Please sign in to post.

Socks

Ok, not quite shoes, but . . . I live in a warm climate that allows me to wear sandals and slip ons most of the year. Which is fortunate because I hate socks! No matter how light weight they are my feet sweat. We’re heading to Scotland next month so I’m going to be wearing warmer walking shoes. Any recommendations for lightweight socks? I think cotton is probably my best bet but I don’t know what brand(s) to look for. Wool is out because I’m allergic.

Thanks, Cathy

Posted by
1056 posts

Unless you have heated towel racks in your hotel room, don’t count on cotton socks drying if you wash them and hang them up to dry overnight.

Posted by
8440 posts

Cathy, its true that cotton dries slow. Nevertheless, I like Under Armor brand "Charged Cotton" socks, as they are comfortable and dry soft. Supposedly treated to minimize odor. I see them at major sporting goods chains, like Dick's, Sports Authority, etc.

Posted by
2527 posts

Merino wool socks summer and winter in flyover territory for this poster.

Posted by
23267 posts

If wool is completely out then you need some type of a blended synthetic sock, medium weight to help keep you feet dry. Dry feet are critical and cotton absorbs and holds moisture. I wear a medium weight wool sock year around. There are some wools - believe Merino wool is one - that are non-allergic. You should try it if you have time. Blisters can really cause problems when traveling.

Posted by
1221 posts

I'n also allergic to wool socks (and no, merino wool and wool blends are still definitely twenty steps to itching and rashes) and if you google 'vegan hiking socks' you can get some ideas on good wool-free options. I've had decent luck with the lightweight or half-crew running sock wool-free options from Thorlo, Lorpen, Darn Tough, Fox River and Merrill in recent years.

Most companies make different socks from different material blends so do always read labels and product information carefully before purchase.

Posted by
6788 posts

Pro Tip: These days almost every room you'll be sleeping in (hotel, B&B, short-term apartment rental, etc.) will come with a blow dryer in the bathroom. In a pinch, these can be surprisingly effective in drying out socks and even shoes if you've been caught out in weather that exceeds expectations. Do be careful of using them with high heat settings on things that can't handle that. And some things like sneakers/running shoes can take a surprisingly long time to fully dry if they get soaked, even with such extreme measures. But this does work. Don't ask me how I know...

That said, the above technique is best held in reserve for emergencies, rather than planning to make it a regular part of your routine.

Posted by
488 posts

Stay away from cotton for socks. If you're going to be walking around and on your feet a lot, cotton will only encourage blisters and swampy feet.
You're allergic to wool, if you're mildly allergic you may try to test out socks which are blended. Wool processing has improved quite a bit over the last 10-years.
The other alternative is to check-out a running store(s) and see the socks that they have. Some runners do prefer a thicker sock over the paper thin socks that are common.

Posted by
3518 posts

I am also a no sock person. I have used boat shoes without socks as my default footwear. In the winter where I am now, it does snow so I have snow shoes I wear (not the tennis racket looking things you strap on your feet, but insulated water resistant shoes). I also go without socks with those often as long as the temp is not too far below freezing. On trips as far north as Norway, and on a trip to Scotland, I have worn my boat shoes without socks and been perfectly comfortable.

Posted by
5835 posts

RE: And some things like sneakers/running shoes can take a surprisingly long time to fully dry if they get soaked, even with such extreme measures.
Our "waterpoof" (Gortex lined) boots still get soaked in a rain deluge event. We dry them by first removing the boot insoles then stuffing the boots with balled up dry newspaper (after pouring/shaking the water out). It may take several changes of dry newpaper balls but the paper absorbs the water or at least enough of the water for walking the next day.

While cotton socks are fine for around the town wear, a synthetic (if you can't tolerate merino wool) is a better choice if you are doing serious walking in Scotland. If you look up REI's "Women's Hiking Socks", the REI search filter shows:
Wool / Wool Blend (88)
Nylon / Nylon Blend (4)
Polyester / Polyester Blend (21)
Silk / Silk Blend (1)
Polypropylene / Polypropylene Blend (2)
I like the Cool Max brand of polyester as a fast drying material.

Try/use the socks before your trip. If they don't work (i.e. blisters or fit pressure points) you don't want to find out during your trip.

Posted by
4154 posts

I also avoid wool, but for some reason, the Sockwell Circulator and Orbital socks with this fiber content "34% Merino Wool, 34% Bamboo Rayon, 28% Stretch Nylon, 4% Spandex" do not bother me. They are available from several online vendors, many of which do not list the right fiber content. Two pair go on every trip with me, one on my feet and legs and one in my carry-on.