Please sign in to post.

Booking Flights

I need help. I’m going on a huge trip overseas and I’m looking for advice on how to book flight because it’s multi city. Probably NYC to Cairo, Amman to Geneva, Geneva to London, London to NYC. From what I read, the advice is to book with an airline. Can I book all of this with one airline because they might own other ones? Please help.

Posted by
1416 posts

They may own other airlines or be in an “alliance” with other airlines.

Posted by
2822 posts

Might be worth looking at the two big alliance websites for your multi- city itinerary: Star Alliance includes United, Lufthansa, etc., and the OneWorld alliance includes American, British Air, etc.
Just do a google search to find their websites and try your multi city booking there. Each has enough member airlines to probably make this work. United, for example, has 26 partner airlines in their Star Alliance.

Posted by
2948 posts

A lot of people prefer Google and I prefer Skyscanner but you’ll learn what airlines have an alliance agreement. For example, Saudi Arabia, KLM (Netherlands) and AirPortugal partner with each other and all airlines fly to the cities you are going to. Don’t look at multi-city only also look at one-way flights when you’re departing on different days.

Posted by
5515 posts

NYC to Cairo, Amman to Geneva, Geneva to London, London to NYC.

If it were me, I’d prefer the two trans-atlantic legs on the same ticket. This could be either a single airline or partners. The shorter flights could be one-ways on any airline.

This is what I would try first:
1) A multi-city ticket flying NYC to Cairo / London to NYC
2) A one-way ticket Amman to Geneva
3) A one-way ticket Geneva to London

When you search for flights to/from London, use the code ”LON” which will include all the London airports in your search.

Posted by
4845 posts

Laura's suggestion would work well. But I would only do it if you would be staying in London for at least a day. I don't think you would want to risk flying from Geneva to NYC on the same day if on 2 separate tickets, and possibly into and out of different London airports.

Posted by
2375 posts

I would likely do what Laura suggests.
All the flights don't need to be bought from one airline at one time.

Posted by
17908 posts

I said I would never do this again, but I did. But i didn't spend much time on it (Google Flights). Laura nailed it. A quick look is the best you can do is NYC to Cairo and London to NYC on one ticket. Its about $1000 for economy on Qatar Airlines. Everything else is going to be separate tickets and dont count on a lot of code sharing. Rough guess is another $1000.

Posted by
14984 posts

There are three airline alliances. The above poster forgot Sky Team which includes Delta.

A question......will be you stopping at each destination or are they for transferring?

If you are stopping......it will be easier.

Look at Google Flights to see which airlines fly between your destinations. Since most airlines can sell tickets to fights on other airlines in their alliance, and you use the "multi-city" booking function, you will save money.

Some points:

Egyptair is the only airline that flies between NYC and Cairo non-stop. You will probably have to change planes but not have to go all the way to the Qtar to do so.

There are no non-stop flights between Amman and Geneva. (No nonstops to Zurich either).

You can take a discount airlines--Easyjet--between Geneva and London. (British Airways and Swiss airlines also fly that route.) Easyjet is not part of an Alliance.

Egyptair is part of the Sky Alliance. This also includes United, Lufthansa, Swiss and Turkish Air. Between them, they will cover all your routes. Go to any of those airlines' websites--I would start wth United--and start plugging in routes and dates under the multi-city option. It should be less expensive than booking one way flights.

Be aware that some flights will be sold under the booking airlines name but are actually operated by a different airline in the alliance. It ways say which is the operating airline in the booking.

Posted by
908 posts

Start with Google Flights and setup the trip exactly as you wish to do it by date and class of service. This should let you know if it doable through one airline and it’s code share partners or if ultimately you are going to need to make separate bookings on different carriers. Once you find an itinerary or itineraries that work book through the respective airline(s).

Posted by
7661 posts

You can check out one-way flights on Kayak.com
However, be careful what you pick on Kayak, some flights can be poor choices. Stick to major airlines.

How long is your trip? Be sure to spend a couple of weeks in Egypt, include a Nile cruise. You may need to fly to Luxor or Aswan for that.

Royal Jordanian has a good reputation, I have flown on Egyptair. It is OK, but nothing special.

Probably a good choice would be an open jaw, NYC to Cairo, then London to NYC.
Then use one-way tickets for the other.

Also, have you considered eliminating some places to simplify your travels.