Please sign in to post.

Bermuda June of 2019??

Considering a trip for a group of soon to be female college grads and their moms for May/June 2019. Most live in the midwest. We were giving some thought to Sanibel/Captiva, but for us, Florida is hot and humid by then. I've always thought about visiting Bermuda but in the winter/spring it seems to be on the cool side. Not sure if its an aberration, but a search today yielded some airfares that were on the reasonable side. Thoughts on Bermuda for this type of trip? A good place to get an Airbnb type accommodation? Reasonableness of restaurants, grocery stores and activities? Good snorkeling? Would you suggest another place?

Posted by
8440 posts

jules, I've only been there once >10 years ago, but Bermuda is a place I definitely want to go back to. We were there in July. We stayed at a hotel in the Elbow Beach area. Everything seemed expensive because its mostly brought in from somewhere else, and the cost of living and net worth of residents is high. Note that you can't rent cars there, so must rely on public transportation to get around. Look to the right, British style.

Since its in the Atlantic, it does have a temperate climate. If beach/snorkeling time is critical, I'd look somewhere further south - Cayman, Aruba, Turks & Caicos, St Thomas, or a cruise. But for us, the choice depends much on the availability of reasonable flight itineraries to get to any of those places in the Caribbean.

Posted by
122 posts

HEY Jules I think its great to be in a mom and daughter travel group. I have not been to Bermuda but you might want to check out CANCUN for cheap flights/then stay in Tulum or Playa del carmen or more rustic Isla Mujeres and Holbox. Good luck planning.

Posted by
1103 posts

Bermuda is pretty hot and humid in May and June. As a previous poster mentioned, there are no car rentals in Bermuda. Airbnb rentals are available, but many are in somewhat remote locations, making access difficult. It is possible to rent motor scooters, but these are quite dangerous.

Posted by
1226 posts

Hi. How long would your visit be? I have been to Bermuda 3 times, once in summer. I love it.

Place to stay: not sure how big your group is, but many of the "hotels" have cottages or even rooms with small kitchens. I even brought some food for my first day with me from Philly - no produce though. It will take me awhile, but I can check on the one resort I liked best.

Transportation: there are buses on the main roads. My hotel had tickets for sale. It was super easy to get around, including to a near by super market-ette. Since there is a direct flight from Philadelphia, they must know what we like, because the food for sale was a mix of east coast and British. Note, I am not and was not interested in renting any of the scooters. I think alternate arrangements can be made to reach the entire island - bus or taxi.

Things to do: any guide book or good website will spell these out. I never had too much time and valued sitting in the sun more than anything, but did visit Hamilton. I must say it was very relaxing sitting in the sun at the top of a cliff - and very few airplanes, if any. I did shopping in Hamilton and had some lovely meals there.

Food: Bermuda has given me some lifelong beloved products: Outerbridges Sherry Pepper sauce and Gosling Black Seal rum

My favorite time to visit Bermuda is November just as the US is sinking into deep autumn but Bermuda is still in the 70s. When I was there in November, the Christmas lights were being strung though it was warm enough to sun-bathe and wear a bathing suit.

I think you will enjoy it.