Please sign in to post.

Hawaii

My husband and I have never been to Hawaii. We plan on visiting our son who is stationed in Oahu. At first we were thinking of taking a 4-island cruise, however we would like to discover areas on the islands and are hesitant to spend the extra amount charged by the cruise companies for additional excursions. We thought perhaps visiting Oahu for a few days and then flying to Maui and renting a car for several days may be a better fit for us. Also we were thinking of going at the end of November/beginning of December. What do you suggest?

Posted by
8441 posts

We've been to Maui twice, and highly recommend going there in addition to Oahu. Yes a car is necessary to get around. Nothing against a cruise, but seems like a waste of time to be looking at the islands, but not quite being there. We like the Hawaii Revealed website and guidebooks (one for each island, as in "Maui Revealed" and "Oahu Revealed". Lots of good info. We also liked the Kaanapali Beach Hotel on Maui, enough to go back again, which we normally don't do. You can fly back to the mainland from Maui too, which saves a trip back to Honolulu.

Posted by
1091 posts

Agree with everything Stan said. We love Maui and tend to return there. We do also love the north shore of Kauai. It is much slower even so than Maui, but there is lots of hiking, scenery and relaxation to be had. Since you haven't been before, I would definitely suggest Maui and renting a car. Not knowing your price point, Kaanapali or Makena beach hotels are the best areas. Lahaina is a great place to shop and eat. Best thing to do by far is lay on the beach and soak in Hawaii.

Oahu is extremely crowded and busy. The only reason to visit here, in my opinion, is to see your son.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you Stan and April for your responses. I will definitely look into the "Hawaii Revealed" publications. Also, is end of November/ beginning of December a good time to visit, or do you suggest a different time of the year?
Thanks again,
Debbie

Posted by
2768 posts

I have been to Oahu, Maui, and Kauai. I would definitely visit Kauai or Maui in addition to time with your son. Oahu is very nice, and once you get away from Honolulu the crowds diminish but the other islands seem to have a slower feel.

The islands are easy to explore on your own so I wouldn't find a cruise necessary. Better to rent a car and get out there instead of seeing from the cruise, I think.

I prefer Kauai over Maui, but that is a matter of personal preference. Kauai is less developed, and the north shore is unlike anything on the other islands, or really anywhere else on earth. Waiamea canyon is also spectacular. The island is small enough that wherever you stay you can drive to any other part in a couple hours.

Weather is good year round - but the ocean swells change seasonally. One side of the island may be dangerous swimming in winter and calm in summer, or vice versa. That's something to consider when deciding where to stay

Posted by
3595 posts

Our first visit to Hawaii was an end of Nov. to early Dec. one, dictated by the fact that we were celebrating our 50th anniversary at that time. On the big island, every day of our week had highs of 82 degrees F. We made that choice because it looked like winter weather was best there. Last summer, to celebrate husband's 80th birthday, we visited Kauai. It's lovely, but the rainiest of the islands. Probably not such a good choice in winter.

Posted by
2824 posts

Your proposed dates would be an excellent time to visit Hawaii. It's about as close to low season as the state ever gets, so you should be able to find some very good deals on both airfare and accommodation by shopping around. The low prices usually extend until the week before Christmas.
If your son is in the military stationed on Oahu then you're eligible for what I've always thought was the best kept secret in the islands- the Kilauea Military Camp located within the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island. It's a full service military recreation area, with great deals on cabins on the (dormant) rim of the crater, plus enough discount day trips and tours to keep you busy for several days. They even offer bikes and golf club rentals if you're so inclined. Not sure if your son needs to physically be there when you check in or if he can just sponsor you - best to inquire directly with KMC to sort that out.
Here's the link: http://kilaueamilitarycamp.com/
Inter island air fares are pretty steep. It's about $99 one-way from Honolulu to Hilo and $79 to Kona. You might be able to find a good deal by exploring a "multi-destination" booking that would combine travel from your home airport to Honolulu, then over to the Big Island, and then home from Kona. Worth doing some comparative shopping at any rate.
There's plenty to see and do on the Big Island aside from the volcano. Hilo is on the rainy side of the island and is home to numerous tropical flower farms. Some spectacular scenery to be had too, but it's lush for a reason...expect at least one passing rain shower every day. If you cross over to the west on the saddle road to Kona you'll be on the dry side of the island. Lots of pretty beaches, calm surf, some of the best snorkeling in Hawaii and, if you're a certified diver, you can swim with the manta rays at night just off the coast. My wife still raves about that one.
There are also side trips to the Mauna Kea observatory and the Parker Ranch in the middle of the island near the town of Waimea.
Do get off of Oahu if you can. The real Hawaii is out on one of the neighbor islands.
Safe Travels.

Posted by
2824 posts

Meant to add that your son can also sponsor you for discount tickets and tours thru the local, on base, ITT offices on Oahu. They typically offer some pretty good deals on everything from luaus to whale watching cruises to trips out to the Arizona Memorial. Might be able to arrange accommodation at the local Navy Lodge or Air Force Inn as well.

Here's the Pearl Harbor Navy website: http://www.greatlifehawaii.com/itt/information-tickets-travel
Am sure that Hickam has something similar.

Posted by
1878 posts

My wife and I have been to Hawaii together three times, Kauai twice (2003, 2004) and Maui once (2010). We have stayed both on the north shore of Kauai, and in Poipu (south shore). Arguably the bigger attractions are on the north shore but we really enjoyed Poipu. We did find the snorkeling beaches to be more choppy in Kauai than Maui, but this might have been luck of the draw. Kaanapali is the place to stay in Maui, in my opinion. Mid range in terms of price, but nicer than Kihei. Maui had an actual Safeway, whereas Kauai only had local grocery stores that were pricey and with less good selection. (I think Kauai has been built up more in recent years so they may have better grocery stores too now). Both Maui and Kauai are excellent choices. We have taken a number of cruises, including in Europe and enjoyed them. But Hawaii is not a place where a cruise makes sense, in my opinion. You are going to have to pony up for excursions that have gotten more and more expensive, likely the ports are not conducive to just doing you own thing the way the might be in some places. Also Hawaii cruises for whatever reason are pricey for the length of the voyage compared to other cruise destinations. I think you can see a lot more by choosing an island and getting a hotel + car package.

Posted by
178 posts

Great advice in all of the posts.

The Hawaii cruise that is offered by Norwegian Cruise lines on the Pride of America is a major rip off. It sails to all of the islands but it's really overpriced for what it is. You can travel between the islands on your own and have a better time.

Posted by
356 posts

Robert gave you really good advice. My husband was stationed in Pearl Harbor and we've been back multiple times. The Big Island is magic, but most tourists don't go there. Maui is more popular and Kauai is beautiful. Oahu gets the bad rep, but Pearl Harbor, Ford Island and the north shore make it more than worth a day or two.

As your son is stationed there, he should be able to get some great deals. We stayed during our last visit at the Navy Lodge on Ford Island. We've also stayed on the Big Island at the military camp Robert mentions. Your son might also be able to get you lodging Hale Koa at Waikiki - might be fun for a day or two.

The time you're looking at is good. Not a lot of tourists and before the high season. Skip the cruise idea. I don't know how long you are looking at, but there is plenty to fill a week or two.

Posted by
2527 posts

The Oahu/Maui combination sounds good for you. As noted, why cruise when you can actually be on the islands for your holiday? Oh, I agree with the expression, Maui no ka oi. Weather at the time you'll be there? Well, I recall arriving at Kahului Airport during rain. Another tourist said, "A bad day in Hawaii is better than a good day in Ohio."

Posted by
327 posts

You have some good suggestions from others, however, which islands you visit ultimately depends on how much time you have and how you like to spend your days and nights. The end of November and early to mid-December are slightly less busy than other times of the year (with the exception of Honolulu Marathon the second Sunday in December). After many annual visits, Oahu and Kauai are my favorite islands but all the islands are worth touring at least once or more.

We typically stay 2-4 weeks in Waikiki (near Fort De Russy Park) and rent a car for a day or two to drive to favorite spots around Oahu (North Shore, Turtle Bay, Laniakea Beach-Haliewa, Polynesian Cultural Center, Lanikai Beach, Bellows Field Beach Park, Bishop Museum). The Bus is also easy to use throughout Honolulu, and you can even ride it around the entire island of Oahu in about 4 hours or take the entire day and stop along the way.

When our 2013 Hawaii visit was 4 weeks, we enjoyed the NCL Pride of America 7-night cruise. It is not necessary to take the ship's costly shore excursions - you can book your own combination of shore excursions directly with Robert's Hawaii or rent a car and park it overnight near the ship for the ports in Maui and Kauai. The cruise fares seem to be less expensive in mid-January.

If your son is in the military, he may be able to get you reservations at the Hale Koa Hotel on the Fort DeRussy military reservation, a 72-acre tropical oasis on one of the finest oceanfront areas of Waikiki Beach on Oahu. It is an easy walk to the Hilton Hawaiian Village or the Outrigger Reef Hotel if you wish to take in some Hawaiian-style entertainment.

Just a note: Kauai can be wet but heavy showers are brief and the island is beautiful. Kona on the Big Island is too hot for me and VOG (from the volcano) with Kona winds can sometimes make the weather unpleasant for those who have asthma or breathing problems (even on Maui and Oahu). No matter where you go, I hope you enjoy the "aloha spirit" of the islands.

Posted by
60 posts

Hi Deborah

Each island has its own charm, unique sites and special ambiance. Consider your first trip here a sampler as you'll surely want to come back for more!

If your son is stationed in Kaneohe, consider looking at the Paradise Cove Inn in Kaneohe. The units are very nice, you're right on the water and you're only about 10 minutes from the base. I definitely support the idea of getting the special accommodations that are available for military families. There are amazing opportunities that the rest of us don't get to engage in. If he's at Schofield I'd recommend that you look at the North Shore area. The former Turtle Bay Hilton is a really nice hotel.

While you are here on Oahu be sure to go to Kailua Beach, Chinatown for some good food (The Pig and the Lady is excellent), Waikiki for gawking at tourists and perhaps a stop at Bishop Museum or Iolani Palace. There are so many things to do on Oahu that you really don't need to go anywhere else. I live here so I am delighted by the very different sides of Oahu.

If you like volcanoes, this is the time to go to Volcano National Park. That military deal sounds really good. The lava is flowing in spectacular ways right now, as we speak. See Bruce Omori for fantastic shots every day. He has a gallery in Hilo, which by the way is not such a great town but the Hamakua Coast is amazing and fun to travel around.

Maui is a major tourist center. Big crowds, lots of traffic and you'll mostly interact with tourists, not locals. However if you take the road to Hana it is an amazing day or two, not experienced anywhere else.

BTW November is the perfect time for good weather. December is the beginning of our rainy season and you will have some rainy days possibly. The temps are really nice though!

Kauai is a beautiful island with lovely hikes (as all the islands have), nice resorts and a wide assortment of entertaining outdoor activities.

You really cannot go wrong here in Hawaii no matter how you configure your trip. One tip...try to stay at least 4 days on each island. Remember that when you are flying from one island to another it does still take 3/4 of your day to transfer and settle in. Also Island Air has some good inter island fares right now as they have a new owner.
Aloha
Carol

Posted by
9 posts

Greetings, I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank those wonderful souls who have responded to my inquiry. Such great suggestions! This is truly a fantastic resource. No doubt I will return with additional queries for other travels in the future. Much appreciated.

Debbie

Posted by
237 posts

You will definitely need a car for getting around Maui. Almost anything you can get on a cruise excursion you can do on your own with a car and a good guide book and/or reading on your own before you go. There are some books out that are Hawaii specific. There are some good guidebooks I've used before called Maui Revealed (and The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook if you plan on visiting Kauai.) From memory they are written by local authors and might prove helpful to you. Have a great time and please tell your son thank you for his service!

Posted by
11 posts

We did the four island cruise and it worked out perfectly for us. We landed on Oahu (our 50th state we had been in!!) and spent four nights on Waikiki before doing the cruise. At each of the island stops, we had plenty of time grab our rental car (we did that in advance) and drive to the areas that we had planned to see. We even took a helicopter ride on Kauai. On Maui, we were told that we could drive the Hana Highway but to turn back eventually and never to drive the rest of the way around the island. I'm not saying we did it anyway, but we loved seeing the part of the island that most folks never see.

So, without giving the cruise company more money, I suggest renting cars and going off on your own.