Please sign in to post.

Costa Rica 10 days January 2020

Happy New Year! This is our first time in Costa Rica. We have booked a last-minute flight to San Jose, Costa Rica, January 24-Feb. 3rd, 2020. We are looking at staying 5 nights in Manuel Antonio/Quepos for deep sea fishing and sightseeing and five days near Arenal and Monteverde. Would this be the best way to break down our nine days?

We have not arranged transportation or a rental car. The flight to Quepos is currently $100 each one way. Not sure how to get to Arenal from Quepos.

All suggestions are welcome, especially ground travel and excursions. We have driven in Europe and are not opposed to driving but don't want to spend our trip in the car. We are 61 years old, in good shape and looking to zip line, fish, hike and anything else you suggest. Thank you for all suggestions! Roni Pridemore

Posted by
54 posts

Can only give suggestions for the Arenal and Monteverde sections, but we rented a car and I would suggest that. Most of the sights that we went to in Arenal and Monteverde are spread out and we found having a car very helpful. We had no issues with the rental. We did rent an SUV as the roads around Monteverde can get quite rough. We were there at the same time of year you are going. We used Vamos and they were great to deal with. Roads were easy to navigate, but like most will tell you, I wouldn't drive at night. There are lots of great hiking around Arenal. We went white water rafting and visited hot springs there as well. In hindsight I would have done some wildlife tours there as well as the eco system is very different than in Monteverde. There we did ziplining and both day/night nature and wildlife hikes.

We also stayed in Airbnb's and were very happy with our accommodations.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you so much for the great suggestion! We are getting excited!!