My family (husband and I, two teens, ages 17 and 14) have 6.5 days in Japan in early April. (Fly into Narita on a Saturday in late afternoon, depart the following Saturday from Haneda Airport mid-afternoon. This is our first trip there and I'm thinking we will probably only have time for Tokyo and Kyoto, but am open to suggestions. Given we have limited time, I prefer not to spend hours and hours traveling from one city to another. A couple of factors:
- My teenagers are probably not going to want to see a temple a day :-), so I'd want to just hit the "don't miss" ones. Same with museums.
- We'd love to experience a ryokosan in Kyoto -- any recs?
- In Tokyo, I'd like to stay in a central location with easy access to
transit so we can get easily to sights. Everything seems pretty
expensive though. Are we not likely to find a family room (quad)
option? I've heard it's rare in Japan.
- We love Japanese food, open-air markets, walking neighborhoods.
- Any suggestions on which train pass to purchase?