Please sign in to post.

Christmas 2018

My husband and I are looking for a travel destination December 2018.

We will have about 10 days to travel and are leaving from Atlanta area. We would prefer outside of the US.

We love hiking, camping, fishing, exploring, volcanoes, rain forests, mountains, waterfalls, kayaking, biking, and anything outdoorsy!

We are flexible as far as the weather!

Posted by
5697 posts

We used to spend Christmas on Kauai. Mele Kalikimaka!

Posted by
6429 posts

Hawaii or Mexico or Costa Rica would be good choices. Though you're flexible about weather, I'm guessing you'd prefer a warm-weather climate where you can do more of those outdoorsy things in winter. If I'm wrong, how about the Canadian Rockies or the Swiss Alps? ;-)

Posted by
1547 posts

Try Nicaragua. Was there January of 2017 and it should have quite a few of the things you listed.

Posted by
3387 posts

This is a duplicate post also in General Europe...post in one or the other.

Posted by
5835 posts
Posted by
4 posts

Thanks everyone! Hawaii seems to be our best bet.

We don't have a preference for cold or warm weather. We've never really experienced snow and have only snowboarding once, but we are open to all activities!

Posted by
5835 posts

I should have mentioned that Hawaii is not "outside the US" but is along with Alaska is outside the "contiguous 48 states". That means you don't need a passport unless your state's identification is a non-compliant Real ID. You also do not need to convert your US Dollars and you can withdraw more US Dollars from Hawaiian ATMs and use your American credit cards without foreign transaction fees. However Hawaii does have a first world economy.

On a separate note, the two sides of the Big Island are dramatically different in terms of weather. The Hilo side is the wet side with rain forest etc. The Kona side is the dry side with mostly blue skies and sun and not very green.