Please sign in to post.

Amman to Wadi Rum

I read with interest the recent post from karla.catania about Petra and was happy to see many helpful responses. I also have a Jordan question.

I arrive in Amman in the afternoon of October 10th. (I'm flying from Cairo, having just completed a tour in Egypt.) I have free days on the 11th and 12th, and then start a tour of Jordan and Israel on the 13th. The tour includes various sites in Jordan, including Petra, but not Wadi Rum, which I'm really keen on visiting.

I found a tour from Amman to Wadi Rum and back in one day. It seems a very long way to go and come back all in one day, but reviews I read say it's worth it.

All the overnight tours also include Petra and other sites I'll be visiting on the tour that starts on the 13th. I got a quote for a custom overnight tour just to Wadi Rum, and it's very pricey (about 4x what the day trip would cost).

What are your thoughts on Wadi Rum? Should I go with the one-day round trip? Or is it worth spending a lot to stay overnight?

Posted by
11130 posts

I did not get to Wadi Rum but want to make sure that you will visit Jerash!

Posted by
1743 posts

Jerash is on the tour itinerary. Thanks!

Posted by
1556 posts

I would not do a one day tour to Wadi Rum if going all the way from Amman. Maybe from Aqaba a day trip would work since I think it is only 1.5 hours one way between the two places. The draw of Wadi Rum is the desert and the dunes and especially spending a night in the desert under the stars. It is a magical place at sunset and sunrise when you are all alone. I enjoyed the experience of having our meal cooked in the sand.

My experience is old now - did this in 2008 and it was fairly rough (sleeping arrangements, etc.). Don't remember who we used or what we paid but at that time it wasn't too expensive; though i did get myself to the entrance of wadi rum (taxi from Petra where we had spent the previous 2 nights).

Posted by
4048 posts

If your tour includes sites in Amman and Petra, as well as Jerash, AND you have one overnight available, then look into a driver to and from Wadi Rum. It IS a drive but with a late afternoon/evening/overnight/morning at one of the camps, then back for the start of your tour, it wouldn’t be hard. Let me know if you want the contact info for my driver. He knows a lot about the area, but isn’t a licensed guide (and you wouldn’t need one) so would not be as expensive, I suspect, as a private tour.

Admittedly I came back to Amman from Petra and not Wadi Rum but the distance is about the same. On the way, we stopped at Mt. Nebo and spend several hours in Madaba. Well worth your 2 extra days.

Edit: Wadi Rum is a lot more updated than when Arnold was there. Depending on the location of the camp you choose (ranges from very simple to very luxurious), your driver can drop you at the camp itself - or at the very least at the Visitor’s Center and your camp,will arrange transportation from there.

Posted by
288 posts

I just returned from Jordan on Monday—happy to answer any questions but just wanted to say it’s a 4 hour drive between Amman and Wadi Rum—definitely would not do it as a day trip.

Posted by
1743 posts

Thanks for all the responses.

I've made arrangements to be picked up at the airport in Amman and driven to Wadi Rum, where I will stay two nights, giving me a full day before I head back to Amman to begin the tour.

Posted by
3816 posts

We just returned from Egypt, Jordan and Israel last weekend. We stayed overnight in Wadi Rum at a camp. It was the highlight of the trip for me. We did the Jeep ride in the desert, you can take a camel. Going to sleep to the sunset and watching the sunrise over the hills from our tent was magical. We actually got caught in a short sand storm then it rained in the desert. Such a fabulous experience.

Posted by
149 posts

Hi Lane- I'm late to chime in, but I'm glad to hear you'll be able to fit in an overnight! When we go to Wadi Rum, it's usually for two nights (but one would be doable). I would NOT fit in in as day trip. For one, it's too long of a drive, but more importantly- the desert is at its most magical at sunrise/ sunset. You will want to be there in the evening to see the sun go down. In October, it will be still hot during the day but should be cool at night. Enjoy your trip! Happy to add any more Jordan recommendations if needed (I'm living in Amman as an expat). -Christine