Please sign in to post.

Iceland in December

I'm stopping in Reykjavik for four nights the first week of December; on the way to Europe.
I know it will be light for only about 5 hours a day, and wondered what things are open in Reykjavik in the dark evenings.
Will Museums and churches be open into the evening, or will they close at regular hours?
I'll probably be on my own, so won't be going to clubs or pubs.
Any other winter recommendations/
Thank you!

Posted by
7049 posts

I don't know if Reykjavik museum hours vary by season, you'd have to check. Churches are not only not numerous, but not exactly a "highlight" in Reykjavik (the main church is a very understated, bare Lutheran church which probably has great views from the top). The City is very vibrant (great nightlife and restaurant scene) and I wouldn't expect that things shutter due to winter...most countries that have little daylight still compensate with all sorts of activities because the locals have to make the best of it. It may be too early, but look on the events section on Reykjavik's website ...I'm sure they have enough cultural activities going on (live music, plays, etc.) to keep you busy for four nights. I know the Blue Lagoon (and probably other pools) are open quite late because they are very popular.