Please sign in to post.

Cairo? Egypt?

Doing a quick (1 week) Egypt tour . . . planned by others. Includes a cruise from Luxor to Cairo with all the big archeological sites (I even decided to do a hot air balloon first early morning inLuxor). While I don't have tons of flexibility, I am looking for tips, warnings, and general thoughts from those here who may have done something similar. Thanks.

Posted by
7642 posts

I recommend spending more than a week in Egypt. You need 10-12 days minimum.

Also, cruises from Luxor to Cairo are rare, but I did find one that was 12 days long. Further, what about the typical 3-4 day cruise from Luxor to Aswan or in reverse?

Personally, I would skip the hot air balloon. It is modestly dangerous, expensive and not that great.

You will need 3-4 days in the Cairo area to do the Pyramids, Egyptian Museum, Pyramids of Sakkara and more. Then, fly to Aswan or Luxor for your 3-4 day cruise. If you have more time, include Abu Simbel.

I have done Egypt twice and am going back in January with Gate 1 Tours, check them out, they have great prices.

Posted by
186 posts

The trip is scheduled for early October. Traveling with a group of expat friends from Valencia (we are living in Portugal) and the trip begins/ends in Madrid.

Posted by
186 posts

There will be time for a longer trip in future I hope. As it stands and as I explained this was set up by a group of friends. Trip starts in Luxor - Esna - Edfu then Kom Ombo - Aswan - (full day at Aswan) - Cairo - (two full days Cairo). Whirlwind, I know . . . but first trip to this part of the world and when the opportunity popped up, I agreed. Not usually the way we travel either . . . this is a package deal. (Immediately afterward we head of for two weeks in Sicily that is on our own). Also, a hot air balloon was kind of a bucket list thing. A friend did it somewhere else and the pictures were great, so I decided why not?

Posted by
585 posts

Some tips. It’s been a while since I was in Egypt but I remember having to run the gauntlet of souvenir stalls at each site; the secret is to wear sunglasses, do not make eye contact with the hawkers and very firmly say “La, shukran” - no thank you, with heavy emphasis on the La - and keep walking. Show the slightest interest and you will be swarmed.

Tummy upsets. Take a good supply of Imodium with you, if you don’t need it others will. Try and avoid getting ill. Drink only bottled water and make sure, if ordering at a restaurant, it comes to the table unopened. It is not unknown for an opened bottle to be filled with tap water. No ice in drinks, again to could be made with tap water. No salads, no street food. Having said that, you are usually pretty safe on the boats and in tourist hotels, they use bottled water for everything. Oh one thing though, use bottled water for brushing your teeth as an extra precaution.

Sunscreen, use it all the time. And wear a good hat with a brim that protects the back of your neck. Carry a large bottle of water wherever you go, keep hydrated. Drink tea rather than coffee, Egyptian mint tea, black tea with mint leaves, is very refreshing. Another is a tea made from hibiscus flowers - karkaday, also very refreshing especially iced.

Make sure you carry lots of small bills (dollar bills or Egyptian piastres) for baksheesh. You will need them for tipping washroom attendants, etc. a dollar or equivalent in Egyptian is enough. Do not give out money to kids asking for baksheesh. We were told by our guides that the Government does not want the kids begging as they will do that rather than be in school.

I did the hot air balloon ride, it was stunning. We flew over the Ramasseum and Medinet Habu and could see Deir al Bahri in the distance - would love to have flown over that but the wind was wrong. No champagne breakfast on landing, but a nice and welcoming cup of mint tea and cookies.

Although Egypt is mainly Muslim, some local alcoholic drinks are available. They make a good lager style beer which hits the spot after a day of sightseeing. Keep away from locally made spirits. Better to pay the premium for a good gin and tonic!

Finally, learn a few phrases of Arabic, the typical greetings, please, thank you etc. English is taught in schools and the kids love to try it out on you - usually asking your name.

Enjoy Egypt - it is an amazing country just be prepared for the unexpected. I have been twice and would love to go again. A week is definitely too short. My second trip was a three week tour organized by a museum and it was amazing; we went to places that are not on the usual itineraries.

Posted by
15576 posts

Yes, October is hot and sunny. Cairo can also be very humid. Upper Egypt is much less so. Water sprays and neck coolers help when the climate is dry, pretty useless when humid is high though. Lightweight loose clothing that covers arms and legs is more comfortable and cooler than skimpy. For women long skirts are really the best, allowing lots of air flow. As others have said, good sunscreen and hats in daytime.

Balloon rides can be perilous. Check the safety record of the companies.

Food for thought. Israel and Jordan have great sights too even if not the magnificence of the pyramids or the temples. February/March is about the best time to visit both.

Posted by
186 posts

Thanks for the feedback and tips (lanlubber, you were especially specific and detailed - very useful). My main takeaway is to be prepared for heat.

We have already selected a lot of loose, long sleeved and sun protecting clothing (even got the wife a djellaba - hope I spelled that correctly) and, bald as Patrick Stewart, I always have a hat. Going to look into those fan/mister gizmos.

Chani, your other suggestions are good for the future (places like Petra were already on our radar), so the time of year tip is useful. As I have noted, this is a group tour, set up by a Spanish travel agent for a group of expats mostly living in Valencia, so we don’t have much agency to make changes. The hot air balloon was optional and I decided to go for it. I guess if something terrible happens, the wife (who is not ballooning) will either find out if the travel insurance coverage is any good or be left to spend the estate on her own. LOL (On the other hand, it will mean all my Sicily planning will be no benefit for me!)

Posted by
11131 posts

Be ready for the locals trying to sell you their wares, very aggressive. Don’t make eye contact and keep moving. Same in airport arrivals area.
Do not miss Abu Simbel.