Please sign in to post.

Egypt

My husband wants us to do a trip to Egypt next year that would be a land and river tour. Which companies have you used and been happy with for this trip?

Posted by
7642 posts

We had a fantastic two week tour that included two 3 day river cruises with Gate 1 Travel.
We took all the optional tours and our tour that included free airfare from NY JFK Airport was about $3500 pp.
Viking's cost for a similar tour was almost double that cost.

Posted by
11133 posts

We went to Egypt and Jordan with Odysseys Unlimited and were extremely pleased with their itinerary( two different cruises), archeologist as our guide and their whole trip. . Guide was Hassan Letif, excellent! We signed up for the extension to Jordan too which I highly recommend doing. The two portions on ships were on Lake Nasser and on the Nile. At Lake Nasser we pulled right up to Abu Simbel, one of our favorite days of the trip.
I can’t recommend this trip highly enough! Wonderful hotels too.

Posted by
3822 posts

Agree with Suki. We loved Egypt and our Nile cruise. We only did one. Definitely go to Jordan since you are right there! Jordan surprised us, especially since we really had no expectations. Petra was amazing, lotsa walking on dirt and pebble strewn trails, be prepared. We also did one night at Wadi Rum sleeping in the desert in a tent. We even had a sand then Rain storm. My WOW moment of the trip. We were just there this past March. We used Mazada tours which is an Israeli based company cause we also went to Israel. You would be better with one mentioned above.

Posted by
693 posts

We loved our two private tours and dahabiya cruises with Djed Egypt.

Posted by
619 posts

pollocktoni,
Since Egypt was my #1 bucket list trip for my whole adult life, I was thrilled to go for my 75th birthday. It was the year before Covid, and AAA set us up with Trafalgar Tours. Lots of times tours with 35-40 people are denigrated as if they were cattle car tours, but we found it not so. We had two full days in Cairo, flew on the 3rd day to Luxor where we began a seven day Nile cruise to Aswan and back, taking one optional trip to Abu Simble by plane. Everything else was included except for 2 or 3 lunches in Cairo. We had a delightful and knowledgeble guide (a college teacher when not doing tours) who brought ancient Egypt to life. Our group of 39 tourists were congenial and not the obnoxious travelers you find in some movies. We had the boat practically to ourselves and I have to say that just sitting on the top deck watching life on the banks of the Nile as we sailed along was so peaceful. On return, we had another full day in Cairo . We saw all the sights you could wish for, and DH and I stayed one extra day to revisit the old Coptic area of Cairo, and the Cairo Museum a second time. (Flights from Cairo to Europe usually leave about 1:00 a.m., so we kept our bags at the hotel and taxied to where we wanted to go.) Even though we left the day after the tour ended, we were still taken to the airport by the tour company driver.
I would highly recommend Trafalgar Tours. We never felt rushed or crushed and enjoyed the camaraderie of our fellow travelers. The only complaint we had was with Lufthansa Airlines. We used to really like their service, but it has gone downhill, as has any sense of comfort on the plane. (Miserably hard seats on all four legs of our journey). If I had to do it over again, I would fly Turkish Air to Cairo, transiting in Istanbul instead of Frankfurt (a miserable airport).
I hope you get to Egypt. It is one of our best trips ever (out of 27 foreign countries I have been to).

Posted by
619 posts

P.S. We went in February. Perfect weather!

Posted by
2073 posts

Well, don’t go in August like we did. I thought I was going to die from the heat. I was young and dumb but the price was right! We used OAT and did tack on the Abu Simble optional your. Sadly, we couldn’t add the Jordan extension due to being working stiffs at the time. It was a great trip with great Tour mates of various ages.

Posted by
6274 posts

I just signed up for this OAT tour for Egypt along with the optional Jordan 5 night extension. It's gotten very good reviews from members here, and I'm really looking forward to it. It's a small tour group - from 8-16 people, and it uses a dahabeya to cruise the Nile instead of the larger cruise ships. https://www.oattravel.com/trips/small-ship-adventures/middle-east/egypt-and-the-eternal-nile-by-private-classic-river-yacht/2021/itineraries?icid=destcmp_ego_lk