Please sign in to post.

Is it safe to travel to Egypt in 2018?

Looking to go to Egypt on Roads Scholor and wonder if anyone has recent experience. Appreciate any real recent travel experiences from USA citizens. Would love to go with Rick Steves but not offered.

Posted by
59 posts

It is absolutely safe! My husband and I just visited Egypt in May, and we never felt unsafe. Highly recommend going in 2018! PM if need more info.

Posted by
2613 posts

We went last year. Private tour with Egypt and Beyond Travel at way less than the cost of Road Scholar. It was a fantastic trip...one of my favorites of my life. PM me if you want to see my blog from the trip.

Posted by
4525 posts

One wants to remember that being on a tour, or having a private guide means they have their ear on the ground of what is happening at a given time. They do not want their reputation tarnished and can adjust a schedule to avoid areas of conflict. this is the advantage over independent travel in countries of concern.

I traveled to Egypt shortly after the Arab Spring just when the tours returned to Egypt. I had no qualms while there, and the guide was very good about knowing what was going on and changing up the schedule so we weren't near the regular Friday afternoon protests at Tahrir Square. I say this not to reflect on the current safety factor, only the actions that tour guides will try to do to keep your safe.
One also wants to remember no one has a crystal ball to know the situation in 5 months (or even next week) and everyone has a different safety comfort level. Egypt is sitting at a level 2 by your state department alongside India, Germany and Monaco.

If you purchase adequate cancellation insurance, then you have the option to back out if the situation isn't to your liking at the time right before travel.
I might recommend a small group tour for ease of mobility. It is easier to herd 12 or 15 than a bus of 35-40 people.......

Posted by
4525 posts

Ken, not sure that can be compared with the average tourist route. And of course, there can be anomalies. Must we write everything with a caveat that 'your experience may vary'?
This particular article states it was a tour organized by one of the members, which would mean the location was part of THEIR plan. The guide was not inexperienced and there is no discussion whether he did or didn't advise a different plan, so we cannot judge or condemn. Media writes for sensationalism along with seeds of truth and rarely tells the whole story.

Road Scholar, and I would hazard a guess - 90% of travelers - do the Nile route which is far away from desert outposts.
And despite all best laid plans, things can go wrong.....like crossing the street in your home town.

Posted by
32171 posts

Maria, while the events linked in the article are undoubtedly a rare occurrence, I just wanted to illustrate that guides in some countries aren't always as knowledgeable as they should be. The guide in this case apparently wasn't aware that the area he was taking the group was closed due to ongoing military operations. I like to provide lots of information on all aspects of travel destinations, and let the OP decide for themselves whether it fits their "comfort level".

Posted by
17632 posts

It is absolutely safe! My husband and I just visited Egypt in May, and
we never felt unsafe.

"Absolutely safe" is an impossible state. Its always a matter of degrees and personal comfort levels.
"we never felt unsafe;" if 10,000 people said that it might have some meaning for me. If 1 or 100 say it, it is nothing more than perception and perception is anything but fact.

I would tend to rely on the State Department statements. Also read the warnings issued by the UK equivalent. Weigh it against your personal risk tolerance and do what feels like it will provide the experience you want.

Personally, I would go (and have been. love Egypt and the Egyptian people i met). I wouldn't be too happy about my teenage daughter going. But that's just my risk tolerance based on my perceptions from what i have read and the few i have spoken with. It means ABSOLUTE nothing if you feel differently.

Posted by
17632 posts

Oh, and Ken is right. I would use a guide and I would research the hell out of guides till i found one i knew i could trust to be alert. Still, things go boom! But the odds of being in that place at that moment are astronomical and wouldn't keep me away.