Please sign in to post.

Cuba January 2020

4 middle aged girlfriends are planning a trip to Cuba next January. Any suggestions would be appreciated including how many nights, 3, 4...more? Any “don’t miss” tours? Comfortable, safe accommodations, etc.
Thx!

Posted by
11156 posts

We spent a week and wished we had more time in Cuba. I would say a minimum of a week. Cuba is very safe due to huge penalties for crimes.
What is your itinerary so we know where to recommend accommodations?

Posted by
260 posts

I didn’t think Americans could go to Cuba to vacation.

Posted by
32202 posts

Pam,

While Cuba is a popular destination, there are a few "caveats" to be aware of. If you're planning to travel around by Bus, this is one of them - https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/cuba-bus-crash-1.4974466 . Judging by the statistics at the bottom, this is a fairly regular occurrence in Cuba.

You may have already covered this, but it might be prudent to take only Canadian dollars or Euro when you go....

"Cuban banks do accept US dollars as long as you bring them with you from the states. (Remember you can't take US currency out of an ATM or bank in Cuba). But, if you bring them with you Cuban banks will convert US dollars into CUP or CUC (more about the differences later). BUT they charge a HEFTY penalty (10-15%) for US dollars on top of the bad exchange rate."

Your U.S. credit or debit cards likely won't work anywhere in the country.

You may have already checked the U.S. State Dept. website. You may want to have a look at the equivalent Canadian website for things to be aware of - https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/cuba .

Be sure your vaccinations are up-to-date. Zika, Dengue and other tropical diseases are a concern there so mosquito repellent would be a good idea.

There are some combo packages sold by travel agents here that include 4 nights in Varadero and 3 nights in Havana. Those are mentioned on this website - http://vacations.aircanada.com/en/vacation_packages/destinations/Cuba .

You could also have a look at these tours, as they may fit the bill too - https://www.gadventures.com/destinations/central-america/cuba/ . Some of their accommodations are in Casas Particulares, so that will be more of an "authentic" experience.

You may also enjoy watching this - https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/video/travel-talks/travel-guide-to-cuba . Keep in mind that the regulations for U.S. travellers may have been different at the time Rick travelled there.

You may find this website interesting - https://www.tripcentral.ca/blog/cuba-travel-tips/ OR this website - https://www.cubatravel.cu/en/ .

I didn't check the flight options from your area. There are lots of direct flights in the winter from major Canadian cities.

Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
6534 posts

National Geographic also offers tours. I’m sure they are nice but might be pricey.

Posted by
10188 posts

If you are on a US passport you are not allowed to vacation in Cuba. You are allowed to go under certain categories: humanitarian, support of the Cuban people, etc. The People-to-People category was eliminated in May. You must keep a journal of activities. Road Scholar runs its trips using the Support category now. If you are participating in educational work, religious missions, you can go. Choose your category carefully.

Accommodations: you aren’t allowed to stay in any Cuban government-run hotels, so if you stick to the Spanish chain Melia, you’re okay, even if it’s on a jointly owned contract. There are Airbnb and private homes converted to hotels. Same with restaurants: you are supposed to eat in only private ones.

I spent two weeks this year with Road Scholar, traveling end-to-end. Unlike our Canadian and European brethren we weren’t allowed any beaches or resorts, though a couple of hotels had pools. We were required to be engaged in People-to-People activities 8 hours a day. I’ll be returning again next year with a Sister City group.

If you aren’t traveling on a US passport, none of the above applies.

Posted by
4535 posts

With the recent changes by the Trump Admin, you definitely need to do thorough research on traveling to Cuba (for US citizens). I have yet to hear of any prosecutions, but they have severely restricted the reasons for travel there. Of course there are ways around those restrictions, such as flying from Mexico or Canada. The Cubans welcome tourists and oppose the travel restrictions and embargo.

Traveling within Cuba can be very difficult on your own. The bus system is not good and it is very difficult to rent cars (I know people that have done it and are very experienced travelers, they had a very difficult time). But Havana offers plenty to do for several days or even a week. But many of those "things" are touristy, which you are not permitted to do primarily.

As to how to pay for things, US dollars are converted at a 1:1 rate but charged a fee. Hotels (easiest) and banks (harder to find, lines) will do the exchange for you. I'm not sure if privately owned pensions will exchange for you. Canadian dollars or Euro are not charged the fee, but you'll pay conversion fees to get the cash from your bank. You'll have to decide depending on individual circumstances if that is a better deal for you.

Cuba is a very safe country by Caribbean and Central American standards. Other than standard precautions, you should be safe to travel and be out and about.

"Comfortable accommodations" is a bit of an oxymoron in Cuba. What Westerners would expect in comfort is not what can be provided there with the various embargoes and rationing. Expect some challenges and discomforts and you will enjoy the visit. For example, restaurants may have very limited menus, and often what is on the menu is not available. Food quality ranges dramatically (private restaurants tend to be much better, but that is relative). Hotel beds/mattresses will likely be uncomfortable. I found everything to be clean though, even if there was sometimes no running water or the roof leaked.

Posted by
10188 posts

Need to add that with the lack of ATM machines and two banking systems that don’t interact, you have to carry cash with you, lots of cash, including for medical emergencies or if you need a quick ticket back to the US. As Douglas said, Euros and Canadian dollars are charged 3% for changing. US dollars are charged 3% plus dinged an extra 10% for being US. I took as many Euros as I could find. I changed at hotels.

Our hotels were unlike what others have reported, all 4-star with air conditioning, welcome cocktails, and porters, mostly the Melia chain.

Next trip will be in a cinderblock dorm on thin mattresses with a delegation from our city.

Posted by
4573 posts

This thread was resurrected today by a promotion thread that has been removed. Check the OP date.

Posted by
54 posts

I went with a G Adventures group for two weeks (they also run shorter trips) and it was one of the better trips I have taken. So nice to get off the resorts. There were several Americans in my group. They went from either Cancun or Panama City. Cuban customs will not stamp your passport so they just played off that they would have spent their time in Mexico/Panama if questioned. They were aware to not buy any souvenirs that would have blown their cover!