Please sign in to post.

Let's talk socks

Riveting topic, I know.

While working on getting my walking shoes in order for my upcoming travels I realized my socks have seen better days. What are your recommendations for socks that don’t ride down, don’t cut off circulation, generally don’t suck, etc.? I prefer ankle length or low rise but I mostly prefer no blisters.

Posted by
2267 posts

This is a topic to which I have given an unusual about of thought!

My first rule of thumb is always good wool content. Merino is nice—alpaca even better. I prefer a sock with light cushioning.

I second the Darn Tough, though the run a touch small—size up in you're on the cusp.

I have lots of Smartwool socks, but they aren't super durable. (Easier to find on sale though.) Feet to Farm is another good brand, and REI has good stuff in their house brand.

I've recently bought a couple of pairs of "moderate compression" kneehighs. Far less constrictive than traditional compression socks, but still nicely supportive. Mine are from Sockwell—with Merino, and come in colors and patterns that are neither clinical nor overly "fun".

Posted by
682 posts

I wear Darn Tough, SmartWool, and the REI house brand. They all work well for me.

Posted by
1970 posts

Rototo, Darn Tough (as mentioned they run small), REI and Smartwool.

Posted by
60 posts

If your feet are not happy, your whole body is unhappy.
I use the REI branded sock.
Those Darn socks are great but as stated, they run small plus they don't seem to be same height as REI.
The Smartwool are great for the first few months, then they wear out behind the heel and bottom.

Posted by
4540 posts

I just can't wear wool. At all. So my #1 rule for socks is that they dry fast.

Posted by
2291 posts

This is a topic to which I have given an unusual about of thought!

Haha, exactly why I knew this was the place to ask.

Posted by
398 posts

Besides the ones mentioned ( I use Darn Tough for hiking), the Wright brand was also recommended to me. They are two layers so supposedly lessen friction against your feet. They also have less padding than the other brands so won’t take up as much space in the shoe. The guy I talked to said he uses the other brands to start hikes and then switches to aweigh t for later when the feet get swollen. This may be a bit much for your needs, but if your researching, might as well have all the info! Feet are important.

Posted by
984 posts

Costco sells wool socks in the Kirkland brand that I love. They are not expensive, they feel good on my feet, and they stay in place. They usually only have them out in the fall and early winter though.

Posted by
2339 posts

I didn't even consider wool socks for the longest time because I can't wear wool next to my skin, at least not sweaters, scarves, or hats. Finally got some and found they didn't irritate my feet. At all. SO much better than the soggy cotton socks I wore before.

Posted by
2291 posts

I'm thinking I need to go to REI and see/touch these socks in person. I believe they sell the Darn socks there too. Never thought I'd be excited to sock shop, but I kinda am...

Posted by
13809 posts

Well, weirdo Pam is posting about her feet again, lol!!

I like Injinji toe socks. They keep your toes dry and separated from each other and helps maintain toe splay. They are not like novelty toe socks, they fit and are comfortable. I like the Women's Run Lightweight No-show style but also have the Mini-crew. I also have their compression socks that I wear on the airplane.

https://www.injinji.com/weight/lightweight.html

I've tried Smartwool and several other kinds of merino wool socks. I know Merino is not supposed to make you itch but it does me. I can tolerate the Costco brand Merino wool crew socks in the winter time but not more than 2-3 days in a row, then I have to have a non-wool sock.

Definitely go look, feel and perhaps buy a few different kinds and see what feels good on your feet!

Posted by
4540 posts

Thanks for the Balegas recommendation, I appreciate it. My challenge with Merino wool, cashmere, and (perhaps) their mohair socks, is not scratchiness/softness, but allergies. Within a few minutes, the finest cashmere makes me want to rip whatever it is off. I'm envious of the "packing light" discussions of Merino wool layers. So while there may be a brand or a sheep or goat breed that would be ok, all my socks (and layers) are cheap synthetics.

Still, I'm reading this thread with interest, especially for some of the non-wool recommendations. And if there were dog fur socks, I could wear those!

Posted by
2291 posts

Pam, between the socks and the shoes I feel like I've thought of nothing but feet for days. As someone mentioned, feet are important!

Posted by
206 posts

I like Bombas for socks. No toe seam and they stay up well. They come in various styles and heights. I’ve only worn the cotton blend, but they also have merino wool.

Posted by
584 posts

For me, it's been Smart Wool that has run small, and they wear out. I wear a 6.5 shoe, and a small in Darn Tough is all I buy and wear now. No more socks falling down into my boots and no more blisters.

I am sensitive to wool but I'm able to wear Darn Tough merino wool socks without issue.

Posted by
4138 posts

I'm another person who can't wear wool, except for my socks. I recently tried some Smart Wool ones and they are just not right for my feet and they dig into my ankles.

I'm a Sockwell fan. I get the moderate compression ones. I've collected them over the years, so I have a drawer full, in many colors and patterns. I wear them anytime I leave the house and sometimes at home, too.

With my aversion to wool, I was surprised at the fiber content and that I didn't itch. All the compression socks have fiber proportions similar to this:

32% Merino Wool

31% Rayon from Bamboo

32% Stretch Nylon

5% Spandex

I recently got these in pink to wear to our daughter's wedding. Her colors are pink, white and beige. I'll be wearing pants. They will show in the flats I'll be wearing.

I typically take 3 pairs of these socks on my European trips. They help enormously in all the ways mentioned in this Mythbusters article. I coordinate my trip socks with my limited travel wardrobe. They lift my spirits as well as help fight fatigue.

Other patterns and colors that I couldn't resist include these and these and these. Compression socks don't have to be boring.

Posted by
2291 posts

horsewoofie thanks for the alternative. I've never tried wool sock before so no idea how they'll feel on me.

Posted by
2668 posts

Aimee, I agree about the cosmetic chemical percentage. My husband is allergic to wool and petroleum products. Although his allergies have gotten better over the years and he's less sensitive, I don't want him to go through an allergic reaction. I learned to read ingredients long ago so he would not break out or itch but with all the changing chemical names they can be easy to miss. Because of him I quit wearing wool anything when we got married 50+ years ago.

Posted by
8377 posts

I like wool socks like Darn Tough too. But if you're not doing sink washing and dont have to worry about drying socks, nothing beats the comfort of cotton socks. I like Under Armour Charged Cotton socks. They are comfortable, absorb sweat and are odor resistant. We usually plan on laundromats or hotel laundry, so no drying problem.

Posted by
13809 posts

"Pam, between the socks and the shoes I feel like I've thought of nothing but feet for days. As someone mentioned, feet are important!"

Hahah...me too! Doing final packing today and the 2nd pr of shoes has been in, out, in, out, now back in. A friend texted she'd broken a shoelace this week and I'm not sure if there was anything else wrong with the shoe but she was recommending making sure to take a 2nd pr to walk in.

Such tough decisions BUT I've got to get my foundation right so I can be comfortable! I've had PF flares during trips (including one that was a hiking trip) and that is just misery. Shoes, socks, and various accessories are worth thinking about ahead of time!

Posted by
2668 posts

Haha Pam. Planning is everything. Pack the extra pair of shoes. We each know our age/injury problems. I pack a lightweight neoprene knee brace and an ace ankle brace because one or the other body part is going to hurt when I walk a lot. My feet keep telling me they want a third part of shoes, specifically the wider silver pair of FitFlop sandals.

Posted by
2633 posts

Do wool blend socks have to be hand washed?

I don’t hand wash them at home. But, they do dry quicker than cotton if you are hand-washing socks on the road. I think I took 6 pairs of socks with me on my last trip. So, I did hand-wash them once or twice. I was trying to save on laundry/dry cleaning costs. Socks are easy to hand-wash.

Posted by
2291 posts

That's what I intend to do. I've never done carry on only for an international trip, but I plan to in Sept. Maybe take 4-5 pairs of socks and underwear and hand wash. I'll be practicing on an 8 day domestic trip next month.

Posted by
752 posts

I know I’m late to the sock party, but can’t resist sharing my favorites.

Years ago I first found Falke socks in Paris and I fell in love. They are a family owned German company. Their anatomical fit (left and right) and the bands that stay up without any pressure won me over. Not widely distributed in the US, but they have an Amazon shop with free trial and return and also ship to the US from Germany.

Their Sensitive London style is cotton, the Sensitive Berlin is knitted so the cotton yarn touches your skin, but wool on the outside keeps you warm. I also have their running and hiking anatomical socks. Lots of other styles, the link below will show all anatomical including kids. Hand and machine wash.

https://www.falke.com/us_en/search/?q=Anatomical+&ms=true&p=4&sort=ft

Posted by
2291 posts

Speaking of sock party, my husband asked me what I was looking so focused on yesterday when he walked in the room.

"I'm talking to the people on the Rick Steves site about socks"

"Socks?"

"Yeah"

Blank stare. "He sells socks now?"

LOL We ended up going to REI last night and are now the proud owners of a pair of Darn Toughs each.

Posted by
752 posts

@roubrat hahaha Glad you found your socks! If you go shopping during your travels do keep an eye out for Falke. Your husband might like the wool-free ranges.

Posted by
2291 posts

Thanks, Barbara. It does sounds like a good option for the wool sensitive.

Posted by
4540 posts

"Socks?"

"Yeah"

Blank stare. "He sells socks now?"

classic! I can't stop chuckling at the thought of this conversation!! 🤣🤣

Posted by
13809 posts

OMG....I agree with CWsocial....such a funny interaction!

Based on this thread if Rick does start selling socks he'll need to stock at least 37 different kinds, lol!

Posted by
2291 posts

I mean, the man could not believe there is an ongoing multiple person multi-day in-depth discussion about socks! You guys would've loved his face when he saw the price-tag for the Darn Toughs. "For 19 bucks it should climb the damn mountain for me" LOL

Posted by
13809 posts

"the man could not believe there is an ongoing multiple person multi-day in-depth discussion about socks!"

Well, he is missing out on what is sometimes the highlight of my day...socks, shoes, travel purses, etc!

I'm glad you got him to spring for the socks. Honestly, once you find socks that you like you may have to spend more than you'd ever believe. Nothing like $15 for 6 pr tube socks, lolol!!!

(Although my winter go-to socks are the Costco Kirkland brand of Merino Wool crew socks that are about $16 for 4 pr. Yes, they itch if I wear them day after day but they are warm and do well on winter hikes. I actually have them on this morning since it's still in the 30's and almost noon, lol!!)

AND little did you know it IS a riveting topic!!

Posted by
4540 posts

"For 19 bucks it should climb the damn mountain for me"

And given our discussions of travel purses, they had better be magically able to contain a hat stand, a very large mirror, a potted plant, a floor lamp and shade with tassels, a pair (or 2 or 3) of travel shoes, a hand mirror and a tape measure. Along with our guidebook, travel umbrella, bottle of water, snacks, duct tape for emergencies, passport .... and 3 new pairs of travel socks, of course!

Posted by
2291 posts

AND little did you know it IS a riveting topic!!

The sign of a travel nerd - I find almost everything on this site riveting.

Posted by
3961 posts

I prefer the Smartwool no show. I find they run small. Haven’t tried the Darn Tough Socks or Pam’s favorite toe socks. May try them! Thanks for the discussion. “Sock it to me!” ;)

Posted by
206 posts

For those who’ve tried Bombas, have you worn the no-shows? Do they stay up and not slide down your heels?

I wear the Bombas ‘low cut no shows’ with dress shoes for work. In fact they are just about the only no-shows I’ve ever had that DON’T slip down into the shoes, and I’ve tried so many. I did have a problem with getting a hole in the big toe after just a few wears (Bombas replaced them for free). I think I solved this by going up a size (I wear womens 10-10.5 shoes), haven’t had any holes since. Otherwise I wear the ankle socks with casual shoes and sneakers. They are super comfortable and don’t get stretched out (and of course no toe seam, which is the best part).

Posted by
6231 posts

I love Balega socks (and they do come in a low-rise style). I used to wear Smartwool but they wore out so fast I finally gave up on them. Some of my other favorites are Darn Tough, Sockwell and Feetures.

In terms of sheer comfort, I'd have to go with either Balega or Feetures - both feel so good on my feet. The only problem I have with Darn Tough is that my foot size is right on the cusp of a medium and large. So the medium is a titch too small and the large a titch too big. But they're nice under gym shoes for long walks. I really like the Sockwells and plan to wear them on the flight, since they're a compression sock. They're also good for long walks.

I've never had blisters with any of the socks above.

Posted by
2291 posts

Anyone tried Icebreaker socks? I see they are on sale at REI.

Posted by
752 posts

roubrat, uh-oh, does your husband know this is the seventh day of sock party? A friend of mine swears by Icebreaker, I just let her know about the sale. Likes the anatomical (left/right) toe box.

Posted by
2291 posts

Hahaha Barbara! He didn't know about, care about, or especially want the "fancy socks" but he's already ordered another pair.

The irony is that for me the sock saga continues because I returned my Darn Toughs today. They felt great at first but then I realized I could no longer feel my feet until I took them off and wriggled my toes...ahh, relief. And I kept having to do that. They felt like they were cutting off circulation. I'm going to try different styles within the brand and other brands. I saw a lot of people online saying they felt really tight and someone upthread mentioned they run small. Another weekend of sock shopping!

(Also, I think the Icebreakers are on closeout, at least that's what the site says, so tell her to hurry).

Posted by
2291 posts

Thanks, Carrie. I had the women's version of that with the purple stripes. I assume the men's version might be wider, although my husband has really narrow feet while mine are not wide, but definitely not narrow either.

Posted by
33 posts

If you are looking for no show socks and cushion isn't a requirement, I recommend trying Ondo socks. (https://ondo.com/) For years, I struggled to find a no show sock that didn't slip off my heel. These socks are the real deal. They come in organic cotton or merino wool. I have a hard time wearing anything else when it comes to no show. I never thought I'd be an advocate for socks but here I am. LOL.

Posted by
2291 posts

Thank you, sueamill. I'm still on the hunt for socks that work - It's turned into quite the project! I had no idea I could be finicky about socks lol

Posted by
13809 posts

I'm still on the hunt for socks that work - It's turned into quite the project!

And much better to find out now instead of a few days in to your fabulous trip with blisters on your heels and squinched up toes, lol!!

Onward!

Posted by
2291 posts

Pam, according to my Delta app I have 145 days to figure it out! Well, that's my summer sorted.

Posted by
13809 posts

😝 😂 😆

It may keep you out of trouble!!

Posted by
104 posts

I am reading this thread with great interest. For years I have heard people swear by Smartwool and finally broke down and bought a pair. I loved them but they wore out at the heel and the ball of the foot. So, I bought another pair thinking this was just a one off, nope, the same thing happened with the new pair. I haven't bought any since. I'm so glad to know others have experienced this because I've been thinking that it was just me with an odd foot wearing pattern!

Posted by
2291 posts

Smartwool doesn't have the same guarantee as Darn Tough, do they?

Posted by
2291 posts

Update:

I emailed customer service at Darn Tough and she suggested these two styles that are not as tight as most. They aren't winning any prizes for prettiness, but I ordered one of each and am wearing the lightweight pair today. They actually DO feel less constricting and much more comfortable. I'm still waiting on a pair of SmartWool so I can compare.

https://darntough.com/products/unisex-merino-wool-t4093-tactical-quarter-lightweight-tactical-socks

https://darntough.com/products/unisex-merino-wool-t4088-tactical-quarter-midweight-tactical-socks