Please sign in to post.

Israel

Any recommendations on guidebooks for Israel and other places Rick does not cover?

Posted by
1924 posts

I am going to Israel for the first time October 2024. I asked about information on this forum

Here is my post, my question and the very helpful response

Israel Forums or Chat Rooms

Are there any chat rooms or Forums for Israel similar to this site but solely or mostly about Israel?

I will be going for the first time October 2024 and will probably be having many questions. I would also like to see what others have posted.

I will be taking a cruise from Haifa which will end in Istanbul. Turkey is one of the countries that has its own page on this forum but Israel does not.

Posted by Kathy
Minnesota 🎒
06/07/23 11:18 AM
14822 posts
Phil, Fodor's has a forum section for Israel. It's not as active as some of the European forums but at least take a look? It might be a resource you could add to some that others might have to suggest.

https://www.fodors.com/community/tags/israel-and-the-palestinian-territories/

Of course TripAdvisor has an Israel forum too, and it's more active than Fodor's.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293977-i1733-Israel.html

Posted by Emily
Vienna, Austria
06/07/23 01:38 PM
5107 posts
TripAdvisor

Posted by bostonphil7 OP
Austin, TX
06/07/23 01:51 PM
769 posts
Edit | Delete

Thank you.

I went to Fodor's and registered.

I am on Trip Adviser and checked to see that they have an ACTIVE forum on Israel. And they do.

my trip is not until October 2024. so I have plenty of time to get information.

After my cruise this coming October, I will be getting very serious about Israel to Istanbul 2024.

between R S, Fodor's and Trip Adviser, I should be able to get the information that I need.

There are also many helpful youtube videos.

Posted by Kim
Jasper, GA, USA
06/09/23 11:33 AM
68 posts
Echoing the recommendation for the TripAdvisor Israel forum. I’ve been using it for my upcoming trip and there are a number of locals, including guides, who respond quickly and regularly to questions (and they aren’t allowed to promote themselves on the forum so no worries on that). I’ve found it to have a fabulous vibe. Plus there is a guy named Doug on it who wrote his own little booklet that he’ll email you about traveling there that is really Rick Steves like and—from having already traveled there twice myself—much more helpful than some of the regular guidebooks. Check that forum out.

Posted by bostonphil7 OP
Austin, TX
06/09/23 01:39 PM
769 posts
Edit | Delete

Thank you, Kim.

I have already checked out Trip Advisor Israel Forum and plan to be active on it late 2023 and on. My trip to Israel is not until October 2024. I am going on a different cruise October 2023 and am focusing on that for now.

I hope that you might post your Israeli experiences on both R S and Trip Adviser.

Posted by Barkinpark
Bay Area, California
06/11/23 01:53 PM
1055 posts
Go to Dansdeals.com and there is a forum. Many folks in this forum are Jewish and see if they can help.

Posted by bostonphil7 OP
Austin, TX
06/11/23 03:39 PM
769 posts
Edit | Delete

Hi Barkinpark

I checked out dansdeals. Interesting. I can not figure out what it is. Is it a Jewish craigslist and or a sort of Amazon.

Is it American or Israeli or both?

I will continue to look at it.

Posted by Barkinpark
Bay Area, California
06/11/23 04:52 PM
1055 posts
Dan, the website's host, is American.

I sometimes post in his forum asking questions about credit cards, travel, deals, and investments. The folks are in general pretty helpful.

This is the forum:
https://forums.dansdeals.com/

Posted by
1924 posts

I hope my previous post might be helpful.

Very soon, it will be time to do my own serious research. I think that it is still a little early

When are you going? Probably before me. I will be hoping for some reviews

Posted by
1924 posts

I have heard good things about Gate 1 Travel. i am going to look into them. I have also heard that they were reasonably priced.

I usually go on one cruise a year but there is nothing written in stone that I must take a cruise.

I wish that R S offered cruises but I also wish that R S offered trips for old folks who are slower and even slow.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you to those who recommended guidebooks. I am not interested in tour groups as I usually plan my own trips and enjoy the efforts to learn about the places I visit. Respectfully, Barry

Posted by
1924 posts

I apologize. It seems that I did not understand your post.

However if you go to the forums that were recommended to me, you might get recommendations of guide books. Someone recommended Doug and information that he has published.

I like the Lonely Planet website but Lonely Planet also puts out guidebooks. They have a couple on Israel Although I have not seen them, I would trust them to be very good.. They also offer one on Jordan.

https://shop.lonelyplanet.com/pages/search-results-page?q=israel%20guidebook&page=1&rb_tags=Jerusalem%7CMiddle%20East

Posted by
11 posts

Hi, This is a comment for bostonphill. I wholly agree with your comment regarding " you wish RS had tours for seniors that need slower ones". We are going on our own to Turkey (Istanbul and Cappadocia) in Oct this year. I inquired about tours there with RS and had to forgo because the group tours were just too fast for us. I thus reserved private tours in both places, made my own hotel, shuttle and air reservation in addition we will catch a cruise from Istanbul that ends in Venice. Hope all will go according to plan.
Regarding Israel, I am originally home grown Israeli living in the US and traveled back there many many times. If anyone needs help and or advice, I'll be delighted to provide.

For anyone going to visit Israel, just keep in mind that it is nothing like any other place. You need to be a bit adventurous if you go on your own. Additionally, Israel got to be extremely expensive the past few years on all levels, accommodations, food etc.
Aside from that, visiting Israel will be the experience of a lifetime.....unique!
Happy traveling
Sara Y.

Posted by
13 posts

Sara Y,

I have seen (and if my understanding is correct), Rick does offer a "My Way" program where you take advantage of the travel and accommodations, but the days are spent on your own, not with the guides, so presumably it is a slower pace since it is you who sets the pace.

Bary R

Posted by
1924 posts

Sara Y / sydance

Thanks for your post and your offer of help.

I will be beginning my serious research about Israel soon. It is still too early to book a hotel room through booking and way too early for flights.

I love this site so I will be asking a lot of questions under Beyond Europe. I hope you and Barry and others will be among those advising me.

I have just discovered R S My Way . It is a little too late for me as I have two cruises booked. One is fully paid for and I have a large non refundable deposit on the second which is the one that leaves from Haifa,

UPDATE. booking allowed me to book a hotel room in Tel Aviv. I booked The Seven Seas Tel Aviv. Got a room with breakfast and free cancellation for $593 for four nights. Has good reviews. I will continue to always look for a better deal.

Posted by
13 posts

Sara,
While I search many sites, such as Hotels, I usually book directly with the hotel. It can be a little more work, but I have found hotels are more responsive at check-in to special requests, such as a room with a view or breakfast thrown in. I have even been able to get the fee paid to the agent directly off my account.

Posted by
1924 posts

I have heard that a guest gets "better" rooms and treatment if they book directly with the hotel rather than through a third party such as booking.com

How does one test the theory?

Posted by
15011 posts

I have heard that a guest gets "better" rooms and treatment if they book directly with the hotel rather than through a third party such as booking.com

How does one test the theory?

Here's what you do.... book two rooms. One through the hotel and one through a third party. When you arrive at the hotel. Check into one room. Once settled. Leave the hotel, put on a disguise, and check in for the second room. If you don't want to wear a disguise, check in for the second room claiming you are the identical twin. Then you can see who gets the better room. Of course, you'll have to pay for two rooms. (LOL)

In most cases, you will do better booking directly because you save the hotel a commission to the third party. They may allocate a better room or throw in something extra. If it's a chain, join their frequent stay program. It's free and they try to reward loyalty.

And...if there is a problem or you need to change something, you need to deal with the third party.

Posted by
1924 posts

Last time I went to Seattle, I had booked a Marriott through Booking. It was one of the less expensive Marriott's.

I decided to see what it would cost me if I went directly to the Marriott site. I am a senior citizen and I have signed up for their rewards.

It was about $150 less by booking through the Marriott.

Of course, I cancelled my reservation through booking and went through the Marriott.

Posted by
13 posts

Someone is paying the third party a fee for the booking. The hotel, B&B, etc., is usually paying a fee for the booking. That is why they will rarely make a change to a room that was booked to a third party. If you book directly with the hotel, they may offer up a discount since it is money they don't have to spend for the booking or offer some premium in lieu of a cash discount. Keep in mind that the incremental cost of providing a breakfast voucher is nil, especially in a large hotel. Other amenities may have a cost to the hotel, say for example, a sit-down dinner voucher vs. a buffet breakfast. A nicer, larger room may have a cost if the hotel expects it can fill the room.

While, booking two rooms may be an interesting way to test, you can check the price on the internet and call the hotel directly. Some hotels will offer a discount if you book online vs. in-person.