Please sign in to post.

Airlines

I am in the final stages of planning my trip to south east Asia. My plan is to fly Toronto to Bangkok and Hong Kong to Toronto. Cathay Pacific has great reviews but is $300 more than Eva airlines. Has anyone used them. Since it is such a long flight I am thinking of going with Cathay pacific but willing to look at other airlines

Thanks
Wendy

Posted by
1206 posts

Suggest you try flyertalk.com. Folks there do a lot of flying on various airlines and may have useful insight.

Posted by
2822 posts

Wendy, Suggest that you take a look at www.seatguru.com to compare the seat configurations (width, pitch, etc.) and flight amenities for each. You can look up the specific aircraft type for the flights you're interested in and do a side-by-side comparison to see if the extra cost is worth it - it'll all depend on how they configure the particular cabin. We've relied on that website for quite a few years to maximize our comfort on long-haul trans Pacific flights.

Posted by
1556 posts

Cathay may be a bit better than Eva from a service perspective but I would assume the seat, etc. is pretty much the same. Not sure if Eva flies the Hello Kitty planes to YYZ - you can look these up. Overall, I would save your money - since a lot of the Asian carriers have really good service and it the separation between the major carriers is probably not that much.

That said, my comments are based on what I've read elsewhere - I have not flown these particular carriers but have flown Singapore (probably the best for economy service), Asiana, ANA, Thai, Korean among the major East & SE Asian carriers.

Posted by
3391 posts

Charlie! People on this website are extremely well-traveled and a wealth of knowledge! Notice the title of this section - "Beyond Europe" - the intent is to provide a platform for questions not pertaining to Europe and it's very appropriate for people to post questions regarding these places here. Why do you keep telling people to go elsewhere? I'm sure they are taking advantage of websites that contain information specifically designed for the locations they are inquiring about...this is just one more resource and a very good one at that.

Posted by
565 posts

I don't know if the curmudgeonly "advice" is an act or not, but it's rude, not helpful and not funny. Please excuse yourself from this forum if you are incapable of providing helpful advice.

Wendy, I've never flown Cathay Pacific but it is routinely ranked among the best in the world. I flew ANA to Tokyo a few years ago and it is head and tails above any American or European carrier. It was absolutely worth the extra dough.

Posted by
350 posts

Thanks for the advice. I am know looking at leaving Toronto on Christmas day to join a tour leaving Bangkok on dec 27 so there are less options regarding flights. As for being questioned about posting questions there are not about Europe on this sight I have got and give good advice on this sight

Thanks
Wendy

Posted by
21 posts

Wendy:

Go with Eva Airlines. They are a good airline.

J

Posted by
350 posts

Thanks for the advice went with Eva $300 less than air Canada and $400 less than Cathy Pacific that money will go a long way in Thailand.