My husband and I are planning a trip to Nova Scotia and Cape Breton next summer. We'll begin and end our trip in Halifax. Here's our itinerary with a question I'd love help with. (We're not hikers. We're going for the scenic drives, nice walks, beaches, sightseeing, shops, restaurants, and music.) Thank you!
Day 1 & 2: Halifax for 2 nights (arrive in town after a long drive from the US, visit/stay along waterfront)
Day 3: Iona for 1 night (to see Highland Village)
Day 4: Drive to Louisburg to see the fortress after leaving Iona. Drive to Baddeck/stay for 2 nights.
Day 5: Baddeck
* Day 6: Drive to Cheticamp (stopping along the way at Ingonish, probably, and then do the Skyline Trail). Stay in Cheticamp for 2 nights.
* Day 7: Cheticamp
* Day 8 and 9: Drive to Mabou and stay for 2 nights.
* Day 10: Drive back to Halifax, stopping in Judique along the way. Stay in Halifax for 1 night.
* Day 11: Drive to Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, and Peggy's Cove. Stay in Lunenburg (more options, as opposed to staying in Mahone Bay).
* Day 12: Drive back to Halifax for the night before driving back home to the US.
The * indicate what I'm struggling with. 1 night or 2 in Cheticamp? 1 night or 2 in Mabou? Advisable to just choose one of those towns? (That could make a really long drive back to Halifax but we could do it if it makes most sense.)
Finally, should we spend our last 3 nights in Halifax and do a day trip to Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg, and Mahone Bay, or stay 1 or 2 nights there (probably Lunenburg) before returning to Halifax for our last night?