Please sign in to post.

Shoe choices for italy

I will be traveling to Italy next Aprl 14-May 3. I have read all the previous posts about shoes that gave me a lot of insight from your experiences. I only want to take 2 pairs (like everyone else!), one being something I can walk miles in, like a tie show with thicker sole. REI shoes seem bulky, more for hiking. I'm considering Merrells and Dansko next. It has to have good arch support and be lightweight. Wish me luck!
My traveling companion is taking sandals as her second pair. I would have thought it was too early for sandals. What do you think?
Should my second pair be an ankle boot or leather flat?

Thank you!

Posted by
11507 posts

I took sandals in May to Europe.. and wore them, but that's just me.. April might be a bit more iffy.

I wouldn't take ankle boots , too heavy and hot for April or May .

Posted by
27111 posts

Kathy, I have rather high arches, too. Before my long 2015 trip I went to an expensive shoe store (not my usual source), and the salesman recommended Aetrex memory-foam orthotics inside the lace-up shoes I had selected. I used the orthotics to replace the much thinner inner soles originally supplied with the shoes. The orthotics provided some additional cushioning as well as arch support. Unfortunately, they are expensive. There might be less expensive options that would also be helpful.

There's no substitute for trying on a bunch of sturdy shoes to see how they feel. I walk a great deal and take only a single pair of shoes, so I love having something with a very spongy, cushy sole as shown in that link, but I don't think any of those shoes would be great for rainy weather. They are very lightweight, however, being made partly of (very porous) fabric. The open-work loops on the soles provide the bounce I love, but they are far from ideal for country walking.

It seems that where shoes are concerned, there are usually trade-offs--and that's before you start thinking about the cost of quality footwear.

I took leather-soled sandals on my first trip to Europe and learned from the experience. I would not want any kind of thin-soled shoe in Europe because your feet will be on hard surfaces almost all day long. Perhaps simple flats would be OK if you plan to change for dinner and will be eating in your hotel or taking a taxi to and from the restaurant. Otherwise, I think you'll find that the bottoms of your feet hurt.

Posted by
221 posts

The orthotics would be so worth the price to have happy feet!
I was considering ankle boots because of possible rain, but don't want to take something I won't wear. I have a pair of leather flats that will do I think.
Is it important to have waterproof everyday casual/athletic shoes or not? Some sites recommend it......

Posted by
23267 posts

Unfortunately this is more of a male perspective but I can tell you what "we" do. ..... seem bulky, more for hiking...... But that is exactly what you are doing - hiking - miles and miles - in a urban setting instead of trails but the terrain of cobblestones, broken concrete, and sometimes a gravel path can be just as rough. We both wear an ECCO city (something) that is a laced oxford, smooth toe, with a heavy, lugged sole, and is waterproof (not resistant). Personally think waterproof is critical since you cannot predict rain. An umbrella and/or rain jacket does not protect the feet. Nothing worse than cold, wet feet. For your time frame rain and cool weather would be expected. For us, function beats style when sightseeing during the day. We have a second insole for these shoes and change daily to keep the interior of the shoe dry and fresh. My wife does pack a dresser, black flats should we go somewhere in the evening and they don't take up much room. I only take the pair I am wearing.

Posted by
27111 posts

I have never taken waterproof or even water-resistant shoes to Europe, but I hate cold weather and even chilly weather if rain is likely, so I gravitate to summer trips and do a lot of my traveling south of the Alps. If I had plans to do a country walk and the weather turned chilly and wet, I would simply change my plans.

But next year's trip is to France and England and encompasses May and the first half of September as well as the hotter/drier months. Even though I'm starting out in southern France, I'm sure I won't have dry weather everywhere, so this time I'm taking waterproof shoes. They don't have the bouncy soles I prefer, so I'm crossing my fingers that my feet and lower back hold up.

A lot depends on luck and how you plan to spend your time. If you'll mostly be doing museums and other indoor sights and are willing to use taxis, you may be able to take more risks with your footwear. I know what you mean about not wanting heavy shoes. I don't take high-cut shoes or boots.

Posted by
1625 posts

One must have shoe for me is my Sketchers tennis shoes (slip on) which are super light, provide lots of cushion, support and a slight raised heel for maximum comfort for my calves and feet. Like a PP mentioned you can rip out the insert and use your own, which I also do with Aetrex or Vionic being my go to brands for insoles. I take 4 pairs of shoes and all are perfect for my planters factitious prone feet, My Sketchers, a pair of flip flops (Vionic), sandals (Aetrex) and an ankle book (Vionic). This is my winning combo and I am sticking to it! I will take maybe two pairs of socks for the ankle boots only. My other requirement for a shoe is to able for me to feel sure footed regardless if I am walking on cobblestones or the smooth surface of a museum floor.

Posted by
79 posts

I took a pair of Cole Haan flats for the evening, a pair of SAS sandals, a pair of Ecco Flash sandals and my closed in shoe was a pair of Cole Haan wingtips with the zero gran soles. The Wingtips were perfect, they were light and the sole was like an athletic shoe sole. Glad I took 2 pairs of sandals because the SAS pair has a smooth sole which proved to be too slippery on the stone steps and walkways. The ECCO Flash were my favorite. My husband took 2 pairs of shoes an Ecco athletic shoes and a leather pair of Sperry Top Siders.

Posted by
221 posts

So many shoe choices! Today, I purchased and am trying out Dansko's Paisley hiker. It is suede and waterproof. I'm hoping they work so I can stop thinking about shoes, haha. I didn't really consider that I would be an urban hiker, so thanks for that thought. The ball of my feet frequently hurt in my newer Nikes, so with the firm sole of the Dansko shoe I hope this will be alleviated.
Add a Leather flat and....maybe a sandal will take care of shoes.

Thanks everyone and Happy New Year.

Posted by
221 posts

So many shoe choices! Today, I purchased and am trying out Dansko's Paisley hiker. It is suede and waterproof. I'm hoping they work so I can stop thinking about shoes, haha. I didn't really consider that I would be an urban hiker, so thanks for that thought. The ball of my feet frequently hurt in my newer Nikes, so with the firm sole of the Dansko shoe I hope this will be alleviated.
Add a Leather flat and....maybe a sandal will take care of shoes.

Thanks everyone and Happy New Year.

Posted by
1625 posts

Kathy- keep a watch on the pain in your heels, could be the start of a flare up for Planters Fictitious. Nice that you can wear flats, no go for me any more, all my shoes must now have arch support and a slight heel which most tennis shoes have.

Posted by
528 posts

I love Ecco shoes for travel. When it might rain, I use the goretex lined shoes, otherwise, in the summer, I use the mesh ones. They are super comfortable (I do have an orthotic) and they look a little classier than plain ol' tennis shoes. Here's a link to some waterproof ones. They're expensive but if you go to sites like 6pm or sierratradingpost, you can find old styles on sale.

http://www.6pm.com/p/ecco-sport-yura-gtx-black-black/product/8517304/color/183092

I would only take sandals as my second shoe if the weather forecast the week before your departure looks warm. Also depends on what part of Italy:)

Posted by
1412 posts

For italy in june i took Nike athletic shoes (long story, but im glad i did) and a pair of birkenstock sandals with an ankle strap that tolerated the cooblestones well. I also had a pair of one dollar flip fops to wear in the room in the evening & downstairs to breakfast

Posted by
650 posts

I've become addicted to Ziera shoes. They did away with my PF in about a week. And they forestall museum feet for hours.

Posted by
1 posts

Europe is having a serious cold spell at the moment - so definitely recommend not only taking sandals. Bring at least one pair of walking boots and try and pick breathable ones that wont get to sweaty when wet!

James

Posted by
61 posts

Dansko ankle boots and Sketchers memory foam slip ons, well broken in, even with athletic insoles did NOT work for the Venice, Florence, and Rome trip. My feet and back hurt the whole trip (and I walk several miles per day for exercise). Because of this, I gave up trying to look fashionable and wore dark soled New Balance walking/hiking shoes with athletic insoles as my only shoes for my next trip. Like many, I have also experienced plantar fasciitis and have high arches/instep.

Posted by
381 posts

Keen's get my vote for sandals and lace ups. The sandals are cooler than sneakers and protect your toes from stubs and grime in cities. If necessary you can always put an low cut sock on for either warmth or additional cushion. The Keen oxford lace ups are waterproof and they have served me well in Austria, Germany, Scotland, Ireland, France and Italy. Depending on the weather I can either wear them with wool athletic socks and long pants or Keen low cut socks and shorts or shorts. If you feel like you needed a dressier shoe just add a ballet flat for evening. The Keens have a wonderful wide toe box and are so comfortable I never think about my feet and we are active travelers and walk 10-12 miles per day.

Posted by
381 posts

Keen's get my vote for sandals and lace ups. The sandals are cooler than sneakers and protect your toes from stubs and grime in cities. If necessary you can always put an low cut sock on for either warmth or additional cushion. The Keen oxford lace ups are waterproof and they have served me well in Austria, Germany, Scotland, Ireland, France and Italy. Depending on the weather I can either wear them with wool athletic socks and long pants or Keen low cut socks and shorts or shorts. If you feel like you needed a dressier shoe just add a ballet flat for evening. The Keens have a wonderful wide toe box and are so comfortable I never think about my feet and we are active travelers and walk 10-12 miles per day.