Please sign in to post.

Cuba

Thinking of a week trip to Cuba. Any suggestions? Must see’s? Things to avoid? Reading up on it now too. Thanks.

Posted by
6431 posts

Because of the US restrictions on Americans' travel in Cuba, consider a package tour with a company that has a license, like this one. I had a very good tour with them last spring. They provide an itinerary that meets US requirements to be "educational" and "people to people." There are other companies that I'm sure also do a good job. You'll have an English-speaking Cuban guide as well as a US-based tour director, both with expertise you'll appreciate.

There's a lot to see and do in Havana, but it's good to get into the countryside and visit smaller places like Sancti Spiritus, Trinidad, and others.

Netflix has a good documentary called "Cuba Libre," history of the island from pre-Columbus to Castros. A little breathless but lots of good info and interviews. Made by Europeans. This book was an excellent long history of Cuba, up to 2005, by a British journalist.

Posted by
1 posts

I'm a little late to the party... but my favorite thing we did was a hike in Topes de Collantes outside of Trinidad. We got to swim in a waterfall, visit a coffee plantation, etc. I actually just started blogging about my travels (more so as a diary for myself), but wrote up all of my Cuba favorites- adventureswithmybestie.blogspot.com. Happy to help if you're still looking for more info too!