ninjapanese
Inside Japan Tours
TAKASHii from Japan

japan-guide.com
Trip Advisor Japan Forum

Please post any books, films, You Tube channels that you like.