Please sign in to post.

Immunizations

I’m traveling from Florida to Rio de Janiero in April. I’m wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of finding out which immunizations I will need before I go.
Thank you in advance!

Posted by
996 posts

The above CDC website will give you the information you need. If your city has a travel clinic or a doctor who specializes in travel medicine, they will also be able to help you find out which immunizations you specifically may require before traveling to South America.

Posted by
27093 posts

Some vaccinations are rather expensive, and your insurance probably will not cover some of them. At my doctor's suggestion, I checked with my local drug store to see whether anything I needed would be less expensive there than at the doctor's office. I saved about $100; I think that was on the (oral) Typhoid vaccine. In any case, take the CDC list to your preferred pharmacy(ies) and ask.

Posted by
19 posts

Brazil is currently in the grip of a Yellow Fever epidemic. Although the vaccine is in short supply you can get it in NYC at one doctor’s office. $280 and insurance doesn’t cover it. I still got it because I will be in Brazil for 3 days. In the rainforest. I not taking chances.

I also had a Typhoid shot and Hep A and B shot. Play it safe and check the cdc website if you don’t believe me.

Posted by
27093 posts

Hepatitis A/B is a two-shot series, but having just the first one does provide some protection. I ran out of time myself before this year's trip, but I followed up to get the second shot upon my return. I think they're recommending Hepatitis these days for just about everyone, everywhere.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all so much for the wealth of information, you guys and gals are wonderful!

Posted by
32201 posts

sity,

You can also get reliable health information on the U.S. government website - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Brazil.html . Also note the warnings about crime and violence in the "Safety & Security" section. Be sure you have comprehensive travel medical insurance.

You can also get lots of good health and vaccination information on this website - https://www.iamat.org/country/brazil/travel-health-basics .

Be sure your routine vaccinations are up-to-date. If available in your area, something like Dukoral would be a good precaution. It's not 100% effective but better than no protection at all. It's an oral medication, so easy to take.

Be sure to get the vaccinations out-of-the-way well in advance of departure day.

Posted by
8437 posts

Ken, Dukoral still not available in the US, and since its liquid, perishable and must be kept refrigerated, you can't just go to Canada and bring some back for your trip. I tried.

Posted by
123 posts

This is all great info everyone! Thanks for the info ‘cause our travel year starts in Brazil in May; Quebec City in summer; Reykjavík in fall. Thanks Acraven for great info as always.

Posted by
32201 posts

stan,

"Dukoral still not available in the US"

That's really surprising. I can't see any reason for that, but perhaps there's an alternative product available in the U.S.?

For first time users, two doses are required and are taken at least one week apart. No prescription required AFAIK. For those able to drive to Canada, the first dose could be taken at the pharmacy / travel med clinic and the second dose could be carried home using ice packs.

Hopefully it will be available in future.