Please sign in to post.

Caribbean golf/beach vacation in May 2023

We're interested in a Caribbean vacation in May 2023 -- prefer a beach resort with a golf course on site. This is a celebration trip for our son's graduation. We've never done anything like this before and would like to stay away from major cruise ship centers and super touristy areas. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Posted by
23267 posts

This is not a good site for your question. This site is primarily focused on European travel. To have a nice golf course and beach resort you need lots of tourists. Locals don't play much golf. Go to the Fodors.com site and you can check each island. Now we spend most of January and some Feb cruising the Caribbean. Learned a long time ago it was cheap to book cruises than to book a beach condo in Florida -- especially this year.

Posted by
1370 posts

Check out Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. It has a string of resorts with some having golf courses and it's close and easy. While it's geared to tourism it wasn't overly touristy IMO although it's been 10 years since we visited. Beautiful area!

Posted by
8439 posts

Well, you can find beach + golf at just about every destination in the Caribbean. Avoiding cruise ships isn't an issue if you stay away from the docking & market area. The primary factor I'd use in choosing an island, is how easy it is to get there from where you live. Flights are tricky if you have to make connections. For example, there are no direct flights from where I live, so some of the more appealing locations take a whole day or overnight layover to reach. Bahamas are easiest to get to since they're so close to the mainland US. Spend some time looking at that.

Note: some of the islands are flat and relatively unattractive, while others are mountainous and more interesting. And some are friendlier than others. And maybe you want to consider just looking at "all-inclusive" resorts.

Posted by
908 posts

You should check with a travel agent who specializes in that part of the world. Any of the major islands will have resorts with golf that are tucked away and semi-private. The Caribbean even in May is still teaming with cruise ships so you really can not avoid it.

Posted by
7661 posts

I don't know a Caribbean island where golf is a big deal. However, if you can find one in the Virgin Islands, that is a great place to visit.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions... True to an earlier post, I realize this site may not be ideal as Rick Steves focuses on Europe, but I absolutely adore Mr. Steves and feel that those who appreciate him as well may have some insight into traveling in the Caribbean (preferably in a sightly off the beaten path manner). Thanks again for any advice.

Posted by
2399 posts

St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands is not called on by big cruise ships. It has golf courses. In Puerto Rico has some and they are away from San Juan and not bothered by cruisers. My father played Dorado Beach years ago

Posted by
1321 posts

I'd recommend St Lucia golf and beaches or Barbados. St Croix is ok but not my favorite island.