Please sign in to post.

Australia 180 day blood test workaround?

I have a dog and we are emigrating to Australia in 3 months. Unfortunately, our vet thought that the rabies titer test was only needed 90 days before export. Turns out its 180 days!!!
His vaccines are all up to date so no issue there.

Essentially do you know of any way to get around this?
Any questionable vets that would back date the results?
Seriously desperate...

Posted by
985 posts

I'm sorry Shaun. Everywhere I have looked online states that the rabies titer has to be completed between 180 days and 24 months of arrival date. I would not chance someone backdating test results. You could very well end up with them euthanizing your dog. Get the testing done and find someone to keep the animal until it can be shipped is all I can guess to do. I would not take any chances on them having a reason to refuse my pet and possibly kill it because conditions weren't met. Here is the link to where I was getting my info. - looks like a lot of hoops! moving dogs

Posted by
985 posts

Shaun - try looking for pet sitters. Find a reputable one that has done the proper training. See if something can be arranged. Sometimes they may have a slot where you could pay for them to temporarily home them. I will speak with my own pet sitter and see if she can think of anything.

Posted by
985 posts

Shaun - can you pm me where you live? On the phone with her now.

Posted by
985 posts

Sorry for the delay. Best suggestion is exploring rescue contacts in London or maybe even rescue contacts in Australia for help. The finding of a vet who will backdate results was not discounted but I myself would be wary.

Posted by
2393 posts

Have you tried calling the Aus Agriculture Dept?

Call 1800 900 090

Was he vaccinated & tested anytime before that? If they were tested anytime between Aug 2015 and Feb 2017 (not sure of your specific date) but its no more than two years and no less than 180 days

What you need to do Recommended Earliest Latest
Visit your vet 06 Jan 2017 06 Jul 2015 15 Jan 2017
Take your pet to the Government Approved Veterinarian and ask them to:
a) Scan their microchip and confirm it matches all health records; and
b) Vaccinate your pet against Rabies; and
c) Write a note for you to take that confirms they performed (a) and (b)

Visit your vet 05 Feb 2017 05 Aug 2015 05 Feb 2017
Take your pet to the Government Approved Veterinarian and ask them to:
a) Scan their microchip and confirm it matches all health records; and
b) Take a blood sample to test for Rabies; and
c) Write a note that confirms they have performed (a) and (b).

Posted by
24 posts

I'm a veterinarian in the USA and have been involved in shipping cats and dogs from America to rabies-free areas like Hawaii and England. It is a complicated and multi-step process. First, nobody can back date your rabies titer test results. The official government form is dated, and even if there was some way around that, faking the test date would put the veterinarian's license in jeopardy. Even if you were my best client, I wouldn't risk my career for you. Second, keeping a zoonotic and potentially epidemic disease like rabies out of a rabies-free island country (or state) is a serious thing. Nobody screws around when it comes to rabies.

Is your dog's epilepsy controlled with medication? If he doesn't have seizures very often (less than every three months) and is well-adjusted, he could be cared for by a close friend, family member, or responsible, bonded pet sitter. If he is in poor health, ask your veterinarian if s/he can do long-term boarding at the hospital or clinic.

If there is no other choice, look into him staying in quarantine in Australia for the first three months of your stay. It is my least favorite option, but better than trying to sneak your dog into the country. Remember what happened to Johnny Depp and his wife when they broke the rabies protocol.

Posted by
985 posts

I think Kathi gives good advice and I would look into those options.