Please sign in to post.

Costa Rica

Is Costa Rica safe for three mature female travelers? If so, which side of the country is the easiest to access for a variety of activities?

Posted by
50 posts

For the first question: Although crime has increased in Costa Rica lately it is still one of the safest counties in latin America. Things to keep in mind. If renting a car NEVER leave things unattended in the vehicle. If stopping for a meal make sure the restaurant has a security guard watching the parking area and tip them !-2 dollars when leaving. Avoid walking around San Jose late at night, use taxis. If you plan to use public transportation such as buses always watch your luggage. A better option is use a service such as Interbus. They use mini buses and will pick you up at your hotel and deliver you to your destination hotel in most tourist areas. Another advantage is if you need a rest room stop your driver will find one for you,
Second question: The Pacific side is easier to access and has more to offer. Here are 2 areas I frequently visit. La Fortuna/Arenal Volcano area. Many fine hot springs to visit. Manuel Antonio on the central Pacific coast. The best and safest beach is in the National Park. You will need to purchase a timed entry ticket on line. Many beaches on both coasts have rip currents so always check locally before swimming. Many people drown every year because they panic and try to fight the current. It is stronger than you are a swimmer. If caught in one let it take you out until the current curves and lessens then simply swim parallel to the shore then swim back to the beach
RDJ.

Posted by
4656 posts

I am a solo older woman and did my own DIY birding trip to Costa Rica in Feb /23. I had no qualms or negative experiences.
However, I flew I to Liberia rather than San Jose. San Jose has its reputation so be more vigilant.
I didn't rent a car, as didn't travel daily. Driving can be challenging in the central area. The travel from La Fortuna to Monteverde can get thick fog and the roads are twisty and narrow. It also takes much longer than Google maps shows. The drive into the highlands (east) from the Pacific is also challenging. Once in flatter areas, things are much better.
If you don't need a car daily, there is a very comprehensive system of shared shuttle vans. They were efficient, on time and take you pretty much door to door between lodgings. That is what I used.
With 3 of you, you could look at private drivers.
Local busses are theoretically good, but there isn't one coordinated system so you may need to walk a mile to catch they next bus company to your next location.
It seems more crime is theft and petty crime. AirBnBs may be targeted...seems worse over Christmas. If you get a place with security gates and cameras, ensure they are working when you arrive. If they are not, call AirBnB, report it and consider walking away. These can be I side jobs.
When you leave your lodging, of any kind, ensure all valuables are locked up and out of sight. I often travel where average income is less than my home country, so I ensure the minimum of anything is visible. If you don't want the inconvenience of something disappearing, then don't take it or keep it out of sight. It is less about mistrust, and more about not providing temptation.
Costa Rica is one of those countries where it can be easier to plan activities, tours or guides once in country. Hotels have lots of advice or resources, so you don't need to book everything online ahead of time. Online booking systems and websites can take a substantial amount of the fees, whereas direct booking or a phone call/WhatsApp can get the same or better service at a better price.
Also look at AirBnB Experiences for local guides and offerings

Posted by
14 posts

Where did you go birding? Was it a good experience? That is one of our main goals in addition to experiencing as much of the area as possible.

Posted by
4656 posts

My primary locations were Monteverde, Fortuna and Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui.
If you can get in, there are 2 or 3 biological stations in Costa Rica. I think Road Scolars used to use them for their bird tours.
I was able to stay at La Selva Biological Station, and even booked it on Booking dot com. There is one more nearer the Pacific coast. LA Selva was a highlight. They are rooms with bunk beds and a fan but no AC. Mine had 6 beds and an attached bath...just for me. Food is included, as cafeteria type 2 choices a meal...it is primarily there to feed the researchers...but adequate. My booking included a free bird walk, but you can book others.
There are numerous guides in Monteverde. One I used for a night visit for frogs and things (a common activity in Monteverde). He found me some night birds and a sleeping hummingbird. Daniel, olingoexpeditionsmonteverde dot com. The other offered group bird trips through AirBnB...but also has a site. Roysmonteverdenatureguides dot com
These are local guys who know their birds, but can't pay the big advertising or get signed on to US companies....so they have a few jobs to make ends meet. They are personable, well organized and accommodating....and well priced.
I stayed right in LA Fortuna, but there are many birds lodges in the area. I used a small AirBnB affiliated with the Bogarin Trail (a sloth sanctuary). I had daily free access there with my lodging. It is quite birds and they do a feeding station and pond, so a nice visit....plus the sloths.
Add in the Pacific coast and Palo Verde NP, and you would have a great trip.

Posted by
14 posts

I just returned from my third Costa Rica visit. I have travelled in Costa Rica as a solo female traveler and I have never felt unsafe, even in San Jose. If it works out, flying to Liberia would be a better choice than San Jose if you are renting a car. It is a very small airport and it is easier to drive to and away from than the San Jose airport. I have used Interbus for transportation within Costa Rica and it is a good alternative to renting a car if you are concerned about driving on the roads in Costa Rica and theft of luggage left in car. The previous post is correct about making sure to park where there is security if you have luggage in your car. The downside of using a private transport such as Interbus is that you have less flexibility in terms of when you leave and arrive at hotels and less freedom to explore. Most tours such as night tours will provide transportation. Have a wonderful trip!

Costa Rica is considered one of the safest destinations in Central America. Many mature female travelers visit the country without issues. However, like traveling anywhere, it’s wise to follow standard safety practices such as avoiding isolated areas at night, securing your belongings, and staying informed about local advice.

For tailored advice and detailed guides, Toorizta.com is an excellent resource. The website provides comprehensive information on various destinations, safety tips, and activity recommendations across Costa Rica. It’s a valuable tool for planning your trip and ensuring you have a fantastic experience.

In summary, Costa Rica is a wonderful and safe destination for mature female travelers, with multiple regions offering diverse activities. Make sure to check out Toorizta.com for all the details you'll need to plan an unforgettable trip!