Please sign in to post.

Klaipeda Lithuania.

We are going on a cruise that has 11 hours in port. So far I haven't figured out what there is to see here. The pictures look like more of a modern city, but I did see some Cold War history which I find interesting. Anyone else have experience with this city and what things to see or do. Is this a place we can walk around on our own? We prefer to do things on our own most of the time, so we can go at our pace.

Posted by
16893 posts

Sorry, staff here don't have any personal experience of Klaipeda. Hope it's a great adventure!

Posted by
703 posts

@Jackie, sorry I didn’t notice your post earlier. We’ve been to Klaipeda 3 times for a month each and have some information to share. To the West of where your ship docks is the Curonian spit. The village of Nida is fun to just poke around. Nearby is Witches’ Hill. Take a walk among the wood carvings with a guide or guidebook and learn about Lithuanian folklore or mythology. On the Baltic Sea side of the spit you could search for amber along the beach. Back in Klaipeda itself, find Theater Square. There you’ll see stands offering amber of all sorts with no search involved. Nearby is the tourist information center with good English speakers. There are several museums in town--the Castle Museum is good. The town is long and narrow, and is safe to walk. Enjoy visiting old town. There are churches to visit, monuments to martyrs and others, and a German soldiers cemetery. Further north is Palanga (about 28 km.), a beach resort that is very popular in the Summer. You’d need to go by bus or taxi. Go to www.inyourpocket.com for a free, downloadable guide to Klaipeda.

@Ilja, of course Lithuania is in Europe. But it is one of the small handful of European countries not listed here under the new face of the helpline so Jackie probably didn't know where to post.

Posted by
4637 posts

@Galen: yes, that's a little problem but probably it would be better to post it under General Europe.