Please sign in to post.

Enumclaw WA Scottish Highland Gathering and Games July 22-23, 2023

Wondering whether my fellow Forum members, especially those in the PNW, know much about the gathering of clans and Highland games held in Enumclaw WA. I am planning on attending this year and thought of posting an open invitation to Forum members who might be interested in meeting up for an event or two, or perhaps to enjoy a meat pie and pint. Here is the link - hope you join me.

I will also post this under Scotland forum.

Enumclaw Gathering and Games

Posted by
6323 posts

I wish I could come but I will be babysitting the house and dogs while the rest of my family travels. However, I am planning on going to a Scottish Highland Gathering and Games when I am in Scotland in May - I'm really looking forward to it!

Posted by
1322 posts

Mardee, I recall your trip plans and wish you a lot of fun.

Posted by
10225 posts

We will be in Washington, just a few miles from Enumclaw, but we’re scheduled to leave on July 21st! I’ll have to see about shifting our dates so we can be there through the weekend instead. My daughter went last year and had a great time. Thanks for posting this.

Posted by
10225 posts

Dates have been extended and we will be in the area until the 24th. Such a sacrifice, we will just have more time with our infant grandson. ;-)

Posted by
2027 posts

Oh that would have been fun! We live in the area, but will be in Iceland during that time.

Posted by
1322 posts

Andrea - happy you have extended your trip to experience the event in Enumclaw. I was totally blown away my first experience and since then, it really solidified my desire to explore my heritage in Scotland. So, that’s what I did last September (as you know). The Braemar Highland Games were one of the trip highlights for me.

Liz: Imagine Iceland is a good idea (you’ve been there before…). Have a wonderful trip.

Posted by
6323 posts

Linda, did you by any chance post a trip report? I would love to read it if you did.

Posted by
238 posts

Thoughts on where to stay? There's nothing on the website other than camping. If we went, we'd probably want to do the whole weekend, so we'd need something with a kitchen.

Also Denis wants to know if anyone knows how many bands? Ah, the massed bands, it's one of our favorite things. In Alma, Michigan we'd watch bands enter from all four corners of the football field and fill the entire field. Such a sound!! And then there's the lone piper playing Amazing Grace, which always makes for a lump in the throat.

Thanks,

Donna

Posted by
1322 posts

Donna and Denis, I’m not sure where to stay for the weekend. Last time I went on a day trip from Seattle. It isn’t that much of a drive (maybe 45-60 minutes) for me, so I might do that again. I live in Seattle.

However, I’m also thinking about trying to get a camping spot at Kanaskat-Palmer State Park. But the last time I looked, the campsites were already booked for the weekend. Holding out hope but otherwise, there are small hotel/motel options not too far away.

Posted by
2027 posts

Linda--Thanks, yes it will be our 5th trip to Iceland. As for camping/cabins take a look at www.hipcamp.com . It is sort of like the Airbnb for camping. We use it a lot here in WA and have always found great places. Ironically, just yesterday I got a message from one host where we stayed last year and he was welcoming us back for the season. Hipcamp has camp spots, but there are quite a few cabins as well.

Posted by
1322 posts

Mikliz97

Thank you for the hip camp idea. I have seen those advertised in the past. I will check it out. Another source is Harvest Host - my cousins in Colorado and Montana are members. Nice to have these alternative accommodation ideas.

Posted by
2027 posts

Linda--I am not sure, but I think Harvest Host is only for rv's or vans, not tents. I looked at it briefly a while back.

Posted by
6323 posts

Linda, you should have seen mine, lol!! And I would love to hear about London, too - it's on of my favorite cities!

Posted by
2187 posts

Donna & Denis - I’m guessing by this time the few places in Enumclaw are already booked. Depending on where you’re coming from, you could check Buckley, Auburn or Sumner and then widen your search from there. There are places towards Crystal Mtn., but that used to be a scary dark drive if you stayed for some of the fun stuff in the evening.

Posted by
1322 posts

Liz, thanks for that reminder about Harvest Hosts locations only for RVs (self contained toilet is a requirement). My cousins have an RV so it works out for them.

Hipcamp is wonderful. I found a spot at a little farm about 4 miles from the Enumclaw Expo Center.

Posted by
238 posts

I suppose it's logical to assume that the participants reserve most of the options well in advance, as in as soon as they are available, year by year. We are not familiar with the area, so thank you all for options.

Posted by
16287 posts

If you are still looking for lodging, consider combining the Games with a visit to Mt. Rainier NP, Sunrise side, before or after. Sunrise is one of two stunningly beautiful areas in the park, laced with trails and in-your-face views of The Mountain.

https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/sunrise.htm

There are cabins and condos in Greenwater, 20 miles up highway 410 from the Highland Games venue. This is a small community on the way to Mt. Rainier. You can find them on AirBnB. Or go 30 miles, almost to the NP boundary, for a resort with condos and small swimming pool, near the Crystal Mountain ski area.

https://www.logecamps.com/alta-crystal-wa

Pretend you are in Switzerland and ride a lift to the Summit House for views and a meal.

https://www.crystalmountainresort.com/the-mountain/summer

Posted by
1322 posts

Lola, thank you for mentioning our lovely mountain and all that it has to offer. I’ve been to Paradise many times and Sunrise just once. On clear days, the mountain is stunning from all angles.