Please sign in to post.

Hawaii late April 2024

Looking for the top Hawaiian Islands and must see attraction. We are looking to spend 10 -12 days late April 2024. Also would like to know if a car rental is cheaper than using taxis and uber's. Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

Posted by
1652 posts

I've been to Hawai'i 14 times, although not recently.

It would help to know your interests.

Oahu is the "main" island and the most visited. That's where Honolulu and Waikiki beach are. Sights to see there include the Polynesian Cultural Centre, Waimea Falls Park, the Aquarium, Diamond Head Crater, Punchbowl Crater, Sunset Beach, Hanauma Bay (good snorkelling), and Pearl Harbour, among other sights. Waikiki beach is long but busy. One of the reasons it is popular is that it is relatively safe for swimming.

Maui is the second most visited island. Sights to see there include Haleakalā Crater, Lahaina, and the Seven Sacred Pools.

The "Big Island" of Hawai'i has Volcanoes National Park, a black sand beach, and it's quieter than Oahu or Maui.

Kauai, aka "The Garden Isle" has a mini Grand Canyon (Waimea Canyon), Fern Grotto, the Spouting Horn blowhole, and Wailua falls. It is fairly quiet, tourist-wise, but be aware that it also gets the most rainfall.

The other major islands of Lanai (once largely covered by a pineapple plantation) and Molokai (once a leper colony) are less visited, but one can do day trips there, if desired.

Posted by
12 posts

The Bus system is fantastic on Oahu, but still, I would absolutely rent a car. There is just so much to see and it is all so easily navigable by car. I lived on Oahu for years and have returned many times since (including May 2023) and while it is expensive to rent (because you also have to pay to park it every day), having a car provides the flexibility to poke around and see sights, stop at beaches on your own schedule.
We stay in Waikiki because we like its vibrancy around for sunset and dinner hour. We aren't into the fancy shopping (Chanel and such), so we just ignore that part of town. If you prefer a more remote experience, you can go north to the North Shore (e.g., Turtle Bay) or west (e.g., Disney et al). We find that there is just so little to do off property in evenings in these locations, however.

And while we definitely do spend some of our days frolicking on Waikiki Beach (gentle waves, warm water, beautiful backdrop) we generally daytrip out of Waikiki every day we are there because there are SO many beautiful places around Oahu. We go east through Hawaii Kai and even as former residents, we still stop at all the overlooks as we wend our way to Haliewa on the North Shore to marvel at their beauty. There are no parking fees at Hawaii beaches, so we often beach hop and we'll see 4-5 different beaches in a day. Few activities I'd recommend:
Make a reservation to hike Diamond Head. It's 90 mins round trip and not a difficult climb at all. The views are stunningly beautiful.
Hike Makapuu trail (I think it's no more than 1 mile) and enjoy the stunning view up the east coast. In April, you should still be able to see whales right below.
***Make a rez to see the Arizona Memorial.* Profoundly moving.
See Bishop Museum and Iolani Palace** to learn the beauty of Hawaiian history.
Take a lei making class -- such an important part of Hawaii's culture.

Maui and Hawaii are beeeeautiful as well, and well worth a visit. A car is a must-have for both.
ENJOY!!!

Posted by
23268 posts

It all depends on the island, and where you are staying. The island are different, Are you planning to island hop or stay on one or two islands? Norwegian cruises line has a one week cruise that loops around all the islands with a different ports on different islands each day. Obvious if you are going to drive around the island then a car is needed. In major cities Uber works well. Car rental is very expensive but most things in Hawaii are expensive. Need a better idea of what you want to do. Have you consulted any guide books?

Posted by
2952 posts

Kauai’s Napali coast is the most beautiful of all the islands and is a good jumping off point from Oahu. Hawaii, the big island is the least scenic of Hawaii’s six islands that is closest to the mainland.
Once you decide which island(s) this is the guidebook you want to buy: https://www.revealedtravelguides.com/. They also have an app you can download on your phone.

Posted by
5581 posts

Misc. tips:

Car rental rates are slowly dropping as companies build their fleets back up. Still expensive. We've used Turo on Kauai and the Big Island. On oahu, car rental rates have been a bit cheaper than the other islands and I use the regular car rental companies (Dollar and Enterprise) If you rent for Dollar at the Honolulu airport, sign up for the club or whatever it is so that you pick up the car on the lower level and avoid the sometimes hours long wait.

Parking on/near Waikiki is extraordinarily high. You could rent a day at a time. Surfjack hotel is about 4 blocks from the beach and does have free parking.

In April, the Albatross are likely still at Kaena Point and make that hike even more fabulous. Note, no bathrooms, little shade, bring hat, sunscreen, lots of water and snacks.

Posted by
8445 posts

+1 on the Revealed guides. But you really have to focus on what you expect to see and do. All the islands have great beaches and watersports, so the other things you are interested in should make your decision.

You could do two islands in 12 days. Agree that Kauai is the most beautiful, but also further away. We are partial to Maui because it has some of everything. IMO, I think a rental car is almost essential, as you'd be very restricted there by public transport. Even then, there might be some local shuttles to take you to some attractions, and parking is often an issue. Cheaper is not the issue, just saving time getting around.

Where are you coming from? It makes a difference in flight access.

Posted by
2952 posts

If you decide on Maui, you could take a day trip from Lahaina to Lanai (1h 45m) and rent a car. Also consider flying to Molokai for a couple nights. If the weather permits, you will fly past the world's highest sea cliffs that is well worth seeing. To see the cliffs from land, visit the leper colony by mule or hike down. Bring rainwear.

Posted by
11180 posts

We are looking to spend 10 -12 days late April 2024.

In that amount of time no more than two islands is practical.

Other than Oahu/Honolulu, a rental car is really the only feasible transportation. ( unless you plan to just sit at a resort the whole time).

Posted by
11180 posts

Hawaii, the big island is the least scenic of Hawaii’s six islands that is closest to the mainland.

I disagree.

Each islands has it's unique features, while all share a common theme/ambience.

We've used Turo on Kauai and the Big Island.

I recently returned from the Big Island and Alamo was cheaper than Turo. Be sure to compare carefully, and check rates often.
(In my case 8-10 weeks out rental cars were $100/day. 2-3 weeks before it got down to $50/day. Rates went back up to $60/day just before I got there)

Posted by
640 posts

So glad you will have more than a week in Hawaii. I have not been to all the islands, but agree with most of the posters regarding what to see and do. I do, however, disagree with marypat about Hawaii, the big island. Yes, the Kona side is not at all attractive, just full of resorts . But the Hilo side, the side with Volcanoes Natl. Park, is loaded with lush tropical areas to visit. We drove from Kona, south and around the tip of Hawaii and north along the Hilo (weather) side. The tropical beauty was wonderful, and the ambience was much more laid back, more "old Hawaii." I won't go into all that we saw and did, but do some research before deciding. (March or April is the month for the Merrie Monarch Festival, the biggest hula competition in the world.) The weather is wetter, but that makes for a more lush setting. Really, the big island is much more "Hawaiian" than any other island I have visited. Just think about it.

Posted by
5581 posts

Completely disagree that the Big Island is the least scenic. We found it absolutely stunning. It is necessary to take in all parts of the island to appreciate it. The beaches and ocean on the west side are pretty, but inland, less so. The east side is the rainy side so its lush. I think Carlsmith beach near Hilo is the prettiest beach I've ever seen. I also find that the Big Island is a more "authentic Hawaiian experience". We were on the Big island a little over 2 weeks. We stayed in 3 locations. Hilo, Volcano and Waikoloa.

Kauai is lovely, but it sees a lot of travelers and it was very frustrating to deal with traffic and parking.

There is so much to Oahu that many don't see. I've driven around the island quite a few times. I do enjoy some time at Waikiki, but there are beautiful beaches on all sides of the island. There are also many cultural sites, too. Iolani Palace, the Bishop Museum, Pearl Harbor, etc.

We do use the Revealed guides and though I hate the way they are organized, the information provided is excellent.

Re. Turo. I've gone to Hawaii quite a few times in the last 4 years. We went to Kauai in March of 2022 and the Big Island in March of 2023. I did a lot of searching for rental cars. When travel restrictions were lifted and travel resumed, car rentals became so expensive. I found Turo to be the best deal, but if rates for the rental car companies are going down, I'd much prefer to use them. I was told to check Costco, and often, but the rates never dropped much. We had a great Turo experience on Kauai, on the Big Island it was fine, but we were a little uncomfortable with the person we rented from. Car rentals have been cheaper on Oahu and Turo was never a better deal than the traditional car rental companies. All a person can do is search all options and often. I'd lock something in at least 3 months in advance, but continue to check.

Posted by
4322 posts

My choices would be Kauai because it's so beautiful and green and the Na Pali caves are something to see, and the Big Island because of the volcanoes. I also suspect that Maui has more tourists.

Posted by
7667 posts

We visited Hawaii in 2018 on a TransPacific cruise from Australia to Seattle. We had two days in Oahu and one in Maui.

We enjoyed our visit and found some great things about Hawaii. Enjoyed Pearl Harbor, the north side of the island and many scenic views. Maui was a mixed bag, yes it was beautiful, but our tour took us through a residential section that included several houses with old junk cars in the yards, piles of refuse, just plain ugly. It soured me that some of the natives could be so reckless with the natural beauty of the island.

From what I was told, I think the Big Island would be a great place to visit over Maui.

I must say that I expected more from Hawaii, perhaps it was because I visited that state after visiting stunning islands in the Azores, Canary Islands and Fiji that it didn't hit me as the most beautiful place on earth. Frankly, I like the Azores the most.

Posted by
674 posts

As someone who lives in Hawaii, I have to say that the "Revealed" books are hated! They give bad information, and even direct people to trespass on private property. Better guidebooks are from Lonely Planet.

I suggest that you go to the TripAdvisor Hawaii forum to learn more about our state.

Posted by
2304 posts

hey hey geepbc
no to ubers and taxis. few and far between except oahu (you can rent car for a day or two with drivehui.com an app, onesrentacarhawaii.com), price surging. discounthawaiicarrental.com then register with autoslash.com they will email you when price drops, you like it reserve, cancel other one, may take a few times be patient or you can look every week until your trip then more as it approaches. always read fine print. another thing: check ins to hotel/condo are 3 to 4pm and check out is 10 to 11am. people ask what do i do now? luggage in car (safety issues), rental return earlier and late flight out, or arrive early and more wait time.
do not agree at all with MaryPat about big island is least scenic. each island has it's own attractions and beauty, it's tropical settings. it's different strokes for different folks.
i'm from the big island, hilo/hamakua coast/waimea. island has 8 to 13 climate zones, can combine all other islands into this BIG island.
coffeetimes.com
click LBD coffee times, hawaii guide, click each island with lots of info about the islands.
Big island very rural so spend time driving & exploring, not a day trip here and day trip there. don't want to spending hours driving in a car looking thru windshield. stop to smell the plumerias, coffee, and tropical air
like other islands, visit the towns/villages, spend the night or two. most are looking for that resort/dizzeyland "compound" with lots of fees & parking costs daily, beach front place, which not all islands offer that, rugged lava coast not beach friendly or white sand. the beaches will be there when you return. lots of hawaiian history/monarchy legacy on all islands that people should learn about.
big island has the volcano national park, hiking trails, lush gardens/parks/botanical flowers & plants, old time relax and kickback in funky old historic plantation town, farmers market, waterfalls, lava caves, black sand beaches, south point "Ka Lae" up "mauka" mountain of kealakekua, it's water activities at bay, coffee land/mac nut fields. old coffee shacks, mom & pop shops, down to kailua kona village, few beaches but gorgeous views and many restaurants, up the coast past airport to resorts/beautiful beaches, hot and dry side, continue to north kohala/pololu valley, back down mountain road with lush green rolling hills to "handsome cowboy country" of waimea/kamuela with stores, restaurants, lots of ranching history, continue onto town of honokaa to waipio valley.
get a good map and see what interests you, ask about interisland travel, with 10 to 12 days 2 islands is good, april is spring break, whale watching, snowbird getaways, just go with the flow and enjoy. ask more questions you will get good bad and ugly, like naalehuretiree mentions "revealed books are hated", tourist writing about places he should not have gone to plus trespassing on private property and other areas not welcomed, like off roads.
this is my take of my home island that i love and am partial to. give it time to explore. lived on oahu for 10 years, worked on kauai and maui years ago when it was not as crowded as is now on all islands. your decision. good luck
aloha

Posted by
640 posts

princess pupule....Amen to all you say about the big island. Beauty, beauty, beauty, especially on Hilo side, from top to bottom (or bottom to top)!

Posted by
808 posts

We have been several times, and Kauai is our favorite of the islands. The "Wings Over Kauai" aerial tour was terrific! Hiking in Waimea Canyon State Park was also a highlight. We stopped at Ishihara Market on the way and picked up some things for a picnic lunch. Visits to to Koke'e State Park and Polihale Beach were also worthwhile. The "Big Island of Hawaii" is very different from Maui, but we loved that about it. Volcanoes National Park is worth a visit; Pu'uhonua O Honanunau National Historical Park gives you a glimpse into old Hawaii; you can kayak across Kealakekua Bay with the dolphins; the Black Sand and the Green Sand Beaches are unique. If you have the budget, and want to splurge, then a stay at the Kane Plantation Guesthouse is definitely worth a look. Michael & David have turned the former home of artist Herb Kane into a tropical paradise that you won't soon forget. Oahu is our least favorite island, but with that said, I believe that a visit to the USS Arizona Memorial should be on everyone's "must see" list. I do not know if a car rental would be less expensive than taxis and Uber, but I can't imagine touring the islands without my own rental car. Aloha!

Posted by
2304 posts

hey hey TravelBug79
thanks for your info about kauai. last time i spent time was for work, shipping me from hilo once a week for 6 weeks to help out during hurricane iniki, long ago. few years after to my cousins wedding over weekend. not much time to be a tourist. you listed alot, only difference now is that ishihara market shut it's doors after 90 years in march 2023.
sad about that, maybe someone will take over later this year or next. they were ready to retire.
didn't know about the kane plantation in honaunau, will check it out.
each island has their pros & cons and to each their own. good to post and let people decide what they want and like.
aloha

Posted by
421 posts

All depends on what you are looking to do--I have been to Hawaii 10 times and have been to each island. My brother lived on Oahu for 30 something years so my first few trips were going out to visit him. Of course that island is the population center and most developed, but has a great North Shore to get away, along with some iconic sights (Diamond Head), restaurant/shopping choices, museum, royal palace, and the whole Waikiki scene. Kaua'i has an idyllic, lush, wet north side (Princeville, Hanalei) and a drier, sunny south side (Poipu). Great hiking, kayaking, the grandeur of Waimea Canyon, some nice beaches, and not hard to get some solitude. This was my favorite island for a long time. Maui has what people often say is the best choice of beaches, more population centers, nice resorts, Haleakala Natl Park, farm tours, great oceanside town of Lahaina, and the beautiful road to Hana on the east side of the island. Lanai is awesome--I just loved the quiet, and getting away from people. Great beach there, and a nice town to walk around. Moloka'i had the most remote, unpopulated feeling (but this was "long ago" in the 80s, not sure about that now). I just remember having whole beaches to myself, not very built up, few resorts or hotels, hiking felt very remote, and a really wild feeling. Hawai'i Island is my favorite--such varied landscape, major feeling of aloha, and really easy to get away from people. Volcanoes Natl Park hiking, really nice town of Kailua-Kona, outdoor markets, Mauna Kea volcano, Kealakekua Bay kayak and snorkel, nice beaches in the Kohala area, coffee farms. Have not actually spent a lot of time in Hilo, on the wetter, lush east side of the island (botanical gardens, waterfalls). I am really missing the islands--last trip was 2021 and ready to go again.

Posted by
14 posts

OMG!!! Thank you all for the tips and advice. I have my homework cut out for me!! We are planning on leaving from the Los Angeles area and fly to one of the islands. We are interested in seeing the history of the islands, nature, and experience some of the uniqueness that you can only see and do on the islands.
Any suggestions on hotels and restaurants that are a must stop and try would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Posted by
2304 posts

hey hey geepbc
before hotels and restaurants be mentioned, tell us what islands you want to visit and what you budget is, how many people, condo or hotel and how many days you will be staying on each island.
traveling interisland is not a hop skip & jump like some may think. if you have a car, return, check in to airlines, security walk thru.
when you book flight from LAX, do the multicity option, for example:
LAX to OGG (maui)
OGG to KOA(kona) (buy interisland separate with southwest or hawaiian air
KOA to LAX

LAX to LIH (kauai)
LIH to OGG (buy interisland separate)
OGG to LAX

LAX to KOA
KOA to OGG or LIH (buy interisland separate)
OGG or LIH to LAX

doing this, you will not have to back track for roundtrip. look at each airport and which flies more flights to LAX. if you fly from LIH think you fly to HNL (honolulu) then to LAX. just play around with the different flights and what works best for you. read times of arrivals, later afternoon better for check in or book an extra day if late flight, do you have a layover and how long, and gosh forbid no way i want to be up at dark thirty for a 6 to 7 am flight!! LOL
also know april is spring break, snowbird season, late whale watching. don't know what will happen next year, still crazy times traveling or will it calm down, economy/inflation may cause a damper, can't wave my magic wand.
as naalehuretiree mentions, go to trip advisor hawaii forum, then click each island and get info or even ask a question. they are there to help you out with good bad and ugly, like this forum. good luck
aloha

Posted by
11180 posts

Any suggestions on hotels and restaurants that are a must stop and try

Need to know which island(s) you decide on, and how many nights you will be there.

I have always stayed in a condo so have no hotel suggestions.

Posted by
663 posts

You have gotten a lot of good advice here, so I will add just a little more information. We spent 8 nights on the Big Island in late March-early May of this year and loved it. It is large and diverse. You can read my trip report at https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/much-more-than-beaches-the-big-island-of-hawai-i-2023. We could have easily spent several more nights--you will see great suggestions in the comments on my report.

In 2015 we spent 8 nights on Maui: We drove to Hana straight from the airport and spent 2 nights there, then spent 1 night part way up Haleakala so we could get up to see the sunrise and do just a bit of hiking in the crater, and 5 nights on the beach at Napili Bay. It was a great trip, but 8 nights was enough time to do what we wanted, since 4 beach days is enough for us. You could also take a snorkel trip to Molokini Crater, which we didn't do as there was good snorkeling right off the beach at Napili.

We have been to the south shore of Kauai as well, but it was long ago.

Posted by
14 posts

Hi again, so only myself and hubby are going on this trip. I am thinking that we will visit The Big Island (possibly), Maui, Oahu, and Kaui. I am just now figuring out the budget by looking up costs for sight seeing, travel, and lodging. There are activities that I have been told not to miss and wanted to see what all of you think.
The Big Island: I have been told to see the volcanoes, waterfalls, the sunrise on Mauna Kea, and the gardens

Maui: Road to Hana, Haleakala, sailing cruise, Snorkel, tour a plantation, beaches, state parks, and gardens.

Oahu: Pearl Harbor, Diamond head, Museums, Waimea valley, Gardens, and beaches.

Kauai: The sheer beauty of the island, beaches, and gardens

I know each Island has its own beauty and things to do and there is some overlap between them all. If I have to give up seeing one Island I think it would be the Big Island. This will be my hubby's first time here and my second. It would be nice to show him all facets of Hawaii, and see it again with him.

While researching all the activities to do on all these islands the one I am questioning the most is the Road to Hana. Is it better to go with a small group or can you see everything by yourself and still do it comfortably? Also, do I need to make reservations ahead of time to do certain activities before going over? I am an overachiever when it comes to travel! I want to experience it all but know from previous experience that I also do not want to "kill" myself and not enjoy! If there are things that do not live up to the hype I would love to know and do something else.

Regarding lodging we are open to Vrbo's or hotels. It will come down to price and location. Any advice would be appreciated. It would be nice to be close to the water if possible (I'm a hopeless romantic!)

Again, all of you have been more than gracious with your advice, patience and helping me out.
Thanks!
Geep

Posted by
11180 posts

While researching all the activities to do on all these islands the one I am questioning the most is the Road to Hana. Is it better to go with a small group or can you see everything by yourself and still do it comfortably?

There are tour group buses that go to Hana. I doubt they go somewhere you couldn't do on your own.

Mostly its your comfort level of driving a curvy, hilly, narrow road cluttered with folks who should be on a bus. If that is not 'comfortable' for you, do yourself ( and everyone else) a favor and take a bus tour.

The big sunrise thing is on Haleakala, on Maui. Obviously the sun does rise on Mauna Kea, but I doubt it is the experience you are looking for.

Being close to or on the water is not that difficult. The better the view/proximity the price goes up.

Posted by
421 posts

The Big Island: I have been told to see the volcanoes, waterfalls, the sunrise on Mauna Kea, and the gardens

Maui: Road to Hana, Haleakala, sailing cruise, Snorkel, tour a plantation, beaches, state parks, and gardens.

Oahu: Pearl Harbor, Diamond head, Museums, Waimea valley, Gardens, and beaches.

Kauai: The sheer beauty of the island, beaches, and gardens

Maui--yes, lots of great beaches and snorkeling. We also did a farm to table tour there and dairy farm. We have done road to Hana twice, but never the whole way. We have gone a little over half way. If a tour is available, probably a bit less tiring. Spending the night in Hana would be better. But there are many nice places to stop along the way. Have been up Haleakala twice. I didn't worry about being up there for sunrise. Be aware weather can change quickly. First time it was totally clear and could see the whole crater and did a hike into it; second time I went up there it was socked in by clouds. Sailing cruise not so much with my seasickness but they are popular.

Oahu--enjoyed Diamond Head. I think they have reservation system now? Really liked the North Shore. Some good beaches on the east side. Yes, did hiking in Manoa Valley and Ko’olau Mountains. I actually really enjoyed walking the whole length of Waikiki from one end to the other (Outrigger Club to Ala Moana). So much to look at.

Kaua'i--Waimea Canyon hiking; loved beauty and lushness of North side. Some great beaches too. River kayaking very tranquil.

Hawai'i Island--my favorite island. I love the diversity of landscape, ability to find solitude, and I always really felt a very strong aloha spirit there. Unfortunately have not spent much time on the Hilo side. Yes for Volcanoes National Park. Coffee farm tours. Cacao farm tour. Snorkeling. City of Refuge. Some good beaches on Kailua-Kona side, and a few on Hilo side too. Have gone up Mauna Kea to the visitor center and short hike, but not the summit. Have heard great things about botanical garden north of Hilo.

Posted by
663 posts

With 10 to 12 days I would only do 2 islands, and hope to go back another time and see another 2 islands. That's assuming you would want to spend some days sightseeing and some days relaxing on or in the water. We were anxious about driving the road to Hana, but had no problems with it. However, some people do the round trip in one day, and I would not recommend that. I'd spend at least one night (we spent two). Any two islands should make for a great experience.

Posted by
1081 posts

Recently, many of the state parks are requiring reservations to control overcrowding. Make sure you have those in place to be able to see some sites and be able to park.
https://gostateparks.hawaii.gov/

We had friends recently return from Kauai and this was an issue for them since they didn't reserve in advance.

Posted by
2304 posts

hey hey geepbc
totally agree with Gail. many places you have to reserve time and date you plan to go. get online "hawaii time" to reserve, don't know where you live but remember the time difference between you and hawaii.
many beaches that many want to go to that they see on social media/instagram charge per person and parking. do your research and make a list of what you want and plan to see.
your time of traveling is spring break, whale watching, snowbird season. when you see a place to rent and agree with it, book it. look at all the fees they have, especially cleaning and parking. they may have free parking or by the day, which can be expensive.
if honolulu you can check rentals for a day or two. taxis & ubers can price gouge. parking is a PITA on the islands and street parking is tough to find. some hotels/condos may be first come first serve
weekends can get really busy at beaches around the island, so leave early to get a place. decide where you want to go, 2 islands sounds good with you travel days, stay in one place and do day trips. it can take at least half a day to move with afternoon check ins.
also with island hopping is not as simple as it sounds. make sure you check the multi-city flights with no backtracking.
when you decide on islands always come back and ask questions before you book and get good bad and ugly info from the posters here. only want to help out so you have a great trip.
aloha

Posted by
2304 posts

hey hey all
the fires are so damaging with lots of destruction.
lahaina town, boat harbor with boats, homes are gone. it's like a war field. roads are closed, heard kula lodge upcountry is no longer.
flights of tourists flying in has been halted. flights are just flying tourists to honolulu to convention center that holds 4,000 or back to mainland. stay away from maui, hawaii government has claimed an it an emergency. 6 deaths, 3 airvac to straub burn center in honolulu and 3 to other honolulu hospitals
mauinewsnow.com
bigislandnow.com
the big island is bad but not like maui, fires from south kohala/mauna lani resort area all the way to north kohala/kohala ranch up in hawi. my family are okay, just smokey near waimea & hamakua
smoke is thick with fires along road way, evacuations, hiway closed from hapuna beach to hawi. it's a mess with too many cars trying to get away, stay away from either island. a sad day for the islands.
aloha

Posted by
3112 posts

How awful.
Many Canadians go to Maui, I guess that will stop for a good while.
Hoping that the people who live there can be safe, or safely evacuated.
Our poor world..😒

Posted by
5835 posts

https://www.hawaii-guide.com/hawaii-wildfires-august-2023

Maui & Big Island Wildfire Alerts
Last Updated: August 9, 2023 at 12pm HST
This is a developing/ongoing situation on Maui and Hawaii (Big Island) islands. At this time, flights to and from Maui are being impacted by devastating fires. Beginning August 8, 2023, these fires flared up as Hurricane Dora traveled south of the islands but caused wind that whipped up the fires on Maui and the Big Island.

Ongoing Updates
Maui flights are still operating for essential travel, but some flights are delayed while others are canceled. As of 11am HST on August 9, 2023, almost 20 flights have already been canceled, while nearly 50 more are delayed.

Current wildfire status
Maui fire crews continue to battle three large wildfires - one in Lahaina, one in south Maui near Kihei, and one in Kula, which has now burned more than 1,000 acres since it was first reported early on Tuesday (8/8/2023) morning.

Catastrophic damage reported in West Maui
A portion of Front Street in Lahaina has reportedly been destroyed. We have also received reports of at least six fatalities due to the fires. Our hearts and prayers are with those on Maui.

Haleakala Summit remains closed and Kipahulu area to close in Haleakala National Park
Haleakala National Park's Summit area remains closed to visitors due to high winds and wildfires located outside the park. The Kipahulu area (beyond Hana town) of the park will close today, Wednesday August 9, 2023. Both districts/areas of the park will remain closed until further notice. The park will reopen once conditions improve. Any changes in the park's status will be posted at www.nps.gov/hale.

We'll continue to monitor this situation and update accordingly...

Postpone Travel to Maui
Getting to Maui or out of Maui is difficult at this time, and we would highly recommend against attempting to travel to and from the island until further notice. The state has also asked that all non-essential Maui travel be postponed (see below for official notice). The duration of this recommended pause in travel is still to be determined.

Posted by
1924 posts

I took a Hawaii Cruise on Norwegian Cruise lines. NCL is the only cruise line allowed to leave from Honolulu and sail to three other islands. It is a seven day cruise and you might consider it before staying on one other island for the next seven days.

It is on a. small ship, Pride of America (POA). No casinos and not much entertainment as compared to the larger ships. The atmosphere is quieter and more relaxed. It is known as port heavy.

You can also book a post or pre cruise through Norwegian if you are taking the cruise.

It is a good "Taste of Hawaii". Each island and port has its own personality, natural beauty and places to see. There are also some similarities.

One couple on my ship was taking the same cruise for the 35th time. Another couple was taking the cruise three times in a.row.

On the Big island, I liked Kona as well as Hilo. My excursion was canceled on Kona so I just walked around. There were museums, beaches, historical sites, good Kona coffee, winding roads, and lots of beauty.

Posted by
421 posts

So tragic, shocking, and heartbreaking to see the destruction of Lahaina and the surrounding area. A friend of ours lost their father, dogs, and homes in the destruction. I think of that big banyan tree and all it had seen during its life overlooking the square and the harbor, and to see it all end in this horrific way. We bought a landscape watercolor in a gallery the last time we were there, and I was looking at that hanging up in our house and thinking about all that loss--and the aloha spirit and sense of family that will come to the aid of rebuilding shattered lives. It will be a different Lahaina eventually, but I will miss the town that was, and its friendly presence on that beautiful shore.

Posted by
7034 posts

Very, very tragic to see. Death toll now in the 30's with more likely to come after search and rescue done in the coming days. When I think of Hawaii (and other island nations) I always think more about the hurricane destruction, not about wildfires. Praying for firefighters to get these fires under control soon. Living in Oregon I know all too well how horrible the results of wildfires can be.

Posted by
11180 posts

So sad to see places we have been are now smoking cinders.

Some of the night time pix/videos, remind me of my night time visit to the volcano on the Big Island in June with the black and orange landscape.

As for the OP trip next April, the tourist $$ will undoubtedly be appreciated as according to one report I read, 75% of Maui's economy is tourist related.

Posted by
9573 posts

It's awful, just awful. The loss of human life and animal life is heartbreaking.

I am glad your family is okay, princess pupule.

I am so sorry for your friends Pete. Devastating. The scope of this fire is unbelievable.

Posted by
15810 posts

Aloha, Princess Pupule. Great to hear that your family is OK! That's some very good news amidst the horrific mortality toll and loss of homes, livelihoods and historical treasures. I sincerely hope that people are generous with sending/providing help, both monetary and physical, to get the many homeless fed and sheltered. It's so sad.

So sorry about your friend's loss, Pete. I wonder about others of RS forum helpers who live in the affected areas of the 50th state, or who have friends or family who do?

Posted by
674 posts

I live on the Big Island. My good friend's daughter, son-in-law, and young baby survived; their home and their business didn't. A friend has started a Go Fund Me account which has already raised over $50,000. Caitlin and her husband will be sharing that with their five employees.

Anyone who wants to help out can donate to the "official" fund created by the Hawaii Community Foundation. It is called Maui Strong: https://www.hawaiicommunityfoundation.org/maui-strong. HCF is a reputable organization; my local charity has received grants from them in the past.

Posted by
2304 posts

mahalos everyone for your kind posts.
hey hey na'alehuretiree
another member from the big island, she's on the southern end with some action down there. after the fires in north kohala/big island and maui, had 2 fires set down near her and was caught yeah. hearing so much going on im maui, some of the ugliness is coming out. there are many issues in lahaina but the fires also continue upcountry near haleakala in kula which is not mentioned in the news.
so many people that have/had reservations on maui still want to go since some places are still up. i just say NO.
give the island and it's residents time to clean up, transfer goods to island residents, government asking for places for them to stay when they have lost everything. knowing for a long time housing is few and far between and outrageously expensive with cheap pay and inflation, not enough workers like many areas around the country. many left island when covid hit, now this. heard some places have 15 in a 2 bed/2 bath to lay there head, asking for tents, blankets, air mattresess, coolers, canned goods, diapers, health & beauty concerns, medicines, etc.
3% of lahaina has used search & recovery of ashes, so so sad. many helpers flown over to do what they can. it will be a long time just wish tourists will stay away. shipping things with matson containers from oakland to long beach to honolulu to maui, may take 12 to 13 days, so many cars burnt, no gas or propane, roads blocked, just goes on and on.
it's not easy when you're on an island waiting for supplies. i was here when the big fires happened north of me in marin county, lake tahoe. some wanted to stay some left, orange/brown smoke hanging over bay area for days, many deaths. still trying to clean up area. many insurance companies are of no use now.
last night there was a 4.5 earthquake below volcano, many people felt the shake rattle and roll, is madame pele waking up and another eruption? many travelers have changed islands for their vacations, oahu, kauai, or big island. flights will be busy, places will be very crowded if they can find a place last minute, slim pickens and over the roof prices, many looking for "budget rooms" just like many on this forum for europe. don't know what budget means to some when prices are $600+. good luck to all
many have left island to other islands or mainland to family and friends that are welcoming them in. will they return who knows
just pray and hope for all the residents on the island of maui.
aloha