Please sign in to post.

Japan

Possibly traveling to Japan in early December. What do you do in Japan in December? The prices are so low right now. Is it worth going to? How long would you go? Husband says 10 days but I think that's too long. Thoughts and ideas. Thanks.

Posted by
6788 posts

What do you do in Japan in December?

Pretty broad question there. It's a large, diverse, fascinating country with a complex culture and a long history.

Weather will be mild (in the far south), cool and probably rainy (much of the country) or very cold and snowy (in the north or in the mountains). Take your pick. Most first-time visitors would stick to the classic itineraries in the (roughly) central part of the country, so little risk of snow outside the mountains (it is possible though).

Is it worth going to?

Only you can decide what's worth doing. If you share why you are considering going, what appeals to you and what doesn't, your preferred travel style is, etc., that might make it easier for others to answer this question.

Personally, I love Japan and would go in a heartbeat almost any time. But because summers tend to be hot, humid and muggy in most of the country, I avoid going then (though the far north is delightful in summer); fall can bring typhoons -- they just got whacked pretty hard by a typhoon a couple weeks ago -- they go crazy in the fall for changing leaf colors (second only to cherry blossom mania in the spring). I've been in October and November and loved it. Also went once in February and enjoyed that, too. I believe most people think spring and fall are the best times to go and I'd generally agree with that (but you need to be prepared for some rain, of course).

How long would you go? Husband says 10 days but I think that's too
long.

Personally, I'd go for 4-6 weeks if I could (the ideal length of a trip, IMHO). Just 10 days? That seems painfully short to me and it would break my heart to go for such a short time, but tastes vary. It's a fascinating place with no shortage of things to do and see. You certainly won't run out of things to do/see in 10 days (an understatement).

Start here: japan-guide.com

Posted by
1280 posts

Hi Marie -

I’ve been to Japan twice and love, love, loved it - given the chance would go back again at the drop of a hat. Two weeks is barely enough. If you can’t fill each day then you either haven’t done your research/sorted your priorities or are not trying hard enough!

Start with the link in the post above and find the stuff that floats your boat!

Ian

Posted by
6900 posts

10 days on the ground, so 12 days with the travel day (and I'm not sure how things work crossing the date line!), would be the bare minimum for me. Fly into Tokyo, spend 4-5 nights there, take the train to Kyoto, spend 6-7 nights there, fly out of Osaka (KIX) if possible.
If you can go longer (2-3 weeks), better of course.

Posted by
15011 posts

I agree with the above posters. Japan is amazing. Ten days isn't even long enough in my estimation. I'm planning for a month for next trip.

Japan is a big place. You can't just say you are going to Japan. Where in Japan? For first timers, it seems Tokyo and Kyoto are the top two destinations and could easily fill 10 days.

Posted by
7667 posts

Not sure about going in December, we did it in September and the weather was perfect.

Japan is amazing.
It is the cleanest country in the World. No where do you see trash or cigarette butts on the street or anywhere.
The people are very friendly and helpful. The food is great and there is a lot to see.

We did a week in Tokyo, also taking a three day tour to Nara and Kyoto on the bullet train. Then we picked up a cruise that stopped in four Japanese ports including one in Okinawa (also Shanghai in China and two nights in Taiwan) before ending in Hong Kong.

Be sure to spend two days minimum for Kyoto there is much to see. Kyoto was not bombed in WWII and is amazing.

Posted by
663 posts

I’ve only been to Tokyo (twice) with a day trip to Nikko. I would give Tokyo a minimum of 5 nights, more with day trips. There is much to do there and many other tempting sites in Japan, especially Kyoto, as mentioned by others.

Posted by
268 posts

Been to Japan twice November into early December. Loved it. Will go back. Depending on the year you may still see fall colors especially in Kyoto. Otherwise still so much to see and do.
If you only have 10 days, Tokyo, and environs, bullet train to Kyoto. Preferably fly back from Osaka. Easy to travel around. Safe and friendly. No issues with language.
And incredible exchange rate now.

Posted by
11159 posts

Ten days is very short for Japan. You need at least two weeks.

Posted by
2825 posts

All good advice from the others.
The suggestion to fly into Tokyo and out of Osaka (or the reverse) is a good one - will save you a day of backtracking to catch your homeward flight, plus it would allow more time for Kyoto - maybe the prettiest city in the country, though there are plenty of other cities vying for the title.

Posted by
910 posts

Marie: my wife and I spent 2+ weeks in japan and really did not scratch the surface. We would like to go back and spend more time in Tokyo, Hiroshima and Kyoto. As Japan is now "opening up" make sure and check on their requirements for entry and touring.

Posted by
3597 posts

I agree with those who say that 10 days is insufficient. Though Japan is closer to the west coast of the U.S. than Europe is, I would guess you’ll need to change planes, probably in Seattle. That really kills a day.
Besides Tokyo, Kyoto with a day for Nara are “musts.”

I recommend a day in Hiroshima. After all, it’s the only place on earth (Nagasaki excepted) that has ever experienced obliteration by nuclear bombing. The Peace Park and museum are very well done. From there, you can add a couple of hours on the island of Miyajima. Short ferry ride, Shinto temple, museum of folk craft.
If you happen to catch either Xmas or New Year’s there, the Japanese, though mostly not Christian, celebrate spectacularly.

Posted by
62 posts

Do you like visiting old monuments, especially temples?
Do you want to lay back and chill in hot springs?
Do you want to explore food?
Etc.

Japan is a big country. Do you think you’ll visit again? Or trying to hit major highlights in one trip. If trying to do it all, I think closer to 2 weeks will be better. Don’t forget you’ll be severely jet lagged. I’ll share more details later tonight as to what different tourist things may be of interest to you.

Posted by
620 posts

Marie, I dunno whether it still exists, but there used to be a great homestay program called 'PTP' (people to people). It was administered through one of the banks and was a great way to go beyond the usual tourism. The International Peace organization SERVAS is another alternative in much the same vein.
Ten days is def not too long. Early December would of course allow you to avoid the crushing summer heat found in many Travel Highlight areas across Japan.
Have a great one.
I am done. the end

Posted by
11159 posts

Do include Hiroshima. I would visit in April or November to see cherry blossoms or fall leaves.