Please sign in to post.

LL Bean boots for December travel?

i bought a pair of LL Bean boots for my trip to Europe in December. I bought them because they are waterproof and basically made for that kind of environment. I live in Florida and have no experience with winter boots (we wear flip flops year round!).
I'm concerned with how comfortable they will be to walk around in all day. Does anyone have experience with these boots? Recommendations for super comfy insoles?
We are going to London, Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, Nuremberg, Munich and Amsterdam the month of December thru the first week of January touring the Christmas Markets.

Posted by
5697 posts

I had the same situation last December -- not a lot of snow in San Francisco either. I wore wool socks (2 pair on really cold days in Austria and Germany) and didn't use insoles. Got used to the heavier boots pretty quickly. But break them in at home !

Posted by
439 posts

Hi,

What type of boots, shoe boots, quarter boots or big high boots? It looks like you will be travelling to cities, most of the snow will be cleared from the streets. When you are blessed with snow on a regular basis, they get pretty efficient at cleaning it. London probably won't even have any. Unless we get dumped with 10in of snow, I usually get away with shoe boots going into the office, they aren't as heavy. Just bought a new pair from LL Bean.

Also wait closer to your trip, see what the forecast is showing.

Mary

Posted by
13800 posts

If you are a Costco member, watch in Sept when the start putting their winter gear out. Last year they had some 3 or 4 packs of wool socks which were great. Someone on the forum did find them in FL.

I also think you are going to have to bite the bullet and take them to the coldest air conditioned Mall in your area and put some miles on them! Walking in them will be the only way you will know if they are comfortable on your feet.

And yes, I lived in FL and when I was prepping for winter vacations out West that is what I did. Go really early before the stores open. Many Malls open early for walkers.

Posted by
915 posts

I highly recommend Smartwool brand socks. They make some with extra padding through the arch if you need it. They machine wash well. Agree with others--definitely break the boots in as much as possible. A low-cut hiker would do fine for your purposes. Have fun!

Posted by
5835 posts

LL Bean boots, as in leather and rubber made in Maine for walking in Maine bogs LL Bean boots? As featured in this NPR broadcast:
http://www.npr.org/2014/12/18/371413482/new-popularity-of-l-l-bean-boots-sparks-scramble-to-fill-orders

I've been to London, Prague and Salzburg late winter and can say that while streets and pavements may be wet, they are major European cities and have snow removal protocols.

If you venture to small country villages that allow snow and ice buildup, removable boot cleats like Yaktracks or Ice-trekkers are more useful than rubber boots.
https://www.yaktrax.com
https://www.icetrekkers.com

Posted by
1840 posts

Bean boots are the totally coolest footwear on the face of the earth. I've walked in them carrying a canoe, carrying a backpack, going to work, you name it. The old style let you wear heavy wool socks, but the newer ones are more snug. I have a pair of each. Bean will put new rubber bottoms on the leather tops if you wear out the tread. I put new tread on mine using Shu Goo. One more thing, you have to be pretty self confident to wear them in public.

Posted by
7179 posts

You should practice walking in them. I went to college in Maine and have used Bean's low rubber shoe for years. I keep a pair in my car. But they are not the most comfortable shoes to walk long distances in, for ME. I suspect that a semi-waterproof hiking shoe you know and love would be just as good for URBAN walking. The taller Bean shoes need the leather sealed with their aftermarket Mink Oil or something else you rely on. I also find them sweaty for a whole day. Perhaps a plastic insole would hold the foot better than their pile insole.

When we went to Southeast Alaska, I don't think a Bean Boot would have done the RURAL job. We needed 16" rubber boots, and luckily I found one that was comfortable enough for under $50. But I wouldn't bother with that in a city.

Posted by
985 posts

Lisa - I too live in Fl and am more used to wearing flip-flops. Last year I bought some Teva De la Vina waterproof low boots - the first boots I've had in years. I went to Foot Solutions and got some cushy partly custom insoles ( $60) and I can wear those boots all day. I loved them so much I bought the knee length boots went they went on sale for half price at REI. Fairly lightweight and the waterproofing is marvelous. Get yourself some merino wool socks - I like the wigwam brand. Smooth, tight knit, and they keep my foot temperature regulated whether in heat or cold. They are not itchy like cheap wool. Look on Amazon and also Sierra Trading post. Google if you have to - some good deals are out there. A merino sweater would be ideal for your trip too.